Avets & Tuna Fishing

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack the "show your boat" thread, so I'll start a new thread.
Gradyfish22:
The Blue on the Avets has held up VERY well, showing no signs of wear. I really like the 30's but the 4/0 2-speeds have worked out so well, I am reluctant to get a larger reel. For the fishing we do, I can't see investing in 50's.
-
MiMarlin:
new to tuna fishing: Welcome so the sport. Its an exciting ride!
what brand of line is that on the avet
What you see in all of the above pictures are 4/0 2-speeds and 30's. These are what I would consider the Tuna battle wagons.
why avet over penn avet looks cool
I sold all of my Penn 50 2-speeds for Avet 4/0 2-speeds because I could get the same or better drag out of the box in a way smaller reel from the Avet. Ours are loaded with either 80 or 100# Power Pro and topped with about 250 feet of 65# Momoi Blue Diamond (breaks at about 90#).
is there a big difference between a 30 and a50
Yep, stop by a tackle shop and look at them both on a rod...
thanks for great info in other posts about tuna
I hope to post and read many more ...

fishgo208

Reaction score
Avet Reels

I have been fishing Avet reels for many years now. These reels are solid. I have 2 of the original LX models in blue and 2, 4/0 2 speeds in gold. My friend that fishes with me all the time has the same set ups all in blue. These reels have been fished hard and still perform as new. Flawless, strong drag systems. Low maintenance and Made in America. What more can you ask for? Best price we could find was cabbage key rod&reel check out there website they have package deals all lined up and ready to fish. Great tuna reels!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree, with all you stated ken. I decided to sell off my penn 50tw's. They had very little use, and for what I am selling them for, it practically pays for a new Avet with much better drag numers, and I agree, they look awesome and feel solid. The 4/02's are great reels and not wroth switching up to 30's, if you want more drag send them to alan tani or follow his step by step instructions to beef up the drag, I can send you some threads he sent me about what he recommends doing to upkeep the reels. I fish all Avet SX reels for striped bass, and have put tons of 30+lb bass in the boat on 15 lb test using that real without one failure, my other reels, well they were sent out multiple times and then sold off. I think with Avet finally coming out with an 80, you will see a lot more big game teams using them over the next season or so. I got to actually feel the Avet 80 3 weeks ago at a tackle show, 70+lb of drag at max!!! and will cost roughly what the penn 70 costs, can't beat that!! I have fished Avet 4/02's this season and loved them, and that was why I decided to change to all pro exw 30's. I have backing, 400yds of Jerry Brown Hollow core, and a 110yd topshot of 80lb momoi on my reels. that is the same roughly as much as my 50wides have with straight mono. I did pick one reel up from Cabbage Key, great guy, I sopke with him a few times on the phone before ordering. Avet pro exw30, $499.00 shipped with Jerry Brown hollowcore and topshot, can't beat that!! He does not sell momoi though, I had him put Suffix line on, will have to see hwo that works out, the line felt pretty solid when I tied it off to something and applied a bit of drag. I'll have to get some picks this season of the boat with all the Avet's!! After seeing your picks ken, I really have fishing fever!!!

Kenlahr

Reaction score
100_0450.JPG

Winter is killing me ..... I may need to trailer south for a weekend. Or, maybe a deep drop for tiles if there is a break in the weather ...

MiMarlin

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responce ken and
the p.m. grady fish you guys will help
the winter go buy faster and help me
catch some tuna

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
MiMarlin said:
Thanks for the quick responce ken and
the p.m. grady fish you guys will help
the winter go buy faster and help me
catch some tuna

I notive you were from Southold, NY..... dont have to go to far.... about 20 miles south and you will be in smaller tunoid areas!

A great way to start off the season is early school bluefin!

Tim