Anyone using LOCKING fuel caps on GW's???

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Been reading a lot lately about people stealing gas from boats, drilling into auto tanks or cutting fuel lines, etc to get access to the latest liquid gold.

Of course someone could cut your fuel lines at the yamaha and pump on the primer pump all day, but to protect from siphons, has anyone gone to locking fuel caps on their GW's? Between my gas tanks and diesel for the genset, I would hate to think what could happen over a few nights if someone got greedy - more greedy than normal, that is.

Has GW put out any advice to owners? I haven't seen any but that doesn't mean they don't have something out there we all should be aware of.

Thanks

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for@

Brad1

Reaction score
I got mine through the local Boaters World store. They had to order it, but it ships direct to your home. I had mine in about a week after I ordered it.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I ordered mine through Boater's World this morining. Not my favorite store, but the website claimed they were in stock. Total cost $37 delivered to my front door (for two of them).

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased the last one my local West Marine had in stock and they said they have none showing in regional warehouse and are back ordered from MFG. Having $300- $600 worth of gas sitting in your tank is worth the $29 lock.

purple98tj

Reaction score
I put one on the other day. I found it at West Marine. It was the last one on the shelf! I know if there's a will there's a way but at least it will slow them down....

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got mine this morning delivered by Fedex. Roughly 24 hours after ordering them, very impressed with Boater's World (this time).

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
i e mailed grady it seems my boat is so old they dont make them to fit it. they said i would have to replace the whole fill neck. well thats a royal pita. besides with gas the way it is i wont be able to fill it up anyway.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
0541 is the Perko model number for the fuel fill tube that GW uses. The lockable inserts are MFG from Perko also and come in a few sizes that fit different fuel fill tubes Just make sure you purchase the one that fits the Perko 0541 fuel fill.