Anyone in Florida own a GW209 want to give me a quick ride?

row21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted this over at THT and it was recommended that I post here as well. Thanks in advance.

Ok, this is a real longshot, but THT has been really helpful to me so far in my search, so here goes nothing.

I'm looking at buying a used 20-21' CC and I've narrowed my search down to a couple of different models, one of which is the Grady 209 fisherman (used to be called the escape in earlier model years). I really like the layout and hull design, but the problem is that I've never ridden on a Grady 209, and I'm really trying to get a sense of the ride. I've tried asking around, but it seems like some people say it's wet and rough, some people say it's soft and dry, and some people say something in between. I think the only way that you can get a real idea of the ride of a boat is by doing it yourself.

The problem is that there aren't any listed for sale near me, so I'd have to travel for a potential purchase. I'm totally fine with traveling, making a purchase, and shipping the vessel home, but I don't want to spend money to travel and look at one and then realize that I don't like the ride and I wasted a trip. Also, most sellers are reticent about doing sea trials until an offer has been made. That's understandable, and fine when the buyer has ridden on the boat before, but it puts me in somewhat of a bind.

So here I am: I'm going down to Florida on vacation this coming week, and I'm wondering if there's anyone on here who owns a Grady 209 (the few that I'm looking at are 2006-2007 model years) who would be willing to take me out for a ride. I'm talking literally 20-30 minutes just so I can get an idea of the ride quality. I'm not looking to take up your whole day. I'll compensate you for gas/time/inconvenience, I'll buy your beers for the night, whatever you need. I realize this is probably a highly unusual request, I'm a stranger, etc. So no surprise at all if it doesn't pan out. Just thought I'd ask.

I will be in the Tampa area on Monday and Tuesday (3/14-3/15), and then I will be in Miami from Wednesday-Saturday (3/16-3/19). My schedule is literally wide open and I will have a car so I am willing to drive reasonable distances. PM me or reply to the thread if you think you can help me out. You'd be helping out a newbie trying to decide on his first boat!

(Sorry for the novel).

cedarholm

Reaction score
Re: Anyone in Florida own a GW209 want to give me a quick ri

There's a Grady White dealer on Long Boat Key. I believe they do rentals.

I've got a 1993, solid stable ride. I don't get wet. Good luck.

Cannon's Marina 941 383-1311

fishermanaddict

Reaction score
Re: Anyone in Florida own a GW209 want to give me a quick ri

I had a1999 Escape I been 40 miles out of Southern California. I really like the soft ride and how the boat handle. The boat had trim tab and help alot.