Auto Pilot Computer Placement 265 Express

bloodline265

Reaction score
Purchased a SIMRAD AP last year and had installed. They mounted computer under feet of top deck behind drawers toward stern in cabin. Not sure how else to explain where it is.

However, got moisture in computer and now have re-ordered new replacement. OUCH! Want to make sure this one is mounted in a better spot less likely for moisture.

Any suggestions?

thanks

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
That entire area gets moisture - I mounted mine (on a 265 express) in the hard top cabinet - set it way back by the fuse holder behind a GPS -
Good luck!
Tim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mounted mine under the fwd bunk, made for a longer run for wires, but should be one of the drier locations in the boat, and also easiest to access. I have my AP pump and computer both in the stbd side under the v berth, same compartment as the trim tab pump. All fits well and is the best access available incase something ever goes wrong, especially on the water. After a full season, no issues with location and no moisture at all. Also placed the computer close to centerline and in the suggestion section of the boat for my AP manufacturer.

0308091450a-1.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I'm going through the exact same problem with my simrad. I'm still waiting for the unit to be returned. i was actually wondering where to relocate it when I came across this post. I like Tims idea of the electronics box.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I thought about the electronics box, but my AP specifically wanted the course computer low in the boat since it has a gryo, higher up will make the computer think the boat is turning at times and can make it seem choppy and over compute things, the better units have less of an issue for this, but almost all recommend a location lower in the boat. Also, my boat has flush mounted boxes and they are a pain to remove on the water, already had to do it when I blew a fuse overhead and had to remove it at the canyon, not something you would want to deal with.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My AP11 computer is mounted on the rear wall of the cabin beside the stairs. No problems so far.
The pump unit is mounted were you had yours and i have just had to have the motor rebuilt due to rust......As Tom says it is a wet and difficult place to work on it.
The Compass is mounted in the same compartment (low and in the centre)on top of the drawers and away from the moisture.
I have just replaced my rudder sensor with the solid state unit and am yet to do a seatrial but it all seems to work and went in quite easily.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
One note worthy item - I have the Raymarine S1000 so no compass/gyro is needed - it ties into my GPS for course -
Tim