Anyone With Painted Hull?

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone have a hull that has been painted? I'm considering removing stripes, letters, etc., and painting hull a custom color. I would like to know what type of paint, how does it hold up to normal abuse, how long before needing a repaint, etc..
I'd appreciate any info on this anyone may have. Thanks, Mike.

wrobinson

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My hull is not painted, but there is a 330 in Charleston painted dark blue with a tower. It looks awesome.

richie rich

Reaction score
Mike,

I have used Interlux's Perfection 2 part PU paint for repairs and they've held up for 4 years now. I saw an episode of SSTV where they painted an antire boat with it and the manufacturer said it should last 8-10 years if done right. The pro's use the higher end version called Awgrip that they said lasts 14+ years??? The boat they did looked pretty nice.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm really leaning towards painting it. Boat is 25 years old, and as many of you know, I'm just finishing a complete transom rebuild that will require some type of finish on it.

If I don't paint, then I'll have to do considerable work to restore gelcoat, and it is pretty thin in some areas, with plenty of chips, scrapes, etc..

I'm going to check into that awgrip. If it will last 10+ years, then that sounds good to me.

If anyone else has any info on painting hulls, or know where I can find some pics or info, I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks, Mike.

richie rich

Reaction score
Mike, from what I understand to be the differences between Perfection and Awlgrip is that the Awlgrip has a slightly more durable but similar chemistry, but needs to be sprayed on professionally and you need the right PPE like a full respirator and suit because the solvents are a little nasty.....you won't find it at your local West Marine, but thats why its a professional long lasting finish.
The Perfection is made by their sister company and the paint has similar characteristics, but is designed to be either sprayed on or just rolled on and tipped with a brush for the do it yourselfer. Its self leveling and comes out nice. It's not 15 year paint, but 10 years ain't so bad I guess.

Check Interlux's web site for info.....they are also pretty good at responding to technical questions regarding their product as I've used them for other projects.

georgemjr

Reaction score
What about spraying new gelcoat? I have never done so over an entire boat, but I did after repairing a large section. You would need a very large spray tip and might have to thin it to some degree, but if going through all the prep and spray work, it would seem like the best, most durable finish. It is what any fiberglass repair person coats with afterwards.

georgemjr

Reaction score
In addition, I did respray an old Formula I used to own with awlgrip. It isn't any different than spraying other paints, but you must be careful with the prep of the surface to make sure it is ready for the application. I found that out the hard way. If I remember correctly, there was a special pre-paint chemical that the hull needed to be prepped with to assure adhesion. The result was incredible, but I sold the boat withing 3 years so I can't speak to the durability beyond that. I still think, if I were to go through the trouble again, I would spray gelcoat...

richie rich

Reaction score
If you're going to gel coat over epoxy, you have to make sure you used the right harderner that doesn't give off an amine blush or the gel coat will not stick well. Gel coats are PE based which are poor adhesives. The process can be done, but you need to take certain steps for it to properly work. Most cosmetic repairs at a boat yard are done with PE based resins and fillers, or VE for higher end boats, both of which accept Gelcoat very well. I would speak to a tech person from the epoxy manufacturer and find out thier specific steps in making this work....otherwise, a 2 part paint will do a nice job if you take your time with prep and finish.

richie rich

Reaction score
If you take a look back at Mike's repair...it's a complete transom replacement using new wood and epoxy....he may have replaced some of the stock pieces that have gel coat on them, but its an epoxy makeover for getting the best secondary bond. This makes Gel coating a little more difficult.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I went by my material supplier today to get some ideas on a finishing coat to repaired areas. I was under the impression that epoxy would not adhere well to the gelcoat. They informed me that epoxy will adhere very well to gelcoat, especially to older porous gelcoat, but gelcoat will not adhere well to epoxy.

I also asked about paint finishes. They recommended the "Sterling" two part product as top shelf product with 12+ year endurance, mirror like finish, for exterior hull, but not for cockpit topsides, helm, etc.. Said it is so shiny that it will create glare in these areas. It can be rolled and tipped.

They also recommended "System Three Topcoat" product for use in cockpit area. it is a polyurethane paint. I purchased two small 4oz containers of this, and plan to coat the splash area with it. This way, I'll see how it goes on and looks.

I'm hoping that this "system three" coating will work out well in the splash and raised transom areas, then I can move on and install twin outboards. I really need to get them out of my garage. Between the two motors, and all the related hydraulic steering, harnesses, controls, helm, etc., it is dominating a significant portion of the garage. If I can get them hung and set up, then I can get back to finish coating on remainder of hull at a later time.

I'll get some pics up of finished coating as soon as I get it on. Thanks again for info. Mike

richie rich

Reaction score
Mike, correct, epoxy will stick well to gelcoat but not as good the other wat around, but the pros make it work...its not impossible...just need to know about the amine blush of your material... I gaurantee you the guys at West, Mas and System 3, do gel coat over there product...just gotta know their little secrets.....anyways....the top coat you picked, being 2 part, is a good move...... much much better than single system product paints...should look good.....your right about the shiney-ness at the helm,,,the glare is awful and the new trend is to build with a matt or grey finish in mind...I read that in Pro boat builder months ago and the photos showed a big difference...but either way, the 2 part paint will do a nice job...I think you'll be stoked when you finish........

'84Offshore

Reaction score
Perfection

I used Perfection in the cockpit area of my Offshore..........I am satisfied with the roll and tip method. been on ~ 3 seasons now........so far so good! I also replaced all the teak with Starboard.

P1010020.jpg
[/img]

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Perfection

'84Offshore said:
I used Perfection in the cockpit area of my Offshore..........I am satisfied with the roll and tip method. been on ~ 3 seasons now........so far so good! I also replaced all the teak with Starboard.

P1010020.jpg
[/img]

That looks real good. Any glare issue problems with the Perfection finish? I plan on replacing teak also, but thats another project for another time.

richie rich

Reaction score
Yeah, I think Mike means too shiney.....its a great finish but you can see the reflection of the rod holders in your picture....on a sunny day, the reflection can cause more glare so sun glasses are mandatory.

Mike, I think you can get a flattening agent to reduce the gloss in Perfection. Maybe the same type of additive can be had for the Sterling paint?

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Re: Perfection

'84Offshore said:

P1010020.jpg
[/img]

VeroWing,Hard for me to tell from the pic but did you also paint the floor?