Aquasport 275 versus Grady White 272

fighterpilot

Reaction score
2000 models--choosing between the two. Any big differences. Understand the Aquasport doesn't have wood in the hull. Sounds like an advantage. Both have the Eurotransom, deep V, WA etc, but any advantage to one over the other for construction, ride, power required, etc. ?? Thanks

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Aquasport had a long history of building good solid boats with progressive features but have been out of production for close to 10 years so you won't get that "legendary" GW customer service.

2000 is the last year for the 272 as it changed to a 282 in 2001 (with no changes to the hull - just changes in the cabin area). That is Greenwood for sure so I don't think you have to worry about the wood in a 2000.

Having said that, I took a look at the Aquasport 275 in the video below and have to say I like some of the features (assuming they are both hardtops with similar power)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbjDuXKyYo

First off, the swim ladder is on the same side as the transom door which makes a lot of sense. On the Sailfish, you have to walk across the transom stepping over the outboard cables. Not a major problem but a minor annoyance.

The 275 baitwell is located forward near the passenger seat, rather then on the port side of the transom. The baitwell on the Sailfish can get in the way when your fighting fish near the back corner of the boat.

Also, the 275 has a folding transom chair that retracts for fishing - this feature didn't appear until later on the Gradys.

There is more seating in general on the 275 with the wider passenger seat that might hold a couple of kids or an adult and a kid and the seat behind the caption's chair. (The Grady had cushions that snap in there on both sides for two seats behind the help seats)

The Grady bridge is a bit higher with 2 steps up from the cockpit instead of one for the Aquasport.

The cabin layouts are similar with the exception of the bunks - it looks like you could sleep 5 in the 275 cabin.

If the choice was up to my wife, she would pick the Aquasport for sure because of more creature comforts like the seating and bunks.

Therefore, I wouldn't show it to my wife and would just buy the Grady... 8)

Cheers,
-Scott

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The cockpit looks smaller on the 275 but you gain more in the cabin. I'm not sure who you're going to put in the top bunks, they're basically good for storage. On boats this size, you aren't going to want to go hang in the cabin, the extra space to me is a waste.

I do like the storage for the ladder and the door on the same side, why GW put them on opposite sides is a mystery.

Wood can and will rot if not properly sealed but either way take a ride in both to see how you like it.

Fishtales

Reaction score
About the same boat if you ask me. Some differences that pop out to me.
- The transom door looks a bit thin on the Aqua.
- The bunks are a toss up. You are not sleeping up there unless you are under 7 years of age, and then I'd be afraid they would kill themselves. They are good for storage as stated, but make a small cabin (both boats have them) feel even more cramped.
- As stated, the ladder and door on the same side is a plus especially if you have kids in and out of the water as we do.
- Both have high gunnels in the cockpit - safe for kids and non-boaters.
- I'd measure the space between helm chairs. Put people in the chairs and try to move around the helm area and between the cabin and the cockpit. You should be able to do this fairly easily. My 282 (like design to the 272) had 2 helm chairs (not the companion seat) and the lack of space between the chairs grew on me over the 5 years I had the boat. The companion seat is better as it gives more passage way.
- For me it would come down to condition of the boats, features being even (hardtop, condition of enclosure, everything fully operational etc) and power package. How old are they, the condition and maintenance as well as manufacturer.

What ever you choose, get a survey. Have the lower unit oil checked - after you run the boat. Do a compression test and review the maintenance records if avail.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i would also compare access to systems and fuel tanks. at that age, you may be looking at tanks sooner rather than latter. the GW is a screw out hatch. i can't remember if the AS is glassed in. When we were originally looking, i made sure any brand that made it to the finals had easy access to fuel tanks; been there, done that with glassed in tanks. good luck, ron

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Agree, fuel tanks are a consideration on the older boats I am looking at. The 275 has access panel there but don't know if the tank is readily accessible. Will have to find that out. Thanks

13rounds

Reaction score
Can't even compare the build quality and ride quality to an Aquasport. I owned a 22' Aquasport and my uncle has the 275 but I am so much happier with my 208 Adventure. The Aquasport I had was a 2002 and had a soft floor, fuel tank had issues, t-top had cracked and countless other issues. Take it from me and buy it right the first time.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
13rounds, as I understand your inference, a 272 Grady would be a much safer buy than a 275 Aquasport in say, a 2000 model year for each. That I would be much happier with the Grady boat, setting aside any differences in power. Thanks

13rounds

Reaction score
Yes not only in ride but in resale value. I guarantee you will be happier. I'm not a disgruntled Aquasport owner but the quality and ride just can't compare to a Grady.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Ok, now the issue of build with some wood like the earlier Gradys or an Aquasport with no wood. Because the Gradys command a little more money it may come down to getting an Aquasport with no wood or a Grady with wood. What would be your thoughts there? Is the potential wood rot in the Grady a significant enough issue to avoid that risk and go with the Aquasport, not withstanding the differences in ride etc.?? We are talking about a couple of 28 foot WA/Cuddy Cabin type boats, not a 20 footer. Thanks.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, now the issue of built with some wood like the earlier Gradys or an Aquasport with no wood. Because the Gradys command a little more money it may come down to getting an Aquasport with no wood or a Grady with wood. What would be your thoughts there? Is the potential wood rot in the Grady a significant enough issue to avoid that risk and go with the Aquasport, not withstanding the differences in ride etc.?? We are talking about a couple of 28 foot WA/Cuddy Cabin type boats, not a 20 footer. Thanks.

