Anyone know what this thing is called?

freddy063

Reaction score
well do you like and want to keep your boat? GW users plastic through hulls above the water line, most better boat makers use ss or bronze. It's not a big deal if you don't keep your boat in the water all the time. find a place to get SS thru hulls and spend a weekend changing them out. you should have 2 clamps on all hoses and seal with a good caulk.some of them might be hard to get to but find a skinny kid to climb in there and tell him what to do, just kidding don't send a kid in there GW sometimes have fiberglass killer just laying around that draw blood , they are them unlayed fiberglass pieces, be aware.

seasick

Reaction score
oceanpearl said:
I just noticed this on my boat i have 3 of them but 1 is missing. I was wondering what it was called, is it something i should be worried about, and where could i probably find one. I am in NC.

Thanks in advanced.

http://postimage.org/image/e99wygczp
http://postimage.org/image/y7ps0txol

The outside of the fitting probably sheared off or broke off. Since it is at the water line, there is a risk of water entering the bilge or water that should be draining out, entering the bilge instead. On the 208 there are several of these fittings, two for the live-well (drain and overflow), and two for deck drains that are located in front of the helm seats. The bilge drain is higher up on the starboard side. There is also a drain for the starboard locker.
The bottom line is that you should replace the fitting. Some of these are a bear to get to:)

JeffN

Reaction score
Yeah you night want to move that to up near the top of your winter "to do" list. I had one factory fitting that was similar to the one in the first picture, when I replaced it I found it was cracked half way around. I used bronze on that one as it was it was half in the water all the time.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Simple replacement. Take the old one out and measure the diameter. As another poster said, replace with either bronze or stainless and don't forget to double clamp whatever hose connects on the inside - Even if there is only one clamp on it now. Use 5200 to seal it in and you'll never need to worry about it again.

Fishtales

Reaction score
A good winter project - replace them all. Those plastic ones are accidents waiting to happen on older boats.
Many folkd have done them here. You can use stainless above the water line, if at or below, best to use chrome over bronze.

good luck.

oceanpearl

Reaction score
well i am glad i noticed this now and not later. Thanks for all the advise when the store opens up tomorrow ill be getting some new stainless steel ones.

Cheers

dduflo

Reaction score
Be sure to use high grade marine stainless steel clamps. Check them with a magnet just to be sure someone doesn't sell you a cheaper replacement.