Anyone With Painted Hull?

'84Offshore

Reaction score
yes, I painted the floor also and added some non-skid "stuff".

It's really not that shiny......I don't wear sunglasses.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Its' good to see there are alternatives for finish coating these hulls. I always thought that paints would only last a short time on our boats.

From what I have learned lately, many of these coatings last for over a dozen years and more.

I am going to try one more time to try and match existing gelcoat with epoxy tinted with some white/brown pigment. I have all the material at hand, and I'm really curious as to whether this will work. If not I'll just sand it down some and apply the System Three I have also.

Thanks for all the info from everyone. I've learned quite a bit about fiberglass repairs, finishes, etc., while performing this project. Mike

richie rich

Reaction score
Mike, tinted epoxy may look ok, but you still have to paint over it....the tint does not block UV that will eventually yellow the epoxy and break it down......that is the one drawback of epoxy above the waterline...it must be covered in paint or Gelcoat.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
Mike, tinted epoxy may look ok, but you still have to paint over it....the tint does not block UV that will eventually yellow the epoxy and break it down......that is the one drawback of epoxy above the waterline...it must be covered in paint or Gelcoat.

Aha, thanks Rich. I didn't realize that. Looks like I'll just go ahead with the system 3, after I complete surface prep. Sanded all day today. Well, almost. Guy across the street from me is a retired police officer, and Vietnam vet. He turned 65 today, and came over to check my progress. Next thing I know two more neighbors stopped by, one is another retired police officer/Vietnam vet, and well, the stories started, the beers were flowing, and the sanding abruptly ended.
Oh well, theres always tomorrow. Mike

richie rich

Reaction score
they shoulda had a beer in one hand and 200 grit in the other...you'd be done by now! Nice to have the time off to get things done!!!!!!!

PS...tell the Vets, thanks

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Smoothed it all down today with 400 wet paper, rinsed, and fan dried real good. Applied first coat of System 3 finish over seams and extended transom area. I luckily matched color pretty close, and the results made me very happy.
Weather permitting, I'll smooth down first coat and apply another tomorrow. Shaping up nicely now. Should be hanging those outboards soon. Mike

gradywhitetransomrebuildday18002.jpg

gradywhitetransomrebuildday18004.jpg

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
Mike, I think you should paint the whole boat and show us your skills :)

Thanks Rich. Just what I need, more work on this boat. My wife keeps telling me, why don't you just buy a new(er) boat. I tell her its a labor of love. Its not about the boat any more. Its the challenge! I'm pretty sure I'll paint at least the cockpit area. From looking at 84Offshores' boat, it look great. That will come after hanging outboards though.

Where does it end? When will I get to actually go fishing in this boat. Thank goodness that my brother-in-law had the good sense to buy a newer Seafarer with a new F250.

Enough ranting, back to sanding.

richie rich

Reaction score
Mike, did you understand what your wife just said to you....buy a newer boat....if that's not an invitation to splurge a little I don't know what is....although you will pay her BIG TIME in future endeavors! :lol:

Tell your brother in law to play close attention to what you are doing with your boat as he's will be doing the same in about 15 years!!

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
Mike, did you understand what your wife just said to you....buy a newer boat....if that's not an invitation to splurge a little I don't know what is....although you will pay her BIG TIME in future endeavors! :lol:

Tell your brother in law to play close attention to what you are doing with your boat as he's will be doing the same in about 15 years!!

Yea, I think she's setting me up to take her on a cruise. I'll just stay with the "Ole Grady", and spend all that money a little here, a little there, under the radar!

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Applied second (final) coat of System 3 finish today. Did complete splash area, interior transom and sides up to cap, and exterior transom only where extension was added. Was going to do complete exterior transom, but ran out of paint. Color match was near perfect. Better to be lucky than good, I always say. Hers a few pics.

gradywhitetransomrebuildday19005.jpg

gradywhitetransomrebuildday19004.jpg

gradywhitetransomrebuildday19001.jpg

gradywhitetransomrebuildday19007.jpg

Repaired/rebuilt area is undetectable, and looks like it came from factory. I could not be happier. Almost finished. Mike