Are you still comparing 2000 year models? I don't think you will need to worry about the Greenwood in a 2000 Sailfish for a long time - but I don't know how long. Maybe 15 years? Longer? I suspect all transoms get water in them at some point, even composites, but I don't know what will happen to the Greenwood after it has been wet for a very long period. I think Greenwood is guaranteed for the life of the boat but I also don't know how the warranty transfers with subsequent owners or if it covers everything involved in the repair - you could search around for that or contact Grady customer service and ask. I haven't heard of any boats build with Greenwood needing any repairs.

If you were comparing a 2000 Aquasport to a 1994 Sailfish that might be a different story. If you like the Aquasport, I might lean toward that unless the 94 Sailfish already had a new transom installed.

Based on a dry weight of 7000 lb with twin 200s, the Aquasport 275 appears to be a heavily built boat. The Sailfish dry weight with no motors is 5500 lb. If we assume the weight of twin 200 2-strokes is around 1000 lbs, the Aquasport hull could be about 500 lbs heavier than the Grady hull, or at least comparable.

If, when all things are considered, it is still a toss up, you could let the Surveyor decide. Make your best deal on the Grady subject to a satisfactory survey and back out if you are at all uneasy about the results. If I ever buy another used boat I may try asking the owner to remove a couple of the screws in the transom to see if water comes out or if the wood still feels solid when probed with something sharp. I'll spring for the tube of 4200. The owner doesn't have to agree but I don't have to buy his boat either. I'm thinking of the 4 small stainless screws that hold the scupper valve drains for the motor well and and screws related to the transom mounted transducer (if there is one).

What are the motors on these two boats? There are certain motors you will want to stay away from, like these:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... epair.html

fighterpilot

Reaction score
As I understand it, the Aquasport 275 came out in 1999--no wood. Grady 275s didn't go to no wood until about that same time frame. However from looking at those boats that are for sale of that vintage, the Grady's have the higher asking price, hence it appeared I would have to accept the older Grady model to stay in the same price range. Not sure the value of an older Grady equates to a newer Aquasport.

There is a Wellcraft 270 in the area, but don't know anything about them. They seem to be of a similar configuration as the AS and GWs.

I am aware of some of the engine problems, that is the early Yamaha F series with the corrosion problem and the Ficht engine as well. The OX66 of that era seem to have a decent reputation as did the Carb rudes, although Carb engines like the fuel, however that is not a deal breaker. I have read good things about the Suzuki DF series engines. I haven't read much about the Mercury engines. In the 1998-2002 era the Johnson and OX66 seem to be listed most frequently.

Thanks for the comments.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Wellcraft 270 looks very similar to the Aquasport - same transom door and swim ladder, same baitwell, fish boxes, similar cabin layout, and that step-thru windshild:

http://www.boattest.com/Partners/Partne ... 476&p=0&s=

You will have to find out when they switched to all composite if that is a driver for you.

I've owned three Wellcraft boats and always considered them "good value" boats. The first was a 1982 V-20 Steplift that I loved. That boat, a Ray Hunt design, made the Saltwater Sportsman's "The Top 50 Sport Fishing Boats of All Time" list:

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/galle ... age=133196

There is a Grady on that list too - related to the one you are thinking about:
http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/galle ... age=132398

I also had a 1988 Wellcraft Sportsman 250 I/O and a 1990 Wellcraft Sportsman 250 with the same-year Yamaha 2-stroke - I sold the first one when I moved to the Marshall Islands for 6 years and bought back nearly the same boat when I moved back. My wife and I both like that model - although my wife hated the old 2-stroke because it was really loud at cruise and she missed the big full-transom swim platform on the back of the I/O.

Now that I own the Grady, however, I can tell you that there is a big difference in the construction of these two boats, at least for these early 90's vintage models. For example, it seemed that the glass everywhere was at least 1/3 thicker on the Grady than on the Wellcrafts. I installed marine toilets in both the Wellcraft 250s and the glass was only about 1/4 inch thick where I drilled it. I replace many of the thru-hull fittings on my Grady and the glass is about 3/8 inch think or maybe more. The Grady has a much more solid feel to it.

Another high-end boat I looked at was the Pursuit 2870 Walkaround. There is one at my club - nice boat but probably in the same prince range as the Gradys.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Regarding the fiberglass thickness, dry weight 5400 on the coastal 270 and 5500 on the Grady 272, so you get the benefit of the thicker hull with out paying the penalty for more weight. Good to know.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Note that the Sailfish weight of 5500 lbs does not include the weight of the hardtop since that was an option. I can't speak for the 270 Coastal, only my 1990 vintage 250 Sportsman. The closest thing Grady offered to that back then was the Explorer 24 which is listed at 3400 lbs (no motor). The 250 Sportsman is listed at 3380 lbs (no motor) which is 20 lbs lighter. That 20 lbs doesn't sound like much until you consider that the Wellcraft is listed as a foot longer and has a much bigger cabin that includes a stand-up enclosed head, ice box, sink, stove, and a quarter-berth for a sleeping capacity of three. I believe the Explorer only came with a sink so all that weight is in the hull.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
The search continues. Looked at Pro-Line 27 Walk yesterday. Doesn't have the extra sleeping area not the access to under the deck hardware that others of similar build. Looked at an Aquasport 275 and a Wellcraft coastal 270, 2000 model today. I like their layouts and the rear folding seat that also provides access to the bilge. Haven't had a chance to look at a Grady 272 or the 282, but don't like the rear bench seat layout on those Gradys. Nor the aft baitwell. Right now the AQ and the wellcraft are at the top of the list for configuration and amenities. Thanks