Autopilot Compass Location on Grady 330 Express

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am replacing my old Simrad/Robertson AP11 Autopilot and Fluxgate Compass. I installed the Precision 9 Solid State Compass where the old one was. It was right next to the main trunk of wires running back to the outboards in a hidden spot in the berth under the helm Area. The new compass doesn’t seem to like all those wires.
I'm curious where other people have mounted their compass specifically on their 330. I’m thinking of just going ahead and adding a satellite compass on the hardtop and selling the Precision 9 compass on EBay.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Take a look at this thread where they mention different compass/ GPS for radar. Also, reach out to abbor as he seems to be the one everyone asks questions to when it comes to Simrad. Believe he mentioned that the precision was sensitive to magnetic disturbances

Reactions: usmm1234

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My compass in my 330 is in the bilge under the hatch just aft of the step down into the aft cabin. It was originally near some hoses and wires and had a lot of deviation on certain headings. I moved it off centerline and farther away from metal. Now my headings are quite close, within 5 degrees on all headings. It is near the top of that bilge compartment and off to port a bit to get away from the pumps, etc. I mounted/held it in place temporarily until in minimized the deviation. Any flux gate type compass will have some small amount of deviation.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When I purchased my 01 330 there was a older Simrad compass in the small closet between the head and aft cabin. I removed the Auto pilot system and sold it. This year theres a new one. Installing it right now. Purchased Furuno 711c O/B. I did not get the heading sensor that came in the kit. I purchased the new Furuno SCX-20. I heard so much good stuff I couldn't resist. Going on top of the hard top. It will greatly improve my radar and MDF screens also. May 8th cant come fast enough.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
When I purchased my 01 330 there was a older Simrad compass in the small closet between the head and aft cabin. I removed the Auto pilot system and sold it. This year theres a new one. Installing it right now. Purchased Furuno 711c O/B. I did not get the heading sensor that came in the kit. I purchased the new Furuno SCX-20. I heard so much good stuff I couldn't resist. Going on top of the hard top. It will greatly improve my radar and MDF screens also. May 8th cant come fast enough.
I’ve decided to go with the SCX-20. I’m selling the Precision 9 on ebay. All my other Electronics are Furuno. A good freind of mine runs a huge marine electronics distributorship. He recommended I stay with the Simrad autopilot and all the rest of it Furuno. That’s what has always been on the boat. This is the 3rd set of electronics in 20 years. I love the new TZ Touch12. I was able to use my 6 year old Furuno Radar Array.

astrajls

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mine is located under the tackle box on the starboard side of bridge deck. Remove the screws and pull the whole unit out. I have very little interference from wires or other objects.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Mine is located under the tackle box on the starboard side of bridge deck. Remove the screws and pull the whole unit out. I have very little interference from wires or other objects.
Thank you. I may try that for now. It looks like my sat compass may be on backorder for weeks. We start fishing in 10 day weather permitting.

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

This makes sense - it might be easier just to take off that odd starboard hatch in the rear berth under the livewell and mount to the back of it. (same general area) There's essentially nothing in there unless you added a subwoofer above.

I think my boat had one mounted dead center behind the pie plate in the aft bilge box in the rear berth. At least there was something down there that I could never decide exactly what it was.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
While not a 330 model, I mounted my RC42 in the forward berth hatch. I made a PVC bracket to mount it to, then mounted the bracket to inside the berth storage, so it is low, centered, not near any wires/speakers and metal. Also it is out of the way protected in this area.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I got the SCX20 Sat Compass in earlier then expected. I mounted it up on the hard top. Holly Cow! It improves everything! The radar, the autopilot and a huge improvement on the Fishfinder. It smooths everything out.
you don’t have to compensate or tune anything. The precision 9 is an excellent autopilot compass, but this Sat Compass is unreal.

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Where did you install the SCX20. I'm in the process right now. I planned on putting it on the hard top to the port side of the radar strut. I called Furuno to see if the radar would be an issue, they did not recommend having it under the radar beam. Said it could loose satellites due to the beam. Putting it above the radar will make it harder and I think not look so great.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Where did you install the SCX20. I'm in the process right now. I planned on putting it on the hard top to the port side of the radar strut. I called Furuno to see if the radar would be an issue, they did not recommend having it under the radar beam. Said it could loose satellites due to the beam. Putting it above the radar will make it harder and I think not look so great.
Mine is on the hardtop on the Port side. It’s about 4 to 6 inches outside the beam of the radar array. It works perfectly. This thing is incredible. It improved the gps, fishfinder, Radar and big time on the autopilot! Best money I ever spent.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Mine is on the hardtop on the Port side. It’s about 4 to 6 inches outside the beam of the radar array. It works perfectly. This thing is incredible. It improved the gps, fishfinder, Radar and big time on the autopilot! Best money I ever spent.
I can post a picture tomorrow if you want?

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I would really appreciate a picture or two
Thank you

fsc60

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello usmm
any chance of seeing the pics of your install
thank you

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hello usmm
any chance of seeing the pics of your install
thank you
My office phone rang off the hook all day. Boat builders looking for their orders. I never made it to the boat. I’m definitely going tomorrow.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My office phone rang off the hook all day. Boat builders looking for their orders. I never made it to the boat. I’m definitely going tomorrow.
here you go. I just got to the boat. It’s about 5 to 6 inches beyond the radar boom. Works great with or without the radar running.

9F2453AD-F4DC-48BC-B209-DBE4D3326AA5.jpeg