Auto pilot and connected main/kicker?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I never thought I wanted auto pilot until a buddy told me how he uses it. He has it on his kicker only and when he gets a salmon he just has the AP do a figure 8 over where the fish was found, super easy to fish an area that way.

I've been thinking about adding the seastar connector so both engines turn but here's the rub. I don't have hydraulic assist on my steering, there is no pump, so it's not the easiest to move the engine. If I connect the kicker, it's gonna be that much harder to move the engines.

So my question is for those Gradys that do not have a pump to assist with steering, have any of you added auto pilot to connected main/kicker? If so, and if it works great, what AP did you get?

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I don't have mine connected to a kicker as I don't have one.
Works perfect on the main engine , I can't see why it wouldn't work on both if the kicker is connected to the main with a bar.
I have a Simrad AP 44 :
As you can see in the link it comes as a kit with everything needed to connect . The AP pump does it all for you you don't need an extra electric pump.
If you intend to fit it yourself I can post pictures so you can see where I fitted my pump, computer and the virtual rudder.

Last edited:
Reactions: JJMag

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have my AP (Furuno nav 300) connected to my main and a tie bar to my kicker. I have my tie bar rigged so it stays on and works with both motors up or down....rigged it myself. The Seastar tie rods are EXPENSIVE. This way it applies to the kicker and the main together or separately. Lucky, there will be no regrets of you decide to go AP. If I may suggest, go with the main through your seastar hydraulic steering. Great for trolling and for running!!!

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I have my AP (Furuno nav 300) connected to my main and a tie bar to my kicker. This way it applies to the kicker and the main together or separately. Lucky, there will be no regrets of you decide to go AP. If I may suggest, go with the main through your seastar hydraulic steering. Great for trolling and for running!!!
What model Grady do you have? Do you know if it has hydraulic assist? The bigger boats do I believe. Mine doesn't so I'm a little nervous.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
You don't need hydraulic assist. The AP has its own pump that is sized to the capacity of the steering ram or rams.

I agree with Trapper that tying in the kicker to the main engine is the way to go. Keeping the main engine in the water will help you track straighter at trolling speed. This is an important consideration with a 228.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lucky, yes to what Doc said, I have the the 208 with just Seastar hydraulic steering, no hydraulic assist. Both Doc and I did the install ourselves with good info from Furuno instruction manual.

J-cubed

Reaction score
I just finished my AP project on my 208. I had cable steering so purchased a Lowrance cable steer AP unit. Then I discovered that I did not have room for it under the helm. I would have had to cut a hole in the cabin wall for it to fit. I returned the unit and purchased a hydraulic AP. I converted my cable over to hydraulic steering and installed the new AP. I use an easy-steer bar in order to control the kicker. After installing the AP, I tried to commission it using my Lowrance Gen 2 button unit. I was unable to get it to work. This led me to purchase an HDS 7 live unit. So the idea of an AP has cost me $$$$$. I can hardly wait to get her in the water. Which will be soon. I opened my place up for the season last weekend. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I used the Garmin TR-1 system on my kicker (Seafarer 226) and it was absolutely great. The pump is strong and you can tilt you main engine if that is convenient. I ran on that autopilot for a lot more hours than I did the main engine!

The wireless key fob control is the best. You can be anywhere on the boat and make steering corrections.

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My old boat had AP, and I lived by it - mostly for longer runs down to Ensenada from San Diego, and back from tuna fishing. My Gulfstream's AP was broken when I purchased the boat, and I absolutely will get it replaced. Unless I'm extremely vigilant at the helm, the boat will wander off course very quickly. When trolling in tight quarters (ala Moss Landing, or Soquel Hole), this gets annoying at a minimum. If I want to join the fun in pulling in salmon, I need to trust that the helm will stay true. I've had an estimate of $3K to install a new Sea Star unit (FWIW). Also, I don't have a kicker - my boat will troll off of the mains at 2knots. I'm sure that's not a great use of fuel, but I also don't have a wide enough bracket for the kicker.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The TR-1 is very popular for trolling western lakes. I've been on plenty of boats with that unit, which works great in that application. I fish with a friend out of Fort Bragg that has one on a 21' North River. It works fine on that modified V hull. But I don't think it would be very good for an SV-2 hull in the ocean. My 226 bow steers like crazy in a head sea at low speed. I think the problem would only be worse with a kicker mounted off the centerline.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
The TR-1 is very popular for trolling western lakes. I've been on plenty of boats with that unit, which works great in that application. I fish with a friend out of Fort Bragg that has one on a 21' North River. It works fine on that modified V hull. But I don't think it would be very good for an SV-2 hull in the ocean. My 226 bow steers like crazy in a head sea at low speed. I think the problem would only be worse with a kicker mounted off the centerline.
I was in a lumpy ocean yesterday, first time I've really had the boat be pushed every which way. It's a little weird but the boat handled it well, there were times it leaned over a bit but never enough that I was worried. First time I've had to use my wipers, had a bunch of spray come in over the bow. 850 miles on the main engine and that's the first time. Won't be the last.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Good point about the water conditions. There were days that the TR-1 could not keep up with the weather, and required constant correction. But that was not the norm - only a few times.