Auxiliary Tank

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On my 1996 Voyager I have the auxiliary tank and I don't know if it has fuel in it or not as I just purchased the boat the first of July and have been running on the main tank.
When I toggle the panel switch to the auxilary tank it pegs out to empty I'm talking a hard fast peg.
I had the dealer contact the previous owner and he said he used the tank often and it should have fuel in it but I'm not sure this tank has fuel and it doesn't look like the cap on this was taken off. "No key marks on the fuel cap."
Any thoughts on this?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Why not just top off the tank at the gas dock? That way you'll know if the gauge is working properly or not.

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If it has old gas in it should it be cleaned or pumped out? If it never had gas does it need cleaning?

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I didn't realize it could be old gas in the tank. You could pump or siphon the tank and see what's in there. If there's never been gas in the tank I would think that it should be Ok without cleaning.

If there is gas in the tank that's been there for a long period of time I would empty the tank before filling with new gas. I would also change my water/fuel separator just to make sure.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
If it slams off-scale, sounds like a short in the aux tank circuit. Recall the switch only determines which tank the gage is reading. If the seller says he used the tank all the time, questimate when the last time would have been and then decide what to do. If the fuel was last added sometime over the summer, don't be afraid to use it or to add new fuel on top. That said, I'd do something with it now and not next spring ... :wink:

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I got the post I've been outside getting her ready to hit the gulf tomorrow morning.
I put a plastic hose in the tank and touched gas but I don't know howmuch is in there.
I think I'll try to siphen it out next week refill and treat with marine gas treatment.
Thanks for the info!

striped bass

Reaction score
Switch the gas selector to the aux tank and see if there is a gas feed to the engine. That should tell you if there is gas in the tank.