Anyone have any luck ordering original canvas?

fishbust

Reaction score
My 272 is missing the center backdrop. The rest looks original in good shape. It probably was not on the boat all the time.

From the Grady website I tried contacting everyone on their list. I figure they can make a single original piece that will fit right, assuming that is why they have a list in the first place.

No one either anwsers the phones, returns emails or calls me back. I did get 1 person on the phone but they said the owner was out to lunch and would call me back after lunch. That was 2 days ago. 1 piece isn't worth the trouble?

Can anyone recommend someone reliable for an OEM replacement piece? Any idea what that piece would cost if I locate a willing participant?

grady23

Reaction score
Contact A&J Canvas in Vanceboro, NC. phone 252-244-1509. They make all the canvas for Grady-White. I was there a couple of years ago and they still have almost all the patterns for Grady's going back 25+ years. Tell them Steve from Maryland MSSA sent you.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Great Lakes Boat Tops made the original canvas. Check their website.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
i believe i have extra one for my gulfstream it might be the same?? It is blue and in new condition. What year is you GW

fishbust

Reaction score
GreatWhite23 said:
i believe i have extra one for my gulfstream it might be the same?? It is blue and in new condition. What year is you GW

It is a 2000 272. Measurement is 29" X 93". Not even all the 272's are the same. Some changes are made within the same model number sometimes.

Reactions: Glightn

fishbust

Reaction score
Parthery said:
Great Lakes Boat Tops made the original canvas. Check their website.

Thanks. They were not on the list. Just put in a request/quote through their online form. Will see if they will make me the piece.

A&J was the shop I spoke to someone and they said "out to lunch" a couple days ago. Probably just busy.

I will keep trying until I have one being made. I do not care where it comes from. I gave the local shop first shot at it......twice = fail.

GreatWhite23

Reaction score
well it was worth checking, 28x83. I had my enclosure redone this year by a canvas man in central NC. I prefer the job he did over the factory, updated a lot of the snaps now have ties for all the pieces . The front windows are done so that the bead is separate from the windows zippered and lapped so it will not leak. I can take some pics next time I am at the coast. If spring ever shows. So maybe june or july???? Cost was 1,500. The man who did the work was in his fifties and had done most of his work in the great lakes region.

Graybeard

Reaction score
I went to the canvas guy that the members of the Chesapeake Bay GW Club uses and he told me to order the drop curtain I wanted from for my Freedon225 from GW rather than having him make one because it would be less expensive. I did just that and it fit right, but the pull on one of the zippers broke the first time I tried to put it up. I should have paid extra for a custom one

River Rat

Reaction score
Try M &M Boat Sales in Middle River, MD. They do a lot of Grady stuff. You might have to send them the two adjacent pieces so they can properly do the zippers. 410-391-2333

fishbust

Reaction score
Graybeard said:
I went to the canvas guy that the members of the Chesapeake Bay GW Club uses and he told me to order the drop curtain I wanted from for my Freedon225 from GW rather than having him make one because it would be less expensive. I did just that and it fit right, but the pull on one of the zippers broke the first time I tried to put it up. I should have paid extra for a custom one

Thanks but Grady does not support boats older than 10 year's old.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I took mine to A&J a couple years ago and they did a great job with new curtains. They are busy, best to give them a call and discuss as they kept my old curtains for a pattern since they lost most of their patterns due to floods some years back. Friendly folks for sure!

grady23

Reaction score
A&J Canvas is located outside of Washington, N.C. in Vanceboro --- They are family owned and operated. If "You" have a problem with a piece of their work, I would contact THEM before you post negative reviews of the work. It just could be a defective part they received. I'm sure they don't make their own zippers. Give a man a chance to make good before you do him harm on the internet. BTW -- They do ALL take lunch at the same time and don't work weekends unless necessary ---- I have no vested interest in this business.

Reactions: mrphyjammusashi

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
A and J is the source. I took my boat there and as long as the boat is not two years old or newer they will gladly work on it. I know they can be hard to reach but keep trying. My old 192 had Great Lakes on it but my 228 has A and J on it.

fishbust

Reaction score
SmokyMtnGrady said:
A and J is the source. I took my boat there and as long as the boat is not two years old or newer they will gladly work on it. I know they can be hard to reach but keep trying. My old 192 had Great Lakes on it but my 228 has A and J on it.

