Anyone tried this? "Engine Flush System w/hose Attachment"

bjflink

Reaction score
GW is currently offering this as a factory installed option on some of their new models....a pre-plumbed flush attachment on the cockpit side of the transom wall. I want to install something similar on my boat, a 2000 306, re-powered with new F250's. Grady wont sell me the parts (liability), and I cant imagine this is a hard feature to install. Has anyone done something similar who can offer some useful tips before I attempt something similar?

Thanks!

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Re: Anyone tried this? "Engine Flush System w/hose Attachmen

Doesn't your engine already have a garden hose attachment on the side of the motor? Is this just to make it easier to reach when the boat is in the water? Take a look at the existing flush port on the engine - I would imagine you can simply reconfigure it and run a hose into the boat, to a new attachment fitting. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to buy just that part - but you could make you own with parts from a plumbing store, too. It might be a bit of a pain to run a new hose inside the existing rigging tube, though. You could simply attach a short section of hose (with shutoff) to the engine, and bring it to a fitting on the transom (or even just bungee it somewhere on the bracket. You could even get fancy and use quick-connects with internal, automatic shutoffs.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

i saw something like this on a larger Scout a number of years ago (boat show). OEM. mostly external on the inside of the eurotrans. hooked up to the fresh water system so you can flush sans hose if need be.

if you rig something, just make sure your cutoff is tight. you don't want the engine cooling water flowing out. good luck, ron

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score

Interesting idea, though, and seems like a step in the right direction. I'd love to have an autoflush features that sends 2 or 3 gallons of water through the flushing port from my fresh water tank with the press of a button.

Anyways, I don't see any reason why you couldn't rig up the equivalent... You'd have to run hoses through your rigging tubes and attach them with a Y-connector insider your transom and ultimately to a female garden hose fitting. And you'd need a cap or valve to seal it off when not in use.

My solution to this was to rig up hoses with quick-connects and a Y-connector so I could pretty quickly set up the hose & flush both motors simultaneously. Works great!

seasick

Reaction score

bjflink said:
GW is currently offering this as a factory installed option on some of their new models....a pre-plumbed flush attachment on the cockpit side of the transom wall. I want to install something similar on my boat, a 2000 306, re-powered with new F250's. Grady wont sell me the parts (liability), and I cant imagine this is a hard feature to install. Has anyone done something similar who can offer some useful tips before I attempt something similar?

Thanks!

On the yami motors, the flush hose doesn't pass water in normal operation. The fitting it connects to is just a dead end. Therefore, connecting that flush hose to a water source is OK but the setup should prevent the flow of water from the motor to the flush source during normal motor operation. ( that's like running after you forget to reattach the flush hose. Water will flow into the motor but pressure will be reduced a bit)
The real challenge is to get enough water volume so that the internals up into the heads get flushed. Even if you had OK pressure and volume, I don't see how 2 or 3 gallons would be enough. There is probably that much water in the motor when operating.
Of course, some flushing is better than none. I am curious how it all turns out, let us know

Reactions: PointedRose

lyncha00

Reaction score
I had this quick connect installed when I repowered this year. Its a little more convenient but I noticed water doesn't come out the telltale hole when I use it, I hope there is enough pressure?

ocdansar

Reaction score
Here’s where I put mine. Work great easy to get to

Attachments

• D53C3BAE-BFBD-4936-9D50-595C5A1EDCA7.jpeg
    D53C3BAE-BFBD-4936-9D50-595C5A1EDCA7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 77DC3A10-263D-41BA-AB6D-D3A09EAC52E1.jpeg
    77DC3A10-263D-41BA-AB6D-D3A09EAC52E1.jpeg
    768.4 KB · Views: 23

Punchline Cap

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
I have the factory installed quick connect on my 2017 Fisherman 236 and I have two main issues with it. First it was installed under the starboard side gunnel. One must get on their hands and knees to make the coupling, which is much more inconvenient than just using the connection on the engine. The second was the butchering of the grommet on the umbilical on the engine. Instead of having a custom made grommet they just hacked out most of the internals of the grommet to accommodate the additional hose that goes through the umbilical. It would constantly come loose. When 3D90808B-6B3F-496E-B7CE-C2047B573025.jpegI replaced it I trimmed the minimum amount of material and reinstalled it with no problems since. If anyone does decide to install this system please do a better job on the grommet than Grady White did.