Back From Cardiac Surgery

gerrys

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for your support in my recent surgery.

I checked into the hospital on Apr 17 @ 4:45 am for surgery at 7:30 am to have my aortic valve replaced with a bio (bovine) valve). See Richard's (greyg8r) previous posts a the procedure was identical.

The procedure was done at Indian River Medical Center with Dr. Mark Malias being the cardiac surgeon for my procedure. I won't belabor on the operation details but will say the team was incredible, the operating room out of star wars. I entered the operating room under a mild sedative and received a few more of many tubes and IVs. Within seconds of the anesthesiologist telling me he was administering the last medicine before the real anestesia, I was out. My next recollection was waking to a sea of faces that were bringing me out of my sleep. Whoosie for a while, I then remember seeing the smiling face of my lovely wife.

Once I was awake, the rehab began. Expanding the lungs and expelling liquids from the lungs are of prime concern..and it come with some (a lot) of pain. Thank goodness for the likes of morphine and percoset. I accused my rehab team of being part of Tony Sopranos torture team but the truth is -keeping up with their recommended pace is the reason I was able to return home today.

The rehab will take a while and, even with the need for continued percoset (right now at least), I feel absolutely great!! I'm 8 hours without a pill right now and can still do my deep breathe exercise without much discomfort.

Richard, thanks for all the information and thanks for the prayers and support from you all.

In Tiny Tim's words, "God bless us. Everyone!"

Gerry :D

Average Joe

Reaction score
I wish you all the best in your recovery. Percoset is some powerful stuff and definately helps with the pain but one thing I found out after major back surgery last year is it also causes constipation. :wink:

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
Good to see all went well Gerry - that's awesome.

And don't worry - you'll be swabbin' the poop deck in no time!

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Glad you're back and doing well. Wishing you a full recovery in time for fishing season :D

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Having met, spent time with Gerry and subsequently buying a boat from him, I can tell you he is a class act. Best wishes my friend. We will fish when your 101% again. Be well.

greyg8r

Reaction score
Gerry, I'm glad went well and I am glad I was able to help you. At this time, 20 days post-surgery, I am off all pain meds, including Tylenol and am back to working out at the gym (legs only). But, I turned down two fishing offers last weekend, one from Shadygradycapn, as I am not able to handle a fishing rod yet and probably not for at least 2 - 4 more weeks.

Also, something others didn't warn me about are the chills and hot flashes - perfectly normal!

Your memory of events is a lot better than mine; I can remember being wheeled in by two anesthesiologists and then waking up 8 hours later. I do not recall the anesthesiologists giving me the usual, "Count backward from 100" routine.

Richard

gerrys

Reaction score
Richard, I'm envious and not doing too badly myself. Night 1 at home was horrendous as I slept thru a med (I slept good though) and woke to a sea of rib pain. You're right about the temp swings - I found the thermometer didn''t always follow the sensation of cold or hot...interesting. This is Day 7 since surgery. I'm on Tylenol only and have already walked 1- 1/2 miles by 10 AM today. I feel absolutely incredible and have energy I had forgotten long ago.
We need to plan a fish trip/meeting sometime down the road.
Gerry :D

greyg8r

Reaction score
Glad to hear that Gerry! Yes, let's get together when we are both at 100% in 2 - 3 months. We can form a "Cardiothoracic Surgery" membership category of Great Grady!

