Automatic Throttle down feature on a Grady White Marlin?

sickday

Reaction score
Boat: 2001 Grady White Marlin 300
Power: Twin O/B OX66 Salt Water 250 Two Strokes

Symptom: In rough seas, while under power (2k RPM or more) starboard motor is throttling back on its own. Its always done this but I've never noticed it with just one engine and not as frequent. And it seems to be doing it in conditions less than what I would consider bad. Always occurs on the backside of the swell. For the most part, the engine runs well and purrrs while on plane at cruising speeds and on calm water :hmm

Question: Has this ever happened to anyone? Is there a simple fix or adjustment. Should I be worried?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
No it doesn't, unless you are letting go of the binnacle lever. There's a friction adjustment for that.

seasick

Reaction score
Is this surging ( Revs go down and back up) or are the revs actually lowering and staying there?
In the first case, I have seen this happen when the VST screen gets partially clogged. I don't understand why exactly that occurs on rougher seas but it definitely does.

The second case could be the throttle friction but in that case, you would notice that the throttle moved and that moving it back restores the revs.
You may have a loose connection somewhere or a loose throttle linkage ( somewhat common). I guess more investigation is in order.
Let us know what you find

sickday

Reaction score
Yes, the engine automatically returns/Revs back to the previous RPM. I thought I heard a clicking (at the time of the issue) in my Throttle Unit at the helm, but I just figured I was hearing things. :hmm

Thanks for the responses,,,,I'll look into both issues

Bill_N

Reaction score
Just a guess but it could be some water in your gas that gets ingested only when it's rough. Switch your tank feeds and see if it has any effect. If not then you ruled that out...

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd say it is the throttle friction adjustment. Try that first.

seasick

Reaction score
Fishtales said:
I'd say it is the throttle friction adjustment. Try that first.
If it were and the throttle moved, the revs would not come back up. It is something else.

sickday

Reaction score
From what I've read and learned, the evidence is pointing toward the VST screen/filter.

My issue is now, is this a project that I can handle on the water? Seems like a pretty involved project.

sickday

Reaction score
It was clogged VST screens. Solid layer of residue that made it barely transparent when holding up to bright light. Boat now runs better, stronger, faster then I've ever seen it since I bought it used 3 years ago. Oh, and its BURNING LESS fuel. Did approximately 100 miles yesterday and burned less than 70 gallons. If you have 2 stroke yamahas and have never serviced the VST screens, I would highly recommend it at your next service.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Matt