Auto Pilot Question

252gw

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looking for advice, recently purchased a 1986 254 Grady White Sailfish. We are in the processof upgrading the electronics. We have made a purchase of Simrad NSS Evo 3 9 for our main MFD. The boat is currently outfitted with the olderRaymarine Sportpilot Autopilot. We would like to upgrade the autopilot to a newer style such as AP44? the boat is equipped with twin I/O mercruiser 470's. Any guidance would be appreciated on what I need to do to upgrade the AP.

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
If your boat has hydraulic steering the Simrad VRF medium would be a good choice, I like mine and you already have the MFD for full functionality.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm also in the process of changing out my old Raymarine autopilot. After a lot of research and talking with Raymarine, Simrad, Garmin, and Furuno at the Miami Boat Show, I went with the Furuno NavPilot 300. It is very highly rated and has a "sabiki" mode that will hold the boat over a wreck against the current. It also has a nice wireless remote that you can just point at a destination and the AP will respond to the gesture.

It was the only unit that did not require a heading sensor (although it can use one), which saved me a lot of money. I'm going to use the old pump that came with the Raymarine along with the original plumbing. That saved even more money and should greatly simplify the installation. It's NMEA 2000 plug and play, so the installation should not be a big job. I got it for under $1300.

Furuno NavPilot 300

While it says that you need the heading sensor, both the owners manual and the Furuno tech guys said that it is not required if you are only running between waypoints following a GPS track from your MFD. I haven't installed mine yet as I'm waiting for a repower before installing new electronics. I am also putting in a Simrad NSS Evo3 9.

Anyway, it's worth a look.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would like to learn more about what it takes to get autopilot, but not sure if the boat is equipped to utilize it. How would I be able to tell? (Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread. Something you all said made me think this could be useful)

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
All you need is a fishfinder or multifunction display with GPS and a NEMA 2000 connection. Some of the older ones work with NEMA 0183.

krabill

Reaction score
im very happy with my lowrance autopilot on my 25 with twin outboards. I also use the point 1 antenna that came with it, it now updates my GPS at 10hz and is a big help for knowing where I am over a wreck.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Not to derail the post, but on the subject. Doc, does the wireless remote work without a heading sensor? Thanks ,Trapper

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It seems that I'm getting conflicting information on the NavPilot 300. The guys at the boat show told me that the PG700 heading sensor (a fluxgate compass) was optional and was not necessary if the MFD was plotting a waypoint to waypoint course. But I called Furuno support today and was told that the unit would not operate without a heading sensor. I just posted a question on their support forum asking if my external Simrad GPS antenna, which has an electronic compass, would work with the NP 300. I'll keep you informed.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both trapper and I got good answers on the Furuno Support Forum. A heading sensor IS needed for the Furuno NP300.

krabill, does your Point 1 antenna compass work well with your autopilot? I have the Simrad, which is the same unit. Mine says that use with an autopilot or MARPA is not recommended.

krabill

Reaction score
Both trapper and I got good answers on the Furuno Support Forum. A heading sensor IS needed for the Furuno NP300.

krabill, does your Point 1 antenna compass work well with your autopilot? I have the Simrad, which is the same unit. Mine says that use with an autopilot or MARPA is not recommended.

It works great, not sure why it would say that, the point one is packaged with the Lowrance autopilot package???

It is the cheapest autopilot package out there, it works great, holds the boat steady even slow trolling. I can put my cursor on a spot on my HDS unit and hit goto and the autopilot sails right to it. The other thing I really like is the red on/off button. Click the button on and the boat locks to the direction you are currently going until you click it off again, I use that a lot trolling as well.

this was the package I got
https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/autopilots/outboard-pilot-hydraulic-pack/
https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/type/autopilots/outboard-pilot-hydraulic-pack/

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
From the Simrad Product Description:
Product details
The Simrad GS25 GPS antenna is the ideal GPS for any navigator that requires extremely accurate and rapid vessel position and speed updates. Unlike other position-only antennas, the GS25 provides magnetic heading for accurate boat direction at any speed and for radar/chart overlay. The GS25 easily connects to any Simrad NS Series multifunction display or any NMEA 2000® network. It is fully waterproof and can be pole or surface mounted on any vessel. *Please note this product is not suitable for use with MARPA or autopilot systems which requires a rate compass such as the RC42

From the West Marine description of the Lowrance Point -1:

Key Features

• Easily connects to any HDS Gen2, HDS Gen2 Touch or Elite-Series display or any NMEA 2000 network
  • Supports GPS and GLONASS, Galileo-capable with future software update
  • Supports SBAS including WAAS/EGNOS/MSAS
  • Not recommended for use with MARPA or Autopilot (a rate-stabilized heading sensor such as the RC42N is required)
See why I'm confused?

The new AP44 comes with the more expensive (and sensitive) Precision-9 magnetic compass, not the Point-1. The Precision-9 is equivalent in performance and price to the Furuno PG700. Since I already have the GS25, I'll just see how well it works unless I come across more info.

Last edited:

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Doc, On a previous boat I had Lowrance HDS units with the Point 1 compass connected to a 2K backbone. I installed an autopilot and it worked fine but I did also have a fluxgate compass in the system. I really liked the fact that with the Point 1 it would show the boats heading, even when sitting still and also the COG (course over ground) while drifting. Really was nice for drift fishing.

Ozz043

Reaction score
252gw as long as you have existing hydraulic steering connecting another autopilot is relatively easy, I love my unit, I’m sure they all work extremely well these days, intergrating into NMEA 2000 without issues

Enjoy it when you get it