Auxilary Fuel switch?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi folks, took possession of my 92 Grady 25 Sailfish today. What a ride in the snot! Holiday weekend and the water was nasty and she was unreal!

Question for today is how do I find the manual switch to change and use fuel from the Auxilary fuel tank vs the Main tank? The Sales guy that got me on board today said the switch on the dash is only for the fuel guage level and there should be a manual switch to go from Aux. to Main tank. I could not find one anywhere.

striped bass

Reaction score
Look underneath the aft port hatch up against the inside of the hull as a possible location. If not there its somewhere close by. Ask GW customer service for the exact location on your Sailfish. When the pointer is towards the bow the main tank is open and when it is pointing aft towards the stern the auxillary tank is open.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Well, I spent the entire day cleaning up the Grady and crawled through every crack, crevice and panel that I could and never did find any switch for the fuel tanks. I traced the lines coming out from under the deck to the motors and there was no switch in that path. Looked up under some panels behind the head compartment and those were all lines for the head and shower. There is a large lever switch there for the sanitary lines, but not sure why that has a switch? Salesman couldn't find the reason why not getting water in the head....looked all over the place for a sea cock and never found. Well, I found that one today I am pretty sure. Didn't put in water yet to test it, but when I pulled up the round access hatch in the floor in bottom of cabin, there I found a very large sea cock which has to be the water intake to the head I am pretty sure.

What I don't get is there are two more sea cocks in the hatch, smaller in size. What the heck do they do?

I sure wish I could find someone down here in Morehead City area that has a Grady like this to get me up to speed with all these Sea Cocks and valves and help me figure out what is going on. I am usually pretty good at figuring stuff out, but never found so many before and have a hard time imagining what they can do.

I filled up the water tank and was able to figure out how to get the sinks to work and also the freshwater shower in the cockpit. But, the elusive Fuel switch and mystery Sea Cocks in the cabin floor escapes me. :?:

striped bass

Reaction score
The fuel switch will not be too far from the engine located somewhere in the stern. My vote is still for the port side or under one of the aft port pie plates in the floor. The 10 micron fuel filter canister is usually very close to the fuel switch.
Don't forget to call GW customer service tomorrow morning. They will lead you right to it.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Perhaps there's confusion on the use of the word "switch". On my 265, it's a three way valve that is turned to either the "main" or "aux" position. Someone might think it's and electrical switch, which it isn't- it's a valve. Hope that helps

striped bass

Reaction score
Re: Auxiliary Fuel switch?

max:
No confusion here. It is indeed a valve with a short handle and a point indicating which tank the fuel is drawn from. I have one to select my main tank (96 gallons) or my auxillary tank (53 gallons). My valve handle is next to the 10 micron fuel filter located in the rear port side. I think your handle would logically be near the rear of the boat so that both fuel lines connect to it without having to feed forward and then back again to the motor(s).

Since this has been such a mystery, I think Grady Corporate can clear this up in a New York minute. I, for one, am interested in the final answer.

Good luck.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, thanks for the inputs. Logically it should be where you say, but so far, not found. Whoever repowered must have done something, so am concerned even Grady might not know, but I will get their number and give them a call. I sent them an Email, but not heard back yet.

georgemjr

Reaction score
I would bet, even with a repower, that the switches are still there. As for seacocks: probably head discharge, head inlet (if it is seawater flushed which it sounds like) and either livewell or washdown inlet...

georgemjr

Reaction score
additionally, the manual should be downloadable from the grady white website. it will provide you with a schematic for everything you are trying to figure out...

richie rich

Reaction score
The fuel tank switching valve is in-line between the tank pick up and the filters....follow the fuel line and you will find it.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Ok, after talking to Customer Service, they ensured me to look in Port rear hatch on transom and it had to be there unless someone modified it. So, I looked in the hatch, and found several fuel lines running from under the batteries up the side wall and then disappeared under what appeared to be a shelf where the former owner stored some refill bottles.
So I reached up under and followed the lines and felt a brass type fitting! Ah hah! So, I removed all the stuff in there and low and behold, there be the manual valve handles to switch Main and Aux fuel for both engines! All the labels were covered up with dirt, but wiped clean. The label on the side above the switches was rolled up due to glue letting go. So, mystery solved !

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this one!