Autopilot Question

nevsatII

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Raymarine X-5 sport pilot for my 232. Is there anyone that is using this unit on their boat? I would like to know how well it works at slow trolling speeds, also is it very noisy? Any info on this or other inexpensive autopilots would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As far as trolling speeds, that model will not have a problem holding course at low speeds, it is designed to hold a course at low speeds, the only model with issues was the s1000, have not heard a single complaint about the X-5. Have not used an X-5 personally, I just put an S1G in my boat, for my use it is all I need, only using it for trolling stripers along drop offs or contour lines, or for running to and from the canyon, or maybe holding a course when there are multiple hook ups offshore. For the money the S1G is hard to beat. Does not have the troll patterns, but I'm not a fan of them personally, I would rather set a course myself to troll manually or use waypoints to follow a contour line or temp break, to me the extra money to go to the X-5 was not worth it(almost $1000 more) The X-5 is easier to install since it has less components, I believe they tried to use a virtual rudder feedback system instead of the sensor, I have mixed feelings about that, a sensor is best....but only when working and set up properly, so at times simpler is easier, plus less to go wrong as long as the software stays up to date and working.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It is basically the model that was replaced by the X-5 and X-10 corepacks. They are still carried by many larger distributors but it has been discontinued. The basic change is the elmination of the rudder reference sensor and the X-5 and x-10 now use virtual rudder feedback, basically a memory bank that simulates the reference itself as it learnes how your boat runs. The x-5 and X-10 also have built in troll patterns that the S1G core pack did not, but as I stated above, I'm not a huge fan of using them anyways. Some guys might like them, but to me I'd never use it. I believe the x-5 sport is a bit more money then the S1G, my model for the complete kit was E12122, I got it at boat show price for roughly $1450. Also, rmeember your going to spend another $100-150 for the hydrualic lines kit to install it plus you need to mount the pump, so having a shelf built to remove it is the right way to do it, more money to add that. You will also need the NMEA wires to connect it to a gps and wiring for power itself, so you will be spending likely $300-400 ontop of the autopilots price itself, and that is if you do it yourself, which can easily be done if you are somewhat handy and have the time. I did mine myself and had no issues with it, so far setting it up and calibrating it has been the hardest part, I just don't want to stop fishing to do it!!! I have pictures of the install posted in the electronics forum if you care to take a peak.