Aux Fuel Tank

trackah

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am contemplating adding an aux fuel tank to my 2002 Voyager to extend my range a bit. The
stock aux tank from Grady is a 56 gal tank.

Has anyone undertaken a project like this and would you share your experiences. I'm trying to get a feel for costs, difficulty level, sources for materials, should I have a tank manufactured or do you think I'd be able to find one from grady.

All input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The main tank in a 2002 248 Voyager is 105 gallons. The auxiliary tank, if equipped - is 56 gallons. Are you sure you only have one tank in the boat?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
don't know what you are powered with, but if it were me, i would include a comparison to repower with new lightweight 4 stroke. a 105 gallons with a 2+ mpg 4stroke is over 200 mile range. just sayin. good luck, ron

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know about adding an aux. tank.
I had to change the vent hose on my 96 Voyager and ran into a problem because the od of the new hose was slightly larger than the old one. I ended up having to cut an access hole in front of the captain chair about the location you stand then take a wood rasp to slightly in large the hole the vent hose runs through. When cutting the hole for the deck plate I nicked the fill hose but though it was ok but last trip I smelled gas and noticed a leak soooooo now I have got to replace the fill hose.
What I'm saying is if they didn't drill for the 2 hose I don't know how you could cut out for them.
The main tank has plenty of room.
I would look closely before taking on that project. Good luck.

trackah

Reaction score
Thank you for the advise I will look closer at the project and accessibility. good luck with the fuel line repair.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I misread the original post...my apologies.

If you want to add the additional 56 gallon tank, it can be done. Sometimes, GW would put the fill/vent plumbing in place but not connect it. If so, it's an easy job. If not, then you will need to run and fill hoses in addition to cutting a second hole next to the main filler for the aux tank. Regarding plumbing downstream, you would cut the fuel line from the current main tank and insert a Y-valve. The main and aux tanks are plumbed to one side of the Y-valve and then from there one line heads for the transom.

Finally, you will want to add a switch on the dash so your fuel gauge reads either the aux or main. Again, the two sender leads go to the switch and one lead goes from there to the gauge.

RDS and Florida Marine Tanks should both have the plans on file for the aux tank and can manufacture it and send it to your door via UPS.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If the vent and filler hose were placed by Grady i think it would be a straight forward easy project once you get the proper fuel tank.