Anyone install an Intermittent Windshield Wiper switch?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well, I was very proud that I had finally won a bid on Ebay a while back in the summer and got a universal wiper delay switch system.
Now that boat is home for the season, tried to connect it up.
The manual has approx. 20 different ways to wire this thing up, but in the end, it should be very simple. However, I think I might have a bad unit.

I was able to get it wired up, was doing all this at the motor since it is easy to test for the right wiring and got it to do the intermittent delay, but when turning the switch off, it should bypass and run as if it was not connected for normal wiper control. I could not figure out how to make it work normally with no delay, no matter the combinations I tried.

To simplify, these are the wires from my motor:
Park Wire: Always Hot, Solid Orange
Low Speed Wire: Only hot when switch is on. Orange with blue tracer.
High Speed Wire: Not used. Red with white tracer.
Ground
The universal has these wires:
Blue: Park Wire interrupt, to wiper motor side
Yellow: Park Wire interrupt, to hot side.
White: To Switch Power
Orange: Run to Radio control (Do not connect to wiper series wiring)
Green: Ground

So, I simply unplugged the Park wire and connected one side with Blue and other with Yellow.
Connected Orange to accessory power.
Connected White to low speed motor side to simulate switch on.
Green to Ground.
It works intermittently, but when turning off switch on delay unit, it keeps running on delay.

So, guess I need to start over now. I could use it this way, but think in a heavy storm, I would not want the 2second delay. Would want continuous to work.

I have tried all kinds of lookups/searches for the switch you mentioned you found, but none of the links or part numbers work. Not even if I search for a intermittent switch, do I find anything under $90, so not sure that is same as what you had found.

If anyone else has come up with something, let me know if you can help! I would love to get this working over the winter season so I can save my fingers and knuckles next year! :mrgreen:

GulfSea

Reaction score
I'd love to have one set up too! Just curious, in the brief search I just did it looked like all of them have a washer motor circuit. Does yours have one? I would think that one would terminate. What's the part number of the one you have?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What I have is likely from the 1980's when they last made them. It was a universal wiper delay model.
Somewhere, someone got me started on this idea and had posted some wiring schematics to try. Was hoping to find out if they figured out the right combination even though I think I had it right per the manual, but that does not always work out as each setup could be different. Being that this was made for automotive, it might work for a car, but like I mentioned, I had it working, but just could not get the bypass to work so that it would bypass the delay.

Others here had posted their solution, but I have never been able to find that type of switch. I have found one made by Imtra that is approx. $90. It has a round knob, but does not say how it works. So not sure it is the solution.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update, just received the new wiper delay and it is easy to connect and works like a charm! Very happy now.
Price is right and if you ever wanted one, now is the time to go for it as this one is easy to hookup and works very well.

Basically, wires up like this:
Red - Goes to hot with fuse.
Black - Ground
Yellow - Interrupt switch wire to motor and connect to switch side.
Brown - Interupt switch wire to motor and connect to motor side.
All other wires not used.

Now, turn on the delay unit and it instantly starts up and begins delay. Delay has a wide range of seconds. At this point, switch at helm is off.
Turn off unit and turn on helm switch to control normal operation.

I ran to the second wiper motor and it also has the delay same as the first motor, so unit is controlling both motors.

I just did a quick wiring at the motors to test how to make it work. Now will run the wires and splice into just behind the switch. Will mount the unit in the helm radio box. :mrgreen:

dstarok

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
does the switch have an amp rating?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Amp rating is a very good question. Was discussing this with some of my local scientists today on wiring, etc. and we discussed the amp rating. I checked the paperwork and there is no rating unfortunately.
So, I am going to play it safe and ordered a second switch to run one for each motor so I don't overload and burn it out.

I could have just connected to the starboard motor, but want both to have the capability. After thinking more on it, dual controls are actually good to have since the spray is different on each side, so the duration setting would be ideally different.

Last time I was out, the seas and spray were on the starboard side and the port side hardly got wet most of the time.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update for everyone following this install/upgrade.

I ended up purchasing 2 of these wiper delay units. Control each wiper motor independently. This is the right way to handle it. They work great! I have control of the wipers as normal with the existing helm switch, then can use the delay's as needed. In the end, was able to wire these up in just a few minutes. Easy. Bottom right corner, I just installed on Heavy Duty Industrial Velcro in the helm electronics box shown in bottom right corner.

Attachments

• Wiper Delays.jpg
    Wiper Delays.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 571

fishbust

Reaction score
Well done. :goodjob

Went to jc whitney site, seems those boxes are no longer available.

martinclukey

Reaction score
Yea i install these an Intermittent Windshield Wiper switch. And i really told you when you can purchases this i sure , you will very happy with it. because its so awesome for me and i think everyone also. thanks.