Anyone seen a Roof Rack for storage on a Grady?

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to build or buy some rails to add to the top of my Grady White Seafarer hardtop. Mainly to store crab pots, dinghy etc. I don't need the sunshade and probably can't afford this setup at https://www.sureshade.com/shade-system-doubles-as-paddleboard/.

Anyone build one. I've seen some 36" stainless handles for sale but they are so low I don't know if it will work with the newer curved grady roof.

photo+2.JPG

17-hard-top-carmanah-boat-silver-streak-8.jpg

menelaus22

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 209
I’m curious about this too. I wonder how long a Yakima rail system would last in the salt :/

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
This is a picture of my boat from about 6 years ago - it's the best I have. But that's a top by Atlantic Towers - it has a long "handrail" (2" tubing) along both the starboard and port edges. I would imagine that you might be able to buy them from Atlantic - or have a local metal shop make them. That would get you the "base" and then you mount the crossrails or a baske to it with a clamp system so it's easy on/easy off.

This is sort of redneck, and just off the top of my head... but you could use some pieces of dense foam or cheap fenders that you set on top of the hardtop. Use slightly thicker ones towards the outboard sides of the hardtop. Then use some ratchet straps to secure your basket to the top. Heck, you could probably use a couple of those cheap Type II vests - and if the basket is sturdy enough, you would only need the vests/foam at the outboard sides - you wouldn't need anything in the middle. A plastic pallet might make a good basket - no sides to it, but you wouldn't really need sides if you secure the traps well enough with straps. Or get a second crate and cut out most of the middle and then bolt this piece to the full pallet - now you have a basket.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ya custom maybe the way to go. Wonder what it would cost. Or maybe I’ll just get 4 - 24” rails and call it good. Amazon has a set from $66

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm thinking that could be done quite easily at a local pipe shop. Some things to consider:
- Likely custom for each boat or with minor mods. Seems like everyone has things mounted on the top of the hardtop in different locations.
- Use a solid mount structure on the top, backing plates on the bottom and tube spacers in the drilled hole cavities to ensure no hardtop collapse.
- SS marine proven hardware with tie downs everywhere so you can use bungy cords or paracord to tie things down.
- Investigate auto fabric roof top carriers. It would be great if you could put one of the water tight ones on if you wanted to with little installation.

Sailfish

Reaction score
What about using stainless railing components.

Something like this