Autopilot Addtion

paleoboy

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Has anyone added autopilot after the intial sale ? I have 2021 Fisherman 257 and was trying to get an idea of the cost.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You should be able to get a good system for a boat that size at around $1,500 - $2,000. Installation should be around $1,000 give or take? It's all relatively straight-forward as far as I can tell...

Definitely get one of the new generation that doesn't require a rudder position sensor (if they even still sell the old ones).

paleoboy

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thanks for the information and I have a 300 hour motor maintenance coming up soon and I can have it installed then. The autopilot seems to have alot benefits for the cost. The GW may be my last boat because my current age (70) and to have the best features to makes sense.

dogdoc

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Best thing I did on my boat. So spoiled now don't like fishing on boats without one. I got Raymarine ev150 with raymarine 7" (all I had room for) mfd. Did the install myself, fairly straight forward except the bleeding of hydraulics. Like it much better than the more popular garmin system many boats have.

Bailiwick255

Reaction score
1. What brand of electronics do you have now?
2. Do you have hydraulic steering or Helm Master?

I have a 2021 Grady 255 with hydraulic steering. I added the Reactor™ 40 Hydraulic Corepack with SmartPump v2 and the GHC 20 display/control. The Garmin parts were about $4,000 and then there were additional hoses as well. I would think this is a day or two of labor to install. Mine was installed with all the other electronics. If you have Helm Master, I believe there are less parts and the install may be easier.

I love the auto-pilot.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I purchased and installed the Furuno Navpilot 300. great unit with remote control. Not difficult to install, comes with explicit instructions. One of the best mods of many I have done to my 208.

Reactions: Steve9506

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Honestly I don't really see a advantage between
having the autopilot steering and me checking that the autopilot don't hit something
and me steering and checking.

Seeing all this accidents where boaters hit jetties/clearly signed shoals/rocks or crash straight in other boats let me believe that the autopilot steered und the captain was not paying attention for whatever reason.

Chris

paleoboy

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I keep hearing that most owners love the autopilot but some as mentioned here have said it can be an accident waiting to happen. Caution while in use would be advised and makes good sense. I have hydraulic steering with all Garmin electronics including radar so sounds like I would need to use Garmin. Have seen good reviews about the Reactor 40. Thanks to everyone for the imput and all of it is good !!!

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

rpnserv

Reaction score
Full Garmin electronics here, running simrad auto pilot.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I installed a garmin smart pump reactor 40 4 seasons ago. If memory serves It was a round 5k total with everything installed. I did the install myself, but had my mechanic help with a couple of the hydraulic connections. The pros far out ways the cons. It is so nice to have your hands free on long runs.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

Sauza45

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 271
I have the helm master and love it. Yes, auto pilot is nice, but you just don't turn it on and forget about it. I use it all the time because when I am running 60 miles offshore it's great, it keeps me on track and all I
have to do is look ahead. I would not have a boat without it now after having it.

Reactions: trapper

paleoboy

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Great people on this forum willing to share !! I did not think Simrad would integrate with Garmin very well but looks like I was wrong and this wi;ll give me more options. Good to here the pros out way the cons.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
It is usually a good idea to use same brand for electronics to avoid wired problems.
Not that it may can be done, but I prefer to have assistance from one brand and not hear from one brand's tech that he can't doing nothing as another brand thing is in between. In your case I would have the Reactor 40 installed.
Chris

paleoboy

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Chris:

Thanks and that is the one I will get and I look forward to using it. Just trying to get some quality time in on the boat while I still can because of my age (70).

Tom

Reactions: OceanSun

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My use for the AP is varied. Great for trolling and 2-3 mph, having to leave the helm to bring in the monster keeps boat on tack (track). I do not stop the boat to reel in just slow it down. We often tour Desolation Sound both my wife and I sitting on the bow (much cooler on hot days) in kicker mode and steer and with the AP and regulate speed with I troll. It is almost a silent cruise as the kicker is muffled by the windshield. One does not want to have any "hurry up" issues when the centre of this universe is just forward of the bow.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have 100% Garmin electronics and I'm a bit mixed as to whether I'd go Garmin again, but... one super awesome feature of the Garmin autopilot is that I can control it with my Garmin watch! I use it all the time that way, especially when I'm solo.

Fixit

Reaction score
Model
Islander
id avoid Garmin autopilot stuff. try giving them a call and ask for pump o rings.... they can't sell them because its a "safety issue"