Appropriate RPMs for yahama 250s

KentE

Reaction score
I have a 36 express with triple 250s and am trying to determine the right RPM for proper operation of these engines for a healthy life span...the engines, not mine. Any advise is appreciated

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
There are two factors associated with your question.

First, the engines should have the correct props to ensure that the engines are correctly "loaded". While this is usually measured, or evaluated, at wide open throttle (WOT), this correct loading affects the engine at all points in the operating RPM range. There are lots of lengthy posts and references on how to check to see if you are correctly propped, so I will not elaborate on it here.

Second, once the engines are "propped" correctly, then operating them in a reasonable, mature, manner will contribute significantly to their longevity. This probably means a nice cruising RPM in the range of 4000-4500. With those big engines, and the correct props, you may find a comfortable cruising speed at 3800RPM, so just do what feels good. I doubt that you will run that big 360 at a constant RPM that is bad for those beasts.

For reference, we repowered with our twin F150s in Nov 2005 and have 885 hours on them. We routinely cruise at 4200-4500, and I have made long runs in smooth water at 5000RPM.

Brian

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
long life

Check the Grady White site for recommended cruise for your boat. I have twin 250 4 strokes on my Marlin, and my best fuel economy long range running is at 4100 RPM. I routinely run 4200 and if I am in a hell of a hurray run at 4400. My Yamaha mechanic says I will get 12+ years on the engines by taking care of them with good maintenance (changing engine oil, lower unit oil, empellers, plugs, oil filters, fuel filters, thermostats, fuel water separators, grease em, etc. One other tip do not throttle burst, ease the power up.

KentE

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback...the 36 feels right at 4500 to 4800 rpm. That give a 29 knot cruise and gets it on a plane. I worry as I was taught that 4200 was right for longevity. We will see!