Anyone relocate washdown pump?????

SieraSky

Reaction score
I gutted out the entire dash and bulkhead to redo the wiring harness, the 2"chase conduit besides carrying the wiring harness also has the TWO 1"washdown lines. The chase is crowded to say the least. I'd like to relocate the washdown pump from the cabin to the stern, I have a 228g so I have some room. If I keep the pump at water level or slightly below the pump should work and not get airbound. I can't imagine snaking #6 cables and a new harness in the chase with the hoses also. Any feed back from the forum is appreciated. Thanks Tony

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The washdown pump on my 228G is mounted to the transom underneath the port seat. I had to replace it last year, and it was pretty easy to access there.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Grouper Duper said:
The washdown pump on my 228G is mounted to the transom underneath the port seat. I had to replace it last year, and it was pretty easy to access there.

Mine is mounted to the transom also. I'll try and get some pics next time I'm on the boat.

richie rich

Reaction score
Strikezone, that would be great...currently have the pump downstairs..actually under the stairs, and 3 hoses running from the seacock, through the bulkhead to the pump, back to a Y valve and then back to the baitwell midship...what a PITA draining that each fall.
Sierra..didn't mean to steal your post, but its a good one.

SieraSky

Reaction score
Washdown pump

No problem Richie, the more guys that chime in the better, I can't see why the pump was in that location to begin with, on a 228g there is plenty of room. Removing the two hard rubber lines is going to be a blast but I'll manage . I really opened up a can of worms on this project, the starboard bulkhead is rotten to the core, the dash wiring is Junk, all the gauges are going to be replaced with up to date ones, and the switch panel I'm redoing myself with rockers and new fuse panels. No need to take pics now everybody has seen Before pics and the nightmare stuff. The only saving grace was the fuel tanks were in execellent shape , only spot corrosion were they sat on the rubber strips, nothing major. Thanks Tony

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Here are photos of my washdown pump. The hose on the left side of the pump is coming from the raw water pickup and the hose on the right side of the pump goes to the fitting where your coiled hose is connected. Hope this helps.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

richie rich

Reaction score
Strikezone, that's perfect....that's just what I wanted to see...my current installation has the pump sitting horizontally, but I have heard that mounting it vertically is actually better to keep the motor dry over time. And when you put it away for winter the impeller cavity is fully drained....this confirms that it can be done and works and its above the waterline.

Thank very much!

JiminGA

Reaction score
Strikezone, Just curious - where are your batteries? A raw-water washdown in the ONLY option I don't have and I'm pretty sure my battery setup under the post-side aft seat would be a problem trying to hang a pump there...

It's something I've been wanting to do as a DIY project

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
JiminGA said:
Strikezone, Just curious - where are your batteries? A raw-water washdown in the ONLY option I don't have and I'm pretty sure my battery setup under the post-side aft seat would be a problem trying to hang a pump there...

It's something I've been wanting to do as a DIY project

The port side battery is to the left of the oil tank. You can just see the edge of the battery in the photo. The starboard battery is located almost directly under the seat access.

G8RDave

Reaction score
My washdown pump is set up just like Strikezone's (just replaced it last weekend). My batteries are also in that same area but more towards the centerline of the boat My fuel water separator and fuel bulb are on the starboard side. Jim, unless you've got a bunch of other stuff under the port seat, there should be plenty of room. I replaced my original batteries with 2 size 31's. They barely fit.

Gradywashdown004.jpg

PA228G

Reaction score
I also mounted my replacement pump "vertically". Also added a strainer in-line and mounted it to the fwd panel between the live well and stbd seat - easy to do only if you have to pull the live well to replace the Y-valve ...

jtsailjt

Reaction score
I noticed that the pump in the picture is mounted correctly, with the pump/wet part below the supposedly sealed motor rather than above it. I mention this because I once bought a boat with the washdown mounted the other way around so any slight leak in the hoses or even condensation was dripping onto the electrical connections and motor, rather than being below them. It only worked intermittently when I bought the boat and it didn't take long before I had to replace the whole thing due to rust, mounted it with the electrical connections up and had no problem for the next 11 years until I sold the boat. Whoever mounted that pump did a nice clean looking job and it's out of the way but easily accessed, just might have to add one there on my boat. :)