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My boat is a 2002, and has a custom awlgrip painted hull. The hull looks great and looks brand new to date. Personally I find it much easier to care for. Scum stains do not seep into paint as easily as gelcoat, so as long as you clean it once in a while she will stay looking perfect and will not discolor. I give her a quick rinse after each trip, and give her a wash with orpine soap and wax maybe 2 times a month. I am going on month 7 since the last wax and she looks perfect and still beeds. Awlgrip recommends using awlcare products, but applying their product once every other month as directed is nuts, who has time for that or access to reach the hull in the water. I applied 2 coats at the beginning of the year, 2 days apart, and then applied 1 coat of wax over, this keeps the wax from directly adhering to the paint and she shines great and still beeds. All has to be done by hand, a machine will wear the wax paint away and can burn it out. Wax needs to be removed before a new coat is applied or it will yellow, so I use collinite hull cleaner each winter and start over. I find I spend a bit less time keeping my hull clean and looking good with the awlgrip then I did with gelcoat. I know charter captains who get 10-15 years out of it with no maintenance, they wash it down when time avails, and that is it. If you take care of it I do not see why you cannot get 20 years out of it if taken care of and not abused. I'm on year 7 and she looks excellent, 15 years should not be a problem at all for me. It is likely the boat will have a new owner before I have to worry about that.

I know alexseal also makes a great hull paint product and it is worth looking at. Not sure what the job cost the previous owner, I believe the boat was done in SC by Crocker's Marine. They have done a ahndful of Grady hulls, might be worth calling them for tips or advice since they have experience and did a super job on my boat, I would highly recommend them if you are local to them.

Only advice i have, it have the hull painted to the bottom paint, not to follow the chine line as they did on my boat. Not sure why they did that, but would have been a perfect job if they went down to the bottom paint instead of having a section of gel showing forward.

My boat is a 2002, and has a custom awlgrip painted hull. The hull looks great and looks brand new to date. Personally I find it much easier to care for. Scum stains do not seep into paint as easily as gelcoat, so as long as you clean it once in a while she will stay looking perfect and will not discolor. I give her a quick rinse after each trip, and give her a wash with orpine soap and wax maybe 2 times a month. I am going on month 7 since the last wax and she looks perfect and still beeds. Awlgrip recommends using awlcare products, but applying their product once every other month as directed is nuts, who has time for that or access to reach the hull in the water. I applied 2 coats at the beginning of the year, 2 days apart, and then applied 1 coat of wax over, this keeps the wax from directly adhering to the paint and she shines great and still beeds. All has to be done by hand, a machine will wear the wax paint away and can burn it out. Wax needs to be removed before a new coat is applied or it will yellow, so I use collinite hull cleaner each winter and start over. I find I spend a bit less time keeping my hull clean and looking good with the awlgrip then I did with gelcoat. I know charter captains who get 10-15 years out of it with no maintenance, they wash it down when time avails, and that is it. If you take care of it I do not see why you cannot get 20 years out of it if taken care of and not abused. I'm on year 7 and she looks excellent, 15 years should not be a problem at all for me. It is likely the boat will have a new owner before I have to worry about that.

0330091912a.jpg

0330091912c.jpg

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gradyfish22. That hull looks great. Its' very encouraging to see how well it looks after 7 years. Did you also paint the inside of cockpit using Awlgrip?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gradyfish,
I love the color of your hull and the boot stripes...although I think a "classic" Grady is also beautiful...its nice to see something different.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The cockpit was left alone, until the gelcoat wears it will not be painted, if cared for I should get 20 years out of the cockpit gelcoat and I doubt I will own the boat that long.

Strikexone, thanks for the compliments!! One of the first things that caught our eye was the custom hull color, it was a nice touch and made her stand out from the crowd. We had decided we wanted a 265 with 4 strokes and when we found her she was in super condition and priced similarly to anything else out there so it was hard to turn down. Grady's are an awesome looking boat to start with, we were more then happy with our first Grady looking stock. I also love look of Grady's no decals, just the Grady lettering, it is a super clean look and very classy as well.

richie rich

Reaction score
That is probably one of the best looks I've seen on a Grady...definitely stands out in a crowd.

so, as I said before Mike, when are you painting the rest of the boat? Does this nice blue color give you any ideas?