Autopilot installation in GW 265 Express...

bartoma

Reaction score
One thing I am going to do is make a mount for the pump... Planning to cut a 1/2" starboard panel that fits the location, imbed a couple screws from behind, and screw the mount into the cavity...

The pump will mount with nuts to the panel... I just think this will be easier and more secure than trying to drill two mounting holes in the precisely correct location...

Sketchywind

Reaction score
I was inspired by your account, so I dug in and identified what I think is the same location - right?

I would also like to use the ORB fittings that came with the kit... I ordered a orb/F to NPT 1/4" M adapter and an orb elbow... I ordered both in stainless steel, but now I am not sure if I need to use brass... Do you know is stainless fittings can be used in an NPT helm?

View attachment 12097

Yes, that’s the exact location I used for my autopilot pump. If you attached the lines loosely, you can figure out the best angles for your fittings. I couldn’t remove my accessory panel on the helm, so I did it all from the helm inspection cover and by removing the drawer below the steering wheel. If you can remove the accessory panel, it should be really easy install. The stainless fittings should work fine.
Enjoy the autopilot! It the best upgrade bang for the buck.

bartoma

Reaction score
what kind of sealer did you use for the hydraulic fittings? Saw that Loctite 5452 was recommended, but it's $40 a tube...

Sketchywind

Reaction score
what kind of sealer did you use for the hydraulic fittings? Saw that Loctite 5452 was recommended, but it's $40 a tube...
I used a high pressure pipe thread sealant from Home Depot. Think it was around $10. Works fine for helm hydraulic pressure.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If your mounting the pump right behind the helm like that, I definitely recommend you isolate the pump "foot" from the fiberglass or you will be driven nuts with the incessant "humming" whenever it is activated. That pump is a busy little guy and it is distracting. The last 3 installations I have done I used pieces of commom garden hose and have found it to be much quieter than other mounts I tried.

ZRCfKGcl.png

Last edited:

Sketchywind

Reaction score
If your mounting the pump right behind the helm like that, I definitely recommend you isolate the pump "foot" from the fiberglass or you will be driven nuts with the incessant "humming" whenever it is activated. That pump is a busy little guy and it is distracting. The last 3 installations I have done I used pieces of commom garden hose and have found it to be much quieter than other mounts I tried.

ZRCfKGcl.png
Good tip! I’ve gotten used to hearing the pump do it’s thing underway, but less noise would be better. The noise deadening mat cover I made lowered noise about 50%.

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Update - splashed the boat last week and fished over the weekend. Autopilot worked great but I do not like the pump motor placement. As mentioned previously, I went with the spot under the instrument panel as that's where the original Simrad unit was mounted and I could reuse all the original lines. However, this unit apparently has a much more powerful motor and with the system powered up the compass never strayed outside of about a 60 degree range, regardless of how I was turning. The interference is such that the compass is unusable. Motor is also louder and is a noticeable annoyance. Getting it set was enough of a PITA that I'm going to run it as is this season but will be looking to replace the hose lines and relocate the pump this next off season.

bartoma

Reaction score
Update - splashed the boat last week and fished over the weekend. Autopilot worked great but I do not like the pump motor placement. As mentioned previously, I went with the spot under the instrument panel as that's where the original Simrad unit was mounted and I could reuse all the original lines. However, this unit apparently has a much more powerful motor and with the system powered up the compass never strayed outside of about a 60 degree range, regardless of how I was turning. The interference is such that the compass is unusable. Motor is also louder and is a noticeable annoyance. Getting it set was enough of a PITA that I'm going to run it as is this season but will be looking to replace the hose lines and relocate the pump this next off season.
Sorry it didn't work out for you like you had hoped... I relocated mine due to the plumbing issues... Hoping that despite the PITA of installing all new lines, this will approach will work better...