Argo app

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
I just found the Argo app, which I can't wait to use this season. So how late to the party am I?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Argo is the CIA mission to get Americans out of Iran where Ben Affleck goes over and pretends he is a Canadian and wants to do a Hollywood sci Fi film called Argo and it was to be filmed on location in Iran. Turns out the idea worked and American embassy workers were brought home...thanks to Ben Affleck of course. .

I know not what this Ap is either. Then again my boat ran out of gas so there's that . Is it an AP that Johnny Quest uses? What's its purpose ?

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Argo is a free app for your phone which I "found" via an email from AAA. I came across it while on a cruise to the Bahamas and was able to download it aboard the ship. I was then able to track the ship, speed, depth of waters we were in, course headings, nautical miles from anywhere - yeah it was Christmas day with a new present! The icing on the cake was for 7 days I got an email from the developer showing me how to use the app and get more out of it. Of course there is a premium side for $19.99/yr which I will probably sign up for once the boat is launched. Honestly I am surprised at the responses I am getting, but now anxious to see what others think at first blush.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Argo is a free app for your phone which I "found" via an email from AAA. I came across it while on a cruise to the Bahamas and was able to download it aboard the ship. I was then able to track the ship, speed, depth of waters we were in, course headings, nautical miles from anywhere - yeah it was Christmas day with a new present! The icing on the cake was for 7 days I got an email from the developer showing me how to use the app and get more out of it. Of course there is a premium side for $19.99/yr which I will probably sign up for once the boat is launched. Honestly I am surprised at the responses I am getting, but now anxious to see what others think at first blush.
Ok, I get that it's great for doing what it does on a cruise ship and I can see it as a good back up to the chart plotter. The real beauty would for it to be able to be shared to others where they can track you where you are on the sea . Can it do that? I would think the capability would work as long as youre in cell service or if you had a phone which could ping satellites .

Reactions: PT G

PT G

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Yes, there is a feature where you can connect with "friends" and see where each of you are and set ETA times. I haven't gotten into the meat of what it can do but it was very highly rated by AAA as a nautical aid. From what I was able to do on board the ship it will almost replace your chart plotter or be the perfect small screen back up.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Don't take our response too seriously - it was all in good fun. I had never heard of it.

It doesn't sound like it's a replacement for true chartplotter (or even a backup). Tracking is one thing but using it for safe navigation and trip planning is entirely different thing. It might be a "fun" thing - and for free, well, who cares - it's free! I certainly don't see it being a "bad" thing to have, though.

This sounds like it's using AIS information? Check out marinetraffic dot com for some surprising information... such as looking at all "fishing vessels" in a given region.

Last edited:

keef

Reaction score
Model
Escape
I have used it a few times since my Raymarine crapped out from old age. Mostly Short trips for buoys and depths I’m already familiar. Not perfect, the display is small because it’s on a phone and you have to scroll or your cursor goes off the screen. I have the free app and not the premium upgrade.

blynch

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been messing around with it too. Like the ability to see your position over top of the NOAA ENC charts as an additional resource to the cartography on my main GPS. Not sure I'd use it for heavy duty navigation but nifty for triangulating inshore fishing spots.

Ekea

Reaction score
Model
Chase
id never heard of it before. ill have to check it out