Anyone have pics of Roll control dive tank rack on Marlin

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The roll control system is looking like my best option for mounting my dive tanks. Anyone have a picture of it installed with and without tanks? I assume you just take off the bolster, mount the track, put bolster back on then just snap in the actual tank holder. I'm hoping to mount 6 tanks on each side.
Thanks
Nick

alfa1023

Reaction score
Re: Anyone have pics of Roll control dive tank rack on Marli

Nick,

I have (had) the roll control setup on both my 330 Express as well as previously on my 272 Sailfish. On the Sailfish, there was room under the coaming pads to mount the rails directly to the fiberglass beneath them without having to remove/replace the pads. I used some spacers I found at Home Depot to have the racks spaced out enough so that with the tank holders in, the scuba tanks would stay "snapped" in them.

On my 330 Express, the pads cover all of the fiberglass, so I took the pads off and fabricated aluminum brackets to hold the roll control rail just below the pads. I mounted the fabricated aluminum extensions to the fiberglass and also to the roll control rail using countersunk SS screws. With everything screwed together, I then put the coaming pads back on. Nice clean setup with no hardware showing and strong. I carry 5 tanks on each side (we are diving the bigger diameter steel 117 and 130 cu ft tanks).

No pictures handy. If I get down to the boat in the next couple of days, I will take some pics and post them.

Jim

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Thanks for the reply. I will probably have to fabricate something as well after looking at the rail. Any pictures you have would be greatly appreciated. I know uploading is a pita so if you prefer you can email me them at nikm820@aol.com. After I set mine up I will just start a thread in the modifications section detailing the set up (as long as it looks good) :mrgreen:.
We dive the 120s, did you get the adjustable bracket, or the more open bracket with a strap?
Nick

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Also, did you mount two of the 48 inch bars down each side, or just one?

alfa1023

Reaction score

Nick,

I will try and get over to the boat one day this week and take pics. I just used some aluminum flat stock from Home Depot to make my "drop brackets". The brackets are hidden behind the rail/pads so getting them pretty wasn't as important as making them strong.

I use the adjustable tank holders. There are times when we use aluminum 80's so I have to make the bracket smaller to hold these tanks. I have my rails set up so that I can unscrew the plastic end piece and then slide the tank holders in/out of the rail in order to adjust them.

If you haven't bought the rails/tank holders, be sure to do some serious internet surfing. I have found deals on the rails and tank holders (often times buying just loose pieces) over the years on Craigslist, Ebay and even the occasion dive shop having a big sale.

Jim

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Yea I just ordered a set from divers supply.com. They had the best prices by far on the components. I don't know if its a new thing for them or what but a lot of things I have ordered recently, they have been the best price. I just ordered 2 tracks and 5 sets of the holders.
Nick