Anyone set up a 228 for salmon fishing?

daveuch

Reaction score
Just got a 96 228g for salmon and sea bass fishing in monterey ca. Thought it was a good deal at 18,500 but turns out the motor needs new heads to the tune of 10k I hope to have a long lasting seaworthy boat for awhile. Now for the fun part setting it up for Salmon fishing sometimes to 300ft. Looking for any advise. (Not on buying boats ha ha)

mkslug

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
For salmon you will want some downriggers if you don't already have some. Electrics make it easier, especially when trolling 200+ ft deep sometimes at Soquel Hole, but cost more. We have two Scotty downriggers on our 228 and stack the lines 20 to 30 ft (closer and we seem to get tangles) apart on one if there are more than two of us fishing. We mounted ours just ahead of the rear gunwale rod holders and haven't had an issue yet with putting the line into the prop, just don't turn too sharp. I have also seen them mounted at each corner of the aft/transom on a 228, and the owner swore by that position, but it seemed like it would be harder to reach down for the balls, clipping, etc. since there are seats/batteries/pump access etc. in the way there.

White Seabass fishing is much simpler and most just drift flylined dead squid, or use a light sinker.

Here is a good tutorial on salmon trolling on our local fishing club's page:
http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/Tro ... ownriggers

Sorry if this is elementary and you already know all this stuff.

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
I have a 226 and have been fishing Monterey Bay since 1976, Go with electrics. Scotty's are best. Get the ones with the sixty inch booms. I have 450ft of 200lb Spectra with the red Scotty stops that are made for the Spectra. If the Salmon are in the mud 15lb ball will get you down. Be sure to attach a Scotty bungie between the weight and the Spectra. Do not make fast stops on the way down or you can break the spectra as there is no streach. Just a nice slow stop. Also attach a piece of tuna cord to each end of the bungie as it was designed for ten pounds or less. I never had a problem but plan to use a piece of tuna cord that equals or exceed the stretch of the bungie. I will do it today. We fish weekdays for the most part, but fish the Grady White Tournment the Saturday before Fathers Day. Stop by Central Valley Marine for information on the Tournment. If you don't already belong to any fishing clubs join Coastside Fisshing Club and West Coast Highliners. Good information from both. My boat is Sidewinder. Give us a call when you are out there.

Reactions: Heyspike

daveuch

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advise and links. My wife and I are complete beginners at fishing the Pacific. We do fish for Largemouth and Stripers in The Delta.
I ended up with gimble mounts and ran the downriggers in the second rod holders closest the wheel.
We fished for the first time on Sun out of Breakwater Cove. Had 3 on and only landed one 30" Salmon. Next time we will bring a Big net. We were quite pleased considering we left the dock at 10AM and returned by 4". The swells were getting bigger and we had our 1.
Sidewinder I will give a call next time out. No name on our boat yet. You could call dave but I don't know what you might get and cf numbers I won't remember.

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
Dave I don't like gimble mounts for downriggers. I mounted the Scotty base to the top of the rail and have a stainless steel plate under the rail for backing. For Monterey Bay it's best to get out before 7AM as the wind usually comes up around noon. Do you go out of Santa Cruz?

daveuch

Reaction score
Ron I launch from monterey and have been out twice from 10-4 and it was rough. We did catch fish then went in. The swells were curling from the wind.
I bought the gimble mounts so I can decide where to mount them. So far it seams just behind the forward rod holder. I may end up with two more on the aft corners. I like the backing plate idea.

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
Dave, I had the bolt in the rodholder break when I used my meat ron setup and had two big Salmon hit at the same time. I had the rod in an outrodder and outrodder slammed back breaking the bolt in the rod holder. Still use it but leave the drag loose.Been out of Moss once but like Santa Cruz better.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well I may know the answer but wondering if Grady pole holders can handle Scotty electric downriggers with 15 lb balls on gimble mounts?

I’m familiar with my scottys but always had the swivel screwed into the gunnel on other boats, never had a Grady.

I’ve only fished the gimbles once. Very convenient but not sure if the gelcoat will crack.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Here's where I ended up installing mine. Happy with the placement on my 228, and had to excavate a bit of foam under the gunwale for the install.

