Are there any differences thru yrs in the 265 Express

4Grady

Reaction score
Looking at a 2000 265 Express and a 2004 265 Express. The 2000 has 250hp OX66's w/600hrs the 2004 has F225's w/400hrs. The 2000 W/3 axle trailer is $42K the 2004 $73K no trailer. Other than the trailer issue, both boats are equipped about the same and both are in very good condition. The 2000 has been bottom painted while the 04 has a virgin bottom.

What are the differences thru the years on these 265 Express?

Are there any or many concerns with the old technology 2 strokes w/600hrs?? How many hours before overhaul/s with the OX66 250's?? Is/will resale down the road going to be difficult for the 2000 with the old technology 2 strokes?

$30 grand is a sizable difference between these 2 boats and I want to spend my money wisely.

I call upon any and all that have information and or opinions to any and all questions I've asked. If I'm not asking the right questions feel free to tell me what other questions I should be asking. I'm a firm believer in information so feel free to pile it on.

Thank you to any and all the reply!!

seasick

Reaction score
I wonder how you can be certain about the hours on the 2000 2-strokes. If there are 600 hours, that is not a lot for SX motors.
In addition, I would be somewhat hesitant with 2004 F225s in view of the possible issues with exhaust corrosion. Some will argue that the problem has been overblown but I am not so sure. Personally, I would avoid early model F225s.
The older hull will most likely needs more things over time, parts wear out; pumps, switches, fittings, etc.
The 250s are good motors, but noisier and more fuel thirsty than the fours. Fours in general have better resale value but maybe not the 225s.

30K is a lot of gas and repairs. If you are going to keep the boat in salt water, it needs bottom paint. If you are going to trailer or store on a trailer, obviously you need a trailer. A new one will run 4 grand and up.

It is difficult to say whether one option is better than the other since a lot depends on how each vessel was cared for and what you expect out of the boat. There will probably be more non motor related maintenance with the older hull. You will notice that a lot of the fittings are the same. The newer boat has newer fittings:)
I would pay close attention to the general condition of both boats. If the hull, helm and cabin were well kept there is a decent chance that the motors were also. If the boat has a lot of nicks, stains, mildew, and the like, you can assume that the mechanicalss were not well taken care of.
Ask if the owner kept logs of service and repairs. Get an idea of how diligently they followed the maintenance schedule and if they have a clue as to what should be done. Check out the glass (isinglass) and canvas. Those items are expensive to replace. Compare included electronics. A lot of older gear has little value. New electronics cost $$$$.
And the most important bit of advice: If you pick one, get a survey, a sea trial and a motor survey.
Good luck

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I believe there was a change in the hull between 2000 and 2004- the deadrise was reduced on the later models to increase stability. It's still reasonable on the 2004 and it handles rough water real well, but that is a change that was made.
The 2004 also has a seat back on the stern facing seat.
I agree that there is a lot of discussion about F225 corrosion up to 2005, but from what I can tell, it appears to be more of an issue with Florida or southern boats and much less the further north you go. I asked the service managers at three Yamaha certified shops on Cape Cod whether they have seen the corrosion and they all said they have not seen one. Not scientific but interesting.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
2000 and 2001 has a different dead rise. My understanding is that these years handle the rough stuff a little a bitter, 2002 and up drift alittle better.

And I mean a little - not even noticable

2002 and up came equiped with four strokes (optional) and the rear scuppers were located about two inches higher to support the added weight.

2002 and up had seat backs

If I were you I would go with the 2000 and put the 30k in the bank. If you pop a motor replace with new F250's

Both boats are old enough to replace pumps, wiper motors, ect -

I love my 2000 w/ HPDI's

Enjoy!

Tim

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The hull went from 21 to 20 degree dead rise (IIRC). GW customers did not seem to like the deeper V. Regardless of what you may read on boating forums, not everyone is willing to trade headsea ride for the roll of 24 degree hulls. The 265 has always had a cult following. Owners love them but they just didn't sell enough to retain the model in the lineup.

tilewave

Reaction score
besides the change in deadrise as mentioned in previous replies, there were no other major changes. again,when comparing a 2000 vs 2004 boat , maintenace is going to play the most significant factor. for $30,000.00 , sell your old motors & re-power.

4Grady

Reaction score
This is all great information. Much appreciated and please keep it flowing.

Also, I've been reading alot about these 2 strokes and it sounds like they are bullet proof with proper maintenance. If this is the case why would I want to spend the money I save for new power plants? Wouldn't that money be better used/spent in other areas????

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Get the older hull and the OX's if it passes the inspection, the 225's are not worth the 30K extra. At idle the 225 is basically silent but when running there isn't much of a sound difference.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
megabytes said:
Regardless of what you may read on boating forums, not everyone is willing to trade headsea ride for the roll of 24 degree hulls.

I have read this many times but I tell you, my 2000 265 Express drifts pretty darn good in nasty stuff!

Tim

HMBJack

Reaction score
Besides the softer dead rise on the 2004, I think you will find it has removable back rests which are not on the 2000. I sold my 2003 265 with 2 F225's for $55K with a 3 axle trailer. Though it had high hours (1,300) it sold fast. Was probably worth $60K or more but I wanted it gone. That price on the 2004 appears high IMHO. Though the 265 is no question a great boat, I sold mine in favor of a 330 which is hands down bigger and better for my purposes. Mileage isn't all that different but space, features and comfort - are. Good luck!

