Article on Yamaha F225 Engines

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
There is a very interesting article on the Yamaha F225 corrosion problems in this month's Boat US magazine. Seems like they have never issued a TSB but have a repair kit available.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Up to 2004 vintage, been know and reported on for a long time over at THT.

Didn't seem like nothing new in article.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
At least there's now a big gun aiming at Yamaha. Maybe they'll get some resolution, but I'm not holding my breath. Stay tuned....

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I doubt it even considering the extended 6 yr warranty applied back then, been expired for some time now.
But I hope so for the $$ victims. The article even mentioned the little use most of us, use motors by the hr.

Ironically back then some were defending Yamaha like they worked for them, even more so getting commission. And the nonesense about not flushing the engines - "but I flushed the engine!"

Perhaps with the 2 page article's publicity Yamaha will loose some business to the others, learn a lesson, so next time they do what's right. I can recall having a 10 yr old Nissan with 100K+ miles and Nissan replaced the entire fuel rail and injectors and pressure regulator free of charge except for having the car layed up two days, when in for routine work, due to a few reported gas leaks, when I never had a gas leak nor complained of one nor knew of one, but Nissan did it voluntarily, no Feds telling them what to do. It was 1200 bucks of parts alone I was told, tand hat was then.

I guess being stranded off shore is no sweat, and the weeks lost layed up of a season up here, to say the least is too short to begin with.
Some of us who have been around a while, learn a lesson, and never forget.
Yamaha can still redeem itself, we will see.
Since the article, my Boat US membership renewal is for life even if they double the charge. I never forget.

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Since i had problems with the corrosion this year, I contacted boat us via email. They are compiling data to be presented to yamaha. I would suggest if any others had a problem to send them an email like i did the email is consumerprotection@boatus.com

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
I hope that Yamaha learns the lesson that OMC didn't with their wonderful FICHT motors. Every one has a vote, and in the case of both OMC and Yamaha, the consumers vote is in the form of dollars not spent on their products. I had 2 OMC junkers with no manufactures support so my replacement motors were with another company.

dduflo

Reaction score
I have twin F225's made in 2004 and will be checking this out. Living in Northern New York State our season is limited. If Yamaha altered their warrenty to hours used vs years from date of sale it would be better for everyone involved. With todays cumputer technology this should be easy to accomplish and result in a really neat way to "One Up" the competition by taking a leadership role.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I've been following posts about the Yamaha exhaust tube corrosion for many years. It sure looks like the problem is caused by a bad batch or a bad source of either the metal or the anti-corrosion coating.

Many engines never develop the problem. It makes much sense to have your engines inspected whenever the lower unit is pulled for an impeller replacement. Since the dry exhaust tube runs right through the oil pan, severe corrosion can eat right through and cause a complete engine failure.

Most of the problems seem to occur on engines used in southern latitudes and in salt water. I have never seen a report of a freshwater engine having the problem.

Anybody with an engine with the corrosion problem should definitely contact BoatUS. Grousing about the issue on internet forums accomplishes very little. It takes a consumer group like BoatUS to get a manufacturer to deal with an expensive problem like this. Sometimes a class action suit is necessary.

sluggoe

Reaction score
agreed. i got into a discussion with a yamaha mechanic about the corrosion problem and he looked at my engines and saw corrosion and said to get it fixed sooner rather than later.
the price would be over $3500 for parts and labor for twins.
my engines only have about 300 hours on them.
i do believe if we can get enough responses into boatUS, we can get Yamaha to pay for the fix or at least some of it.
seems rather silly a so-called "industry leader" won't step up and make it right.
btw, if they do not end up doing something, i will not buy their products again -- this is a serious additional cost!!
slugg

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Boat US has been very responsive with me. I sent all the information on my repairs. Lets hope Yamaha makes good on these unforseen repairs we had to make on our just out of warranty expensive pieces of aluminum that powers our favorate boat!

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fell victim to the corrosion as well. All you F250 owners be aware you are just as vulnerable as any F225 owner. In my case the oil pan rotted as well causing water to mix with the oil. 5 Months out of warantee Yamaha offered to cover the parts but the labor is on me. The only true way of inspecting this is to remove the powerhead. While the boat is laid up im doing the other engine as well.

05 300 Marlin F250's

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Also My Yamaha dealer told me they have already done corrosion work on '07 F250's.. :bang