Anyone live in the Baltimore area? Looking at/would love opinions on possibly buying a GW 228 Seafarer.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Congrats! I'm glad it seems to be working out. And props to ItalianAngler for taking the time to help.

Am curious though, is the vinyl stiff or were my eyes deceiving me?

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I hope all goes well with the sea trial. If they are a reputable GW dealer it should he fine . I noticed they just sold a 08 model 228 with a new 300 hp .
Thanks! That boat was actually still on the lot but yes, it does have a “pending offer” flag on it per their website. I spoke with Ron in sales over a week ago when I first saw the listing on BT for the boat I’m looking at and he said they literally just put that brand new 300 on the 2008 and I believe a day or two later it had a pending offer on it. I figured the one I’m looking at would’ve sold in a similar time frame given the price and condition it’s in but I think a big part of it might’ve been the ads on BT and other sites as they have their first profile pictures for the ad as one of their other boats - a 2010 GW Tournament 205. Ron said they only had a few callers on it and I think I’m the only one to come out and look at it in person. Definitely excited and hoping all goes well tomorrow.

Reactions: PointedRose

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congrats! I'm glad it seems to be working out. And props to ItalianAngler for taking the time to help.

Am curious though, is the vinyl stiff or were my eyes deceiving me?
If you’re referring to the boat I’m looking at… I honestly didn’t think the boat came with vinyl or canvas curtains but it does. They’re just not shown in any of the pictures but are inside of the cabin. If you’re referring to the 2008 then I’m not sure to be honest as I didn’t look it over too much. The ones for the boat I’m looking at appear to be in good shape, but in all honesty, I didn’t hardly ever use them on my previous boat… except one time in March when it was still snowing outside and a buddy and I entered a fishing derby that weekend. It was a wee bit chilly that day haha

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yes the boat you are looking at, I was referring to the bolster and cushion vinyl.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes the boat you are looking at, I was referring to the bolster and cushion vinyl.
I’ll take a better look tomorrow for the sea trial run. It looked pretty nice to me and I could be wrong, but the rear seat backs and bottom cushions looked almost new.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Make sure the rear jumpseat backs are attached well, don't want to loose one before you purchase it. They will blow out. If all goes well and this is a done deal, remove all cushions and place in cabin before it travels across the country.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
OK Mustang65fbk,,,,,, what's the scoop???? Do you own the boat?????
Yes sir, I do. I took her out for a sea trial run just before 9 this morning and was out on the boat for almost 2 hours. Boat ran great, sounded great, idled and trolled her for about 10-15 minutes each and didn’t have any alarms. Took her up to cruising speed as well as WOT for a minute or two and didn’t have any issues whatsoever. Agreed on a price with Tri State and sealed the deal. Now just need to figure out how to get her back to the Seattle area since I flew out here. Most shipping companies are $4-5k and 2-3 weeks out. Not sure if I want to wait that long or just do it myself. Sorry for the delay, this 3 hour time difference has thrown off my sleeping since I got here and I’m still not used to it. Also got a migraine after the sea trial run, so I went and got some breakfast, took some ibuprofen and took a nap. Feeling a lot better now after some food and lots of water. Still feel like I’m in a bit of a daze though since landing on Sunday haha. Will try to post a couple of pictures/videos, depending on size. Thanks again everyone for the help, especially IA, and will try and keep everyone up to date with the rest of the journey home. Something else that was interesting is that Tri State sold the last 228 Seafarer to a local guy that had the boat in for a 20 hour maintenance on the motor. Took a picture of it since the discussion had been brought up here multiple times before. Pretty funny the name of the boat….

EDEBE6EA-2474-4D90-BB31-83BC242A5502.jpeg9B7BA787-AACE-424C-8C85-45B059A969FD.jpeg2212AE9A-3900-4800-809D-2E7F8A1A5931.jpegBFF4E2D5-FF4E-4ABD-88EF-F0C958CC25F1.jpeg

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Congratulations, you officially joined the GW club.
All you have to do is get her home and chase some salmon. I would think it will be at least a 3 day trip?

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Congratulations, you officially joined the GW club.
All you have to do is get her home and chase some salmon. I would think it will be at least a 3 day trip?
Thanks! Ironically enough, I bought my previous boat over 4 years ago about 60 or so miles from where I bought this one. For that boat, I drove out from Seattle, bought it and then trailered it back home. It was about 3.5 days each way, although I did get a late start the first day when I left. And that was also driving balls to the wall the whole time. There were two days were I drove 1100-1200 miles a piece and it was pretty miserable. With this one, if I do trailer it back home, I’ll take my time and take it nice and easy.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Awesome news Mustang!!!

Update us when you can and as wrxhoon said, welcome to the club!

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
From my own personal experience Tri State marine was a pleasure to deal with. I found them to be very honest and did business the old fashion way, no pressure, no BS.
They do a pretty thorough inspection on all boats prior to sale as they stated. After purchase we had our local Yamaha guy go through our engines and everything checked out as stated ... Exhaust, water pumps injectors etc etc. I would highly recommend these folks. Robert Warren was our salesman and any questions regarding the maintenance we directed to Harvey Gates the service manager. Great experience for us !!

Good luck with your purchase !