Are the 330 (or other express) overhead cabin rod holders practical/useful?

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My new-to-me 330 didn't come with the hardware for the overhead rod holders in the cabin - but the wood blocks (and screws?) are still there.

Are these useful to hold midsize trolling gear? Are they practical for regular storage or a total pain in the neck? I keep the boat behind my house and a dehumidifier in the cabin, wouldn't mind keeping the rods on board just to make it easier to load up and go.

And if people like them... where exactly would I find the hardware?

HMBJack

Reaction score
Every 330 I've seen has them. I can't imagine why anyone would remove them. Grady put them there for a reason...

I like them very much and have even added more rod racks. I added one in between the two existing one plus one on the port and starboard sides (holds 4 each) in place of the teak magazine racks. In total, I think I can stow 17 rods. If you have your boat at your waterfront (?) house, you're probably better served to keep most in your garage I guess.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Every 330 I've seen has them. I can't imagine why anyone would remove them. Grady put them there for a reason...

I like them very much and have even added more rod racks. I added one in between the two existing one plus one on the port and starboard sides (holds 4 each) in place of the teak magazine racks. In total, I think I can stow 17 rods. If you have your boat at your waterfront (?) house, you're probably better served to keep most in your garage I guess.

I assume people would remove them so you don't whack your head on them if you lounge on the cabin. I'm with you on ditching the "magazine racks."

Boat is on a lift behind my house - but unfortunately the trade off for waterfront is that I don't have a garage. LOL. So I wouldn't mind getting a half dozen of my most-frequently-used rods out of my spare bedroom and onto the boat permanently.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
In the 265x the originals are good for trolling rods (5 1/2 - 6 feet). I imagine the 330 has more length.
I added some grommets and a lower "butt" rack for 7 ft rods
1585492110109.png

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We overnight pretty often and the rod racks are good for banging ones head, so I can see why someone removed them. That said, we have elected to leave ours installed for extra rod storage. Our boat is on a lift in the backyard and when we overnight we put the rods in the cockpit holders.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My comment adds nothing to this except to cyber-smile over how different all of us are.

I toured the Grady Plant when my 2018 Marlin was being built and after scooting into the mid berth, I insisted that the rod racks be removed and the screw holes plugged. (I requested no rod racks in the cabin or rod holders on the hardtop on my build sheet, but it didn't get all the way to the production line.) We don't fish and since all we do is overnight, I knew I would be banging my head like wspitler.

I also was excited about the magazine racks which are full of rock-n-roll mags.

Funny...Y'all be safe and stay a good distance from each other 'till this crap goes the other way.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Pretty funny. Ok so if anyone knows exactly what fits into the OEM rod holder holes that'd be helpful, although I might go for just a couple on the outer sides, not the whole set, until I figure out the head-banging frequency.

I will say that for as big and generally well thought out as the 330 is, I feel like Grady was a little light on rodholders and a lot light on cupholders, but as above I guess that's all personal preference!

I'll re-evaluate the "magazine racks" as ipad racks. :)

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
hehehe you call it a "berth". I call it the storage rack where I sometimes push stuff to the side and take a nap...

For the life of me I can't understand why there are 3 sinks on this boat...hehehe...my arms are almost long enough to wash each hand in a different sink...

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
A few years back I took my 330 from FL panhandle to the keys - Panhandle = mostly bottom fishing & keys = mostly trolling at least for me . I kept 2 International 50’s & 4 International 30’s in the v-berth rod holders when in the keys now that I’m back in Panhandle there are now 6 lighter weight rods in holders - I don’t bother to remove them when I sleep aboard - don’t remember last time I bumped my head

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
hehehe you call it a "berth". I call it the storage rack where I sometimes push stuff to the side and take a nap...

For the life of me I can't understand why there are 3 sinks on this boat...hehehe...my arms are almost long enough to wash each hand in a different sink...

Yeah, I would imagine being a go-for-it fisherman, your "berth" or "storage rack" gives you ample room to store everything imaginable for a fishing trip offshore, unlike a CC or Freedom. Interesting..Our Marlin just has the one sink.

Good luck with your new Zuke's! let us know how they perform.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pretty funny. Ok so if anyone knows exactly what fits into the OEM rod holder holes that'd be helpful, although I might go for just a couple on the outer sides, not the whole set, until I figure out the head-banging frequency.

I will say that for as big and generally well thought out as the 330 is, I feel like Grady was a little light on rodholders and a lot light on cupholders, but as above I guess that's all personal preference!

I'll re-evaluate the "magazine racks" as ipad racks. :)

Yes, don't give up on the magazine racks; They'll come in handy for something. I still have my Rolling Stone issue on why the Beatles broke up sitting in mine.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
We spend many nights on board, and after the third head gash, I took the rod holder part off, but left the wood blocks in place. I put them in a drawer, in case I ever want to put them back.
Mike