Applying Hull Stripes

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Has anyone applied new hull stripes to their Grady’s?

I bought new stripes, but I’m concerned about the curve.

Any suggestions?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don't do it a few inches at a time - it'll look horrible. Do it in one, smooth swoop. Wrap it around the transom and tape it in place for good measure. Then stand a little bit away from the boat and completely unwrap it. Get the tape and your eye even with the stripe and bring the tape into the boat.

If you're not comfortable with that - follow the ghosting and/or first put some masking tape on tbe boat using the method above. Put the masking tape just above or below where the striping will go. Then align the striping to the tape.

Reactions: Norcoastal

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Don't do it a few inches at a time - it'll look horrible. Do it in one, smooth swoop. Wrap it around the transom and tape it in place for good measure. Then stand a little bit away from the boat and completely unwrap it. Get the tape and your eye even with the stripe and bring the tape into the boat.

If you're not comfortable with that - follow the ghosting and/or first put some masking tape on tbe boat using the method above. Put the masking tape just above or below where the striping will go. Then align the striping to the tape.
Thanks. I’m a bit nervous, but I’m going to give it a try

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Spray where you are applying the stripes with soapy water. This will allow you to reposition the stripes if necessary.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Resist the urge to stretch the decal stripe as you align it. SeanC is spot on about the soapy water. It's your friend.

jonathanjames

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It's a real process. Getting the original stripes off is a real pain. You need a few plastic scrapers, a heat gun, and goo be gone. I would say the most important thing to do is take your time. It took about three days for a few hours at a shot.