Anyone mount a big amplifier in a Grady?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've got my small digital 4 channel in my electronics box currently. About the size of a single DIN car stereo and mounted to the top of the box that houses it. But the amp I want to get is 20" long! So long and skinny. Anyone have pics of where they mounted a big(ish) amp or amps on their Grady Walkaround?

Maybe I could screw it to the hardtop but not sure if I want to through bolt 4 more holes in it. Wonder if it can take a wood screw? My hardtop is foam filled I know. Just thinking out loud here.

Skar Audio Amp

Last edited:

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I've got my small digital 4 channel in my electronics box currently. About the size of a single DIN car stereo and mounted to the top of the box that houses it. But the amp I want to get is 20" long! So long and skinny. Anyone have pics of where they mounted a big(ish) amp or amps on their Grady Walkaround?

Maybe I could screw it to the hardtop but not sure if I want to through bolt 4 more holes in it. Wonder if it can take a wood screw? My hardtop is foam filled I know. Just thinking out loud here.

Skar Audio Amp
That's a good amp for the price! Has some advantages over the Class D more expensive JL. I had a JBL and I'm currently installing a Infinity. I have it installed in the cabin under the fuse panel. I should be finishing it up this week and I'll try to take a pic. I also have Fusion black box mounted next to it.

My amp is about 14x8 and yours is longer but skinnier. I would think you could mount in the same area. I have to mount mine on 2 pieces of HDPE to give the amp clearance over some hardware. The bolts from the footrest are in the way on my new amp. The JBL fit perfect.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my 268 Islander I pulled the refrigerator and mounted it on a board (removable). I installed a 8" JL Audio sub on the port side of the steps into the cabin.

If you are going with Fusion radio considering the Apollo series of radios and amps. They also ship with a great bracket for mounting the amp (removable). All Fusion Apollo adjustments can be done via an App.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I put a new Fusion 6 channel amp behind fridge in my 330 Express. Works great!

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Sounds good, yes would like to see a pic. Got any other 4 channel amp recommendations that are a good value? I hear A/B amps are more "clear" but use more power than a digital. I like the digital for that reason but would like better sound. I hear the SKAR audio can drain batts pretty quick.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I had a Polk audio amp on my Mako and it sounded amazing. I believe it was a PA660. It was on a 17' boat so it was in a moist environment. I ended up getting about 5 years out of it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Did a 2 channel Fusion after a Fusion head and remote replacement. The Fusion head powers the cabin and helm areas with no issue. The new amp powers the cockpit speakers. Works very well. The Fusion head has controls for 3 zones, so you can set the level for each area independently. Installed behind the port access panel in the mid berth area. Still have a channel for subwoofer if I want. Can't say enough good things about the Fusion equipment.

trilogy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mounted my 2 amps behind the bulkead on the helm side. See below:

08323767-CA7D-49CC-A2DF-9F090DF503AC.jpeg

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I installed a Diamond Audio Micro 5 channel amp (1100 watts) sound great and not big. I mounted it behind the TV, wanted it to get air, because they do get hot.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Installed my amp on the wall in the berth under the helm and to the left. Was easy to run the wires through the side panel directly up to the helm area. I have my house batteries also installed just behind the aft panel in this berth area so short wire run to the batteries.

Reactions: Angler Management

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hi all - I’ve been following this thread as I’m thinking of adding a new setup in my 330 Express. Here is what we’re thinking:

- 2 pairs Fusion 7.7 inch speakers - one for the helm and another the cockpit speakers
- Fusion 12 inch subwoofer in water heater access plate cover
- The cockpit and helm speakers would be powered by a Fusion 1400W 4-channel amplifier
- The sub would be powered by a Fusion 2250W mono amp
- The cabin speakers will remain the same as they are now which are Kenwoods
- These will be fed by a Fusion head unit with four zones

I have the standard bank of four deep cycle marine grade batteries and a working genset - we have the generator but we dont love to run it consistently. We also do not plan to crank the stereo, just want some better sound than the standard speakers we have.

My question to all you experts: How much or should we be worried about power draw with this new setup and running our batteries down if we at anchor or fishing for a day listening to music (without the generator running)?

I know a lot depends on what else is running which is typically minimal. Typically it is only the fridge turned down as low as possible and water/head to use the bathroom. We will use the twin Garmin MFDs if fishing. Just curious how much more you all think we need to worry about draining our batteries with our potentially new setup.

Thanks!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
First of all if you are going with Fusion radio consider using the Apollo radio and amps.

On the power draw check how your batteries are charged from the motors. The engine alternators can charge your battery even at trolling speeds. There is a charging shunt that isn’t always installed that can be used. On my twins one charges the house battery and the other charges my 4th battery (windlass, pumps, bow thruster). Should help without the need for the generator.

Remember a 1200 watt amp may draw 100 amps instantaneously but not continuously.

v8boatbuilder

Reaction score
Here's my setup in my Adventure 208:
- Fusion RA670 Head Unit
- Wet Sounds Sinister SYN6 Amp (hidden, mounted under the stbd cabin seat)
- Wet Sounds soundbar ontop of cabin, under windeild
- Wet Sounds Revo 10 subwoofer on port side
- Fusion Signature 6" Coaxials under fwd gunnwales in custom starboard boxes
- Fusion box speakers under aft gunwales.

I'll post some pics soon. Neither the amp nor the sub take up any space that wasn't unused.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's my setup in my Adventure 208:
- Fusion RA670 Head Unit
- Wet Sounds Sinister SYN6 Amp (hidden, mounted under the stbd cabin seat)
- Wet Sounds soundbar ontop of cabin, under windeild
- Wet Sounds Revo 10 subwoofer on port side
- Fusion Signature 6" Coaxials under fwd gunnwales in custom starboard boxes
- Fusion box speakers under aft gunwales.

I'll post some pics soon. Neither the amp nor the sub take up any space that wasn't unused.
Sounds like an awesome system please do post photos!