Autopilot control

Bebo

Reaction score
I have a Raytheon st5000+ autopilot and the control head is bad. I tested the voltage coming out and not getting anything, with 13 volts going in. The motor works and the reference unit is reading ok. I am getting a low battery warning after a few seconds and the unit is not even disengaging the steering. Can I replace the control head with another brand or even an updated raymarine unit?

Thanks

catch22

Reaction score
Bebo said:
I have a Raytheon st5000+ autopilot and the control head is bad. I tested the voltage coming out and not getting anything, with 13 volts going in. The motor works and the reference unit is reading ok. I am getting a low battery warning after a few seconds and the unit is not even disengaging the steering. Can I replace the control head with another brand or even an updated raymarine unit?

Thanks

I don't think you can use another brand, but you can upgrade to another Raymarine head unit, (ST6000, 7000, 8000 series). Pump, rudder ref. and fluxgate compass were all the same, (core pacs).

Fwiw, I had a problem one time with an ST5000+, (unit was acting nuts) and a Raymarine serv. tech. told me to do this;

This is basically a "reset".

Go into the dealer set-up mode, (I think it's - hold stand-by for 14 seconds). Scroll, (-1, +1) to "unit type". Change the unit type to ST 4000, (I know, this sounds crazy). Exit set up mode and turn unit off. Turn back on, go back into dealer set up and change the unit type back to ST 5000.
It worked fine after that. Funny thing is... I couldn't find that procedure anywhere, (manual, on line, etc). The tech said that's how they reset them.

You can also try using Raymarines "find answers" - http://raymarine.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/r ... td_alp.php?

Or click on the "ask Raymarine" tab... you'll have to log in.

Or call direct 800-539-5539
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also;

ST 6002. Raymarines least expensive control head.

Raymarines page - http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail. ... ODUCT=3461

$500 @ http://www.starmarinedepot.com/Raymarin ... +Head.html

"Compatible with all SmartPilot corepacks and drive units".

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had bunches of trouble with my ST5000+ on my 97 272. I replaced it with a Simard AP11 (now AP24). They were able to use the pump and hydraulics so the cost wasn't too bad.

Sprocket

Reaction score
ST5000

The ST6000 is a considerably different system than the 5000 series. Unlike the 5000 which has all the microprocessing in the control head, the 6000 series needs an attached corepack (read that extra $$$). Yes, the existing pumps, fluxgate compass, can be used and all seatalk connections can still be used. I had my 5000 go bad, but Raymarine was able to fix it for a nominal sum. As a contingency, bought a second control head (a demo unit still in original packaging) on ebay.

Bebo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help! I am going to try and reset it first. Then see about repairing. I was going to order a st6002 off Ebay, but was unaware that it needs a corepack. Glad I posted here

jdelara

Reaction score
Simrad AP 11/AP24 driving Raymarine gear

megabytes said:
I had bunches of trouble with my ST5000+ on my 97 272. I replaced it with a Simard AP11 (now AP24). They were able to use the pump and hydraulics so the cost wasn't too bad.

I know this post is old, but ...
I just burned (due to water damage) my ST5000+ display control head. I am running out of choices as Raymarine service said is not reparable.
I am contacting you (megabytes) hoping you could give more specifics about how I could use a Simrad AP 11/AP24 with the rest of my ST5000+ Autohelm equipment.
Do you have a connection/wiring diagram? or anything that can help me to understand how this mix of brands/protocols can be achieved?

I really appreciate your support in this matter.
Thanks a lot!

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'm sure megabytes will respond, but I'm also sure he was referring to using the mechanical parts of the old installation and replacing all the electronic components.

You would retain the current hydraulic tubing and could reuse the current pump if it is functioning properly.

Same with the flux gate compass, but you would need to upgrade to a rate compass if you go with a virtual feedback system.

You would install a new autopilot system, and connect the system output to the current hydraulic pump.

I first installed an AP-12H, then upgraded to an AP-16, then an AP-24. Original hydraulics used each time and pump replaced when the AP-16 was installed. Also switched to virtual feedback with the AP-16 upgrade.

I did all my own work, as well as some A/P installs for friends.

Brian

jdelara

Reaction score
ocnslr said:
I'm sure megabytes will respond, but I'm also sure he was referring to using the mechanical parts of the old installation and replacing all the electronic components.

You would retain the current hydraulic tubing and could reuse the current pump if it is functioning properly.

Same with the flux gate compass, but you would need to upgrade to a rate compass if you go with a virtual feedback system.

You would install a new autopilot system, and connect the system output to the current hydraulic pump.

I first installed an AP-12H, then upgraded to an AP-16, then an AP-24. Original hydraulics used each time and pump replaced when the AP-16 was installed. Also switched to virtual feedback with the AP-16 upgrade.

I did all my own work, as well as some A/P installs for friends.

Brian

Thanks a lot for your feedback Brain