4Grady

Reaction score
One of the things that has me scratching my head, atleast until I run either boat myself, is that neither owner will say their 265 has some handling quirks while running. I've read quite a bit about these 265's and they all seem to have some amount of quirkieness to them when they are up on step. Not really a concern as I've owned a couple other boats that certainly weren't without their quirks while running but maybe these two 265's are different than all the rest I have read about. lol

I'll know more after personally running one or the other boat/s.

Bill_N

Reaction score
I have a 2002 265 and as fishingFINattic told me when I bought it they are sensitive to trim tab adjustments. If you've run other twin engine deep vee boats it's very similar and it's not a big deal at all. They are a great sea boat for a 26 footer!

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
It not that it is quirky, just takes a few trips of getting used too.

The boat is wide proportional to its length, and the seating arrangment of the Express has passengers offsetting weight from the centerline by quite a bit, so if the weight is not evenly distributed it will lean.

The trim tabs are big and tucked up under the boat. Unlike some boats that require trim tabs to be in the down position to get on a plane, this boat trim tabs stay all of the way up. Push the throttles to get on a plane, once on a plane trim the motors so the prop is perpendicular to the water line and then trim the tabs ever so slightly to level out the boat.

When slowing down trim the motors back down, slowly pull back on the throttles..... thats it....

You will get used to how the boat handles in no time.

This is my seventh season and I love mine!

Tim

Reactions: 28 conquest

tilewave

Reaction score
the quirkiness they are speaking of is true. if the boat is trimmed down cutting into the water, the hull can "grab" into the water and veer sideways. ( actually can be scary, feels like your going to flip) . like previously said, basically the trim tabs are mostly for leveling this boat off. my boat ive experienced this with is a 2001....maybe thats why they changed the degree of deadrise ??

Bill_N

Reaction score
tilewave said:
the quirkiness they are speaking of is true. if the boat is trimmed down cutting into the water, the hull can "grab" into the water and veer sideways. ( actually can be scary, feels like your going to flip) . like previously said, basically the trim tabs are mostly for leveling this boat off. my boat ive experienced this with is a 2001....maybe thats why they changed the degree of deadrise ??

You're using way too much tab and maybe changed course with the tabs down if you had that kind of issue.

tilewave

Reaction score
thanks bill, your right. i had that problem when i 1st got the boat 6 years ago. ( i was used to having to use alot of tabs from my previous boat & havent had that issue since i got used to handling this boat). regardless, thats one of the "quirks" with this boat, ( in my opinion )

eppem

Reaction score
I agree with what Tim said. Throttle up, adjust motor tilt and then slightly hit tabs based on lean. I someone gets up and moves from left to right (mostly my buddy paul who is pretty big), then I have to adjust the tabs - no biggy!

At least once or twice a year a complete stranger will come up to me and ask me about the boat. They really like it, thinking about buying one, etc. What do i like about it, etc. They are always invited on for a tour, etc. Happened this year twice already and its only April! Once in dry dock and once at my slip..

265 is by far the best "fishing" boat GW has ever built.

4Grady

Reaction score
This 265 seems to be and excellent mid size fishing machine so why did Grady White stop building this model????

Salinity Now

Reaction score
Some good info from good sources on the 265 here, when I was shopping for one a year+ ago, I noticed the big jump in price in just a few years difference in model years. I think the 2002-3's had upgraded counters and bulkhead/interiors in the cabin, too, but my guess is the sheer price of fourstrokes and incredibly increasing price in boats during that time span just probably had alot of original owners paying a considerable amount more for thier boats (ie sales prices jumped I think)

Could be completely off on that one, but its just a guess.

I have a 2001 with OX250's, plenty of power, but very thirsty, I typically avg 1.3nmpg overall dock to dock, crusing is probably similar to all 3 engines (OX, HPDI, 4stroke) but the big difference I think is trolling/idling. I bought the 2001 with intentions on re-powering down the road, Ive used the money saved to get the boat set up just like I want with new electronics, new misc items, new trailer etc.

When the timing is right for me Im thinking seriously into the Suzuki 175's; Ive met some guys that did it (similar hull, not exact) and the LOVE it, 2.5+mpg on an 8000# boat......that would be amazing!!!! And still be able to cruise at 30mph, sounds perfect to me!!!

(although it is kinda cool to punch it and run 50+!!!!)

Overall great boat, but I do wish I had 4 strokes.

4Grady

Reaction score
What should a 2000 265 equipped with ox 250's run up to for MPH and what is max RPM????

I think I read and old article that was done in 2000 or so and it said top speed was 44MPH with twin OX 250's but I don't recall what max RPM was. Not that 44MPH is slow but I would have thought it would have been atleast 50MPH with 2stroke 250's.

Anyone ever play with the props on this OX 250's? Ever try a 4 blade prop, say something like the Merc Rev4 or are the stock props about as good as it gets???? I've used the Merc Rev4 in other applications and have always been pleased with their added perfomance. Curious if any of you have ever tried them on these big 2 strokes.