Autopilot Installation: Success and Failure...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
So, it appears I had 1500 PSI lines, but not the seastar pro helm/cylinder... I have the HH5741 helm (rated at 1000 PSI), and nothing indicates that the cylinder is PRO... In any case, I think I should be good to go with the Parker MSH-5 lines I installed, right?
View attachment 12881View attachment 12882
yep your new lines are ok with that helm & cylinder.

bartoma

Reaction score
yep your new lines are ok with that helm & cylinder.
Thank heavens above... Yea, I was relieved when I saw what I had... Hoping I can get this wrapped up in the next week or so and move on to the engine seasonal maintenance that's due...

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Whenever I'm done with a project I think "If I had known.....it would have been a lot easier...."

Thats why I try to put a lot of details here...but evryone's circumstances are a little different
I hope something I said helped more than hurt;)

bartoma

Reaction score
Whenever I'm done with a project I think "If I had known.....it would have been a lot easier...."

Thats why I try to put a lot of details here...but evryone's circumstances are a little different
I hope something I said helped more than hurt;)
No, I really appreciate the ideas and inspiration... What bit me originally was trying to get the plumbing to work behind the helm... After reading Fowl Hooked's experience with the pump location in the helm, I'm glad I am locating it elsewhere - I just wish the damn thing had another two feet on the cable to the NAC... The other PITA was trying to get lines through the tubes - don't know how you could ever get lines through the tubes with the fittings already on...

One thing I am doing to minimize noise is to mount the pump on a 3/4" piece of rubber mat, then screw this into the bulkhead through another piece of rubber mat - so the pump will be entirely isolated from the hull though this mat assembly... I think that will be a winner...

Thanks for turning me on to the parker fittings - that's the only way to do this...

bartoma

Reaction score
So, today was the day... I finally got the pump properly mounted and the entire steering system plumbed...

The mounting approach worked spectacularly - the pump is extremely secure, yet entirely isolated from the boat structure... The noise is imperceptible while underway...

Bleeding the steering was a messy pain, but I managed to get it done... Used vinyl hose and a tee to run fluid from the ram cylinder back up to the helm (thanks, Youtube)...

After I got it commissioned, I went out into the Bay for a test... The UI available via my HDS-9 Touch Gen 2 is a little cryptic and non-intuitive, but I'll get the hang of it I suppose... I did note some oddities in the way my heading was depicted versus the direction I was traveling - seemed off by maybe five degrees... I'll do some investigation in system biases and how they can be addressed... There's a whole lot of new stuff for me to learn about the HDS - before now, I never really fooled with navigation...

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That discrepancy between your heading and course indicator lines can be cause by factors such as wind and currents. For example, if you have a stiff cross wind hitting your port side, then your course computer is going to steer your heading to port slightly in order to hold that course line you have set. If you turn around and run that same course in reverse your bow will be set to starboard slightly if it is wind or current. If the heading extension line is still off in the same direction, then it needs calibration. You should be able to get it under 3 degrees variation during your sea trial calibration. Make sure you are not seeing any deviation of your magnetic compass when the autopilot pump kicks on and off.

Last edited:
Reactions: bartoma

Micholetti

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
the parker fitting wouldn't fit on the seastar lines - don't know if they were slightly swollen after 19 years, or if they were just slightly bigger (these were rated at 1500 lbs)
I'm planning my AP install & have the same 1500 lb seastar pro lines & HH5741 helm pump (1000 lb). Any idea a slightly larger parker fitting part# that might work? I really, really don't want to re-pull the existing hoses, sounds like a royal pain..

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I'm planning my AP install & have the same 1500 lb seastar pro lines & HH5741 helm pump (1000 lb). Any idea a slightly larger parker fitting part# that might work? I really, really don't want to re-pull the existing hoses, sounds like a royal pain..
If you haven't read them, here are links to my AP install.
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/field-replaceable-fittings-for-seastar-5-16id-hose.27057/
https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/autopilot-upgrade-from-manual-hydraulic.26808/

I "think...maybe" the pro hoses have a bigger OD. Seastar is now Dometic and website seams to be crap. I can't find specs on pro hoses.
here's a link to Parker https://ph.parker.com/us/en/ms-series-fittings-ms-series-fittings-1/2tfms-6-5b
From what I see, the same fittings would work on Parker's 5/16" ID 1500psi Marine Steering Hose also
The difference in OD of their 5/16" ID hoses is .48" vs .50"
Its possible that the same fittings will work on Seastar Pro but its just harder to get them started. You have to turn the collar LEFT (ccw) to put it on the hose and it is tight.

They have fittings for 3/8" ID tubing but I don't think the Seastar Pro hoses are 3/8" ID.

Micholetti

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Thanks so much Skunk. You & Bartoma are my hero's for figuring out this install. I was bummed to find the 'Crimp fittings only' note on the Parker website for the thicker up-rated 1500 psi hose.

Oh well, looks like an expensive complete hose swap-out unless I can find a crimper tool for rent.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Thanks so much Skunk. You & Bartoma are my hero's for figuring out this install. I was bummed to find the 'Crimp fittings only' note on the Parker website for the thicker up-rated 1500 psi hose.

Oh well, looks like an expensive complete hose swap-out unless I can find a crimper tool for rent.
If you are getting new hoses, think it thru... its probably cheaper to buy the tubing and field replaceable fitting and make them yourself. Or you could buy extra long pre-made ones (they are sold in pairs). I found the price of a pair of premade 14' hoses wasnt much different than a pair of 2' hoses. So buy some long pairs and some fittings ...

bartoma

Reaction score

Glad my experience is helpful... It was definitely worth the effort, despite the misery... Of course, part of my misery was trying various solutions until the right one (which was not the easiest) became apparent... Might have been easier if I knew I was going to be replacing lines from the outset...

Looking back, the reason I replaced the fore section of lines was to have something to pull the compensation tube with... If I had found a way to get that tube through the rigging tube without pulling the existing lines, I would have tried that... Anyway, I didn't know the Parker fittings wouldn't fit the lines until after I cut them and tried them on the aft sections...

I cannot envision how one pulls lines with fittings already installed... The rigging tube from behind the dash to under the helm is just to narrow...

Anyway, hope it goes well for you! And thanks to SkunkBoat - I learned a lot from him, especially about the fittings...