Aux fuel tank doesnt fit.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Totally 100% my fault. Bought a new aluminum (old stock) tank to install in the forward compartment (aux location). Its an 1 1/2" too long. Thinking of selling it and installing a poly tank. Any pros/cons. Looking at the Moeller tanks that are approved for permanent installation below deck. My concerns with the poly... my bass boat has a poly tank and the bilge has always smelled of fuel since day 1. No leaks... Just odor.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Poly, in my opinion/experience, is superior to aluminum (not that Al is "bad", though). There's probably something else going on that's causing the smell - I've owned many boats with poly... and primarily see poly at my shop. Sender gasket, old hoses, etc.

If you wanted, find a local welder/fabricator - slice out 1-1/2" and re-weld.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Poly, in my opinion/experience, is superior to aluminum (not that Al is "bad", though). There's probably something else going on that's causing the smell - I've owned many boats with poly... and primarily see poly at my shop. Sender gasket, old hoses, etc.

If you wanted, find a local welder/fabricator - slice out 1-1/2" and re-weld.
I was considering that was well. I only paid 350 for the Al tank. Another 100-200 to cut it down and weld it would be ok. most of the poly tanks I'm finding don't have the fitting in the correct places.....

Actually thinking back, my bass boat does not have an external fuel vent. Its vented into the fuel tank area of the bilge. That could be were the smell is coming from.

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Just called the guy that welded my aluminum bass boat. He can cut 2 inches off and reweld it... :)

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I was considering that was well. I only paid 350 for the Al tank. Another 100-200 to cut it down and weld it would be ok. most of the poly tanks I'm finding don't have the fitting in the correct places.....

Actually thinking back, my bass boat does not have an external fuel vent. Its vented into the fuel tank area of the bilge. That could be were the smell is coming from.
Tank fittings are definitely an issue with poly tank. They "can" be put anywhere you want, but know you're getting into a custom job... $$$ ;) And/or trying to re-route hoses.

I've been in the marine industry for over 35 years and I have NEVER seen a vent directed into the bilge. I would bet that it's also completely illegal... let alone being unsafe. That's crazy! All kinds of bad things can happen, including an overflowing tank that dumps raw fuel into the bilge. I would fix that. Maybe a previous owner did that?

Re-weld... good deal!

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Tank fittings are definitely an issue with poly tank. They "can" be put anywhere you want, but know you're getting into a custom job... $$$ ;) And/or trying to re-route hoses.

I've been in the marine industry for over 35 years and I have NEVER seen a vent directed into the bilge. I would bet that it's also completely illegal... let alone being unsafe. That's crazy! All kinds of bad things can happen, including an overflowing tank that dumps raw fuel into the bilge. I would fix that. Maybe a previous owner did that?

Re-weld... good deal!
Ive owned it since new in 2014. Never touched anything fuel related.... Now i have to track down where the random hose goes.... Im pretty sure it secured under the deck with a filter on the end of it. Ill def look next time I have it out. Its currently stored for winter still. been working on the grady....

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
the hose with the red line. just has a foam filter over the end. breather maybe?? def open on the end under the deck. Not my boat, but exact same lay out.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-25 122328.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-25 122328.png
    590.3 KB · Views: 21

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
That blows my mind that a manufacturer would do that. Maybe they're getting away with it because it's an OB and there's no electrical devices in the bilge (although there could be a bilge pump). But I've seen A-L-O-T of boats and I've never seen that. Between the USCG and ABYC (ABYC is optional) regulations, I can't imagine that's legal. I could be mistaken - maybe it's technically OK... but it's just WRONG! :) All I know is I wouldn't want gas fumes building up in my bilge (they're heavier than air). But that's a discussion for another day.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I thin the shallow draft of the hull makes a hull vent impossible. The setup seems no different than having portable tank in that space. I had a tin boat like that for years.
Can you add a vented fuel fill? How new is the boat? Is that a newfangled EPA unvented setup?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
As far as I know, there isn't an EPA setup that DOESN'T still vent. It goes through a carbon canister, first - but still vents to the atmosphere... whether via a thru-hull or a vented gas fill deck plate. A tank HAS to vent in order for fuel to be drawn out.

Regardless of draft, I don't see any reason that a vented gas fill couldn't be used?

"Tin boat years ago"... 1958 doesn't count -- Heck, "back then" doctor's used to promote taking up smoking to relax! ;)

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
If you look there is a vent up to the cap on the Tracker. (right beside the fill hose) no idea what the other hoses go to. but the one is vented into bilge. There are 2 pumps down there. Livewell and bilge pumps. I never pump much thought into it. I assumed it was emissions related as to high it was plumbed that way.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
If you look there is a vent up to the cap on the Tracker. (right beside the fill hose) no idea what the other hoses go to. but the one is vented into bilge. There are 2 pumps down there. Livewell and bilge pumps. I never pump much thought into it. I assumed it was emissions related as to high it was plumbed that way.
OK, so then... the one going to the fuel fill is the main vent during filling and those fumes get drawn back into the tank by the incoming fuel. I "suspect" that the one vented into the bilge may have a small carbon filter on it. I've only ever seen larger systems with larger carbon canisters - but maybe with a small boat, that is all that is needed? And I suppose with the premise that fuel vapors are collected in the carbon thing that it's "safe" to vent to the bilge?

Chessie246G

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
OK, so then... the one going to the fuel fill is the main vent during filling and those fumes get drawn back into the tank by the incoming fuel. I "suspect" that the one vented into the bilge may have a small carbon filter on it. I've only ever seen larger systems with larger carbon canisters - but maybe with a small boat, that is all that is needed? And I suppose with the premise that fuel vapors are collected in the carbon thing that it's "safe" to vent to the bilge?
your guess is as good as mine. LOL! I know im going to pay attention to the exact location of the other 2 hoses. Ive always wondered what all the plumbing to the tank was for. When you open the bilge hatch or after tackle hatch is always smells slightly of gas, not strong but you know there is gas in there. I also no longer store tackle back there.