AUTOPILOTS

mjmwelder

Reaction score
Just wondering what brand of autopilots are people using on twin outboard boats, and pros & cons of that particular models. I was looking at Simrad any opinions???

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Bought our 2002 Islander 270 new. Installed a Simrad AP-12H within the first year and got great service out of it.

Upgraded to a a Simrad AP-16VF and it was a great improvement.

Nearby lightning strike in 2011 damaged some electronics with EMP and replaced unit with a Simrad AP-24VF.

Outstanding units, highly reliable, great performance and features.

I have installed Simrad units for three friends as well.

Angler Management

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I got the latest Garmin unit. Don't have the model number near...

Works great. Can add a remote control for fishing too. Can increase or decrease sensitivity.

I bet it has paid for itself by now due to lack of sinuous slug trails. Going straight for hours at a time has got to pay off.

RC

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have an older Raymarine which works fine. Regardless of brand, look for one that has NMEA 2000 compatibility.

mjmwelder

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, don't remember the model of Simrad I was looking at but I was impressed that the rudder feedback was wireless which could save a lot of aggravation.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
mjmwelder said:
Thanks for the responses, don't remember the model of Simrad I was looking at but I was impressed that the rudder feedback was wireless which could save a lot of aggravation.

The virtual feedback on the Simrad is not wireless, it is really "virtual".

There isn't a feedback sensor sending any type of signal for rudder (or engine) position. The system works by timing how long the hydraulic pump runs, based on tests and settings determined during the initial setup.

Brian