20200229_134330.jpg20200229_140659.jpg

Reactions: Lite Tackle

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well I may know the answer but wondering if Grady pole holders can handle Scotty electric downriggers with 15 lb balls on gimble mounts?

The answer is no. I'll sell you one if you don't believe me. :)

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream

The answer is no. I'll sell you one if you don't believe me. :)

Sorry to threadjack. I bought 2 manual Cannon Uni-troll 10 downriggers with 12 pound balls. I also bought the gimbal mounts. I am intending to use them to troll bunker spoons (got bungies), unweighted shad imitators, tube and worm setups and umbrella rigs for stripers because I hate wireline and Mojo setups are more like winching than fishing. are you guys saying these will break my rod holders? Was hoping not to have to drill in mounting plates.

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
12 to 15lb downrigger weights are typical for the ocean. Lake guys use 6 to 10 traditionally. I’ve seen torn up rod holders or more accurate, torn up gunnels on ocean boats that ran gimbal mounting. May be ok for the lighter weights. They do have rod holder backing plates that could provide the strength to support the DR.
0B301CF7-F38D-4CAD-ACC6-39EFF856316F.jpeg

Reactions: PonquoguePlayer

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If I ever start running downriggers, they will be plate mounted like Lee's are. Not taking a chance on damaging the rod holder with a gimbal mount.

My old Seaswirl, I had plates mounted, never an issue or concern.

image1.JPG

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m set up for salmon.
288EC36D-187F-4A6B-8A62-D7D2C7F152CF.jpeg
495DFDC3-25EE-42D5-9A3B-518CFC69C343.jpeg
well.... almost. A little kicker service, or maybe waiting for the new one to arrive.
5B3C8359-6567-4668-9D26-93678D9ADB27.jpeg
B38A0AFD-3523-4E03-B251-CA4130FBCC8F.jpeg

Attachments

• 70333E58-2669-483D-BF33-0B2AB06F6CE9.jpeg
    70333E58-2669-483D-BF33-0B2AB06F6CE9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: ScottyCee
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
12 to 15lb downrigger weights are typical for the ocean. Lake guys use 6 to 10 traditionally. I’ve seen torn up rod holders or more accurate, torn up gunnels on ocean boats that ran gimbal mounting. May be ok for the lighter weights. They do have rod holder backing plates that could provide the strength to support the DR.
View attachment 12998
hey Lite do you happen to know what size backing plate fits the rod holders on my 2008 232? This looks like a good idea to support my DR without drilling in a new plate. Dont know why this would not be just as sturdy as drilling in the base with a backing plate.

Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I’m not sure. Need to measure the space available underneath the gunnel and then the bolt spacing.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fish 18 and 20 lb. leads on my Scottys often down over 300 ft for Spring (chinook) salmon with braided line. Less blow back and a little less math on actual depth numbers. My backing plates extend well past the the Scotty mounting brackets on each side, never had an issue with the boom fully extended. Will be awhile yet before they open the Chinook fishery.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anyone actually seen cracking in fiberglass around rod holders after using gimbles a few years? I can tell you my boat was fished on the east coast with gimble mounted down rigger and I see no issue. However he had manuals so I assume the weights we're lighter.

The gunwales seem strong. (so far)

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 10.05.39 AM.png

Some day I may bite the bullet. This is the boat that I saw in Port Townsend last summer that put me on a quest for a Grady and made me import one from 2900 miles away. :)

4 Downriggers! Though maybe mounting 1 off the stern is more practical with less hang ups? Lite Tackle, how do you like the stern rigger?
grady 228 downriggers.jpg

Lite Tackle

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Anyone actually seen cracking in fiberglass around rod holders after using gimbles a few years? I can tell you my boat was fished on the east coast with gimble mounted down rigger and I see no issue. However he had manuals so I assume the weights we're lighter.

The gunwales seem strong. (so far)

View attachment 13049

Some day I may bite the bullet. This is the boat that I saw in Port Townsend last summer that put me on a quest for a Grady and made me import one from 2900 miles away. :)

4 Downriggers! Though maybe mounting 1 off the stern is more practical with less hang ups? Lite Tackle, how do you like the stern rigger?
View attachment 13050
I haven’t used it for a downrigger yet, just for a rod holder. It’s not ideal for access but will work. With the 60” booms off the side and the rear one out the back, tangles should not happen.