That is who I got on the phone (helper) and A or J or whoever was out to lunch and never returned the call.

So, as of now I have contacted everyone on the list, including Great Lakes, who were not on the list.
I have contacted some more than once.
Most did not answer the phone or did not reply to email. Those that did give me an answer, the answer was "no", they say they no longer have patterns for it. It is a 2000. What do they do, just throw them out, along with the money they make off them???? I do not know.

Grady should just remove that entire page of listings from their main website. It has proven to be useless.

So, I have a local shop, going to make me what I need and happy to do so but now 3 weeks out before he can get here, Spring is here. I wasted much time using the Grady site trying to get this canvas.

It will get done now. Thanks for the replies.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Fishbust, as mentioned A&J lost their patterns due to the floods that came through there years ago from the hurricanes. After being in their facility, they showed me the line on the wall and it was over top of their tables that held the patterns. Everything was ruined, thus why they wanted my old canvas so they could rebuild their pattern for my model boat. Now, if anyone needs the canvas for my model, they will have it.
Unfortunately, your only option now is for custom work at a local canvas shop since no one likely will have a pattern for your model.

fishbust

Reaction score
ROBERTH said:
Fishbust, as mentioned A&J lost their patterns due to the floods that came through there years ago from the hurricanes. After being in their facility, they showed me the line on the wall and it was over top of their tables that held the patterns. Everything was ruined, thus why they wanted my old canvas so they could rebuild their pattern for my model boat. Now, if anyone needs the canvas for my model, they will have it.
Unfortunately, your only option now is for custom work at a local canvas shop since no one likely will have a pattern for your model.

I can understand that Robert. However, they did not return my phone call to tell me. A courtesy call, even for the "no", would have sufficed and saved me yet another day or two in my quest.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Understand....and feel your pain......I have this problem nearly everywhere I call nowadays. Multiple emails, etc. But usually keep trying on the phone every hour and eventually someone answers. Go figure. I bet it if was my business and I did not answer, I would not last long. I guess it is nice to be in demand.
When I started my quest to get new canvas, I was told about a custom shop that was about 3 miles from where I store the boat. I tried to call, but no one answered. So on a workday when I was down with the boat, I hooked up and drove down so they could look it over and give me an estimate. When I got there, they were Out to Lunch...so I waited over an hour and they showed up. Estimate was way too high. Even though they showed me their quality products, still too high. So, my impression was not good with this type of experience...no phone answer, out to lunch (My luck I guess), and then higher than normal estimate.
So, that is when I called A&J and after I did get in contact with them, I was impressed in what they explained to me with the options. They set me up to drop the boat off on a Sunday under their covered area. The end of the week, it was done and I drove down to pick it up on that following Friday. They did some custom design where I thought I could get some improvement, upgrated to Strataglass and all I can say is the job is excellent and a great price! I was very happy.

It is very unfortunate that we have to sometimes go through so much crap to get something done, but just seems that this is the way it is and not always a reflection of their ability to produce quality product. I don't have an answer to why lots of businesses are like this. It is so frustrating.......

mrphyjammusashi

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
A&J Canvas is located outside of Washington, N.C. in Vanceboro --- They are family owned and operated. If "You" have a problem with a piece of their work, I would contact THEM before you post negative reviews of the work. It just could be a defective part they received. I'm sure they don't make their own zippers. Give a man a chance to make good before you do him harm on the internet. BTW -- They do ALL take lunch at the same time and don't work weekends unless necessary ---- I have no vested interest in this business.
We live in Onslow County just outside of Swansboro, NC and I've only heard good things about A&J Canvas, who are reputed to do exceptional work at fair prices.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
We live in Onslow County just outside of Swansboro, NC and I've only heard good things about A&J Canvas, who are reputed to do exceptional work at fair prices.
So this always intrigues me. Murphy, you just joined and replied to a thread that is 8 years old. How did you come to find that thread for your first post? Just curious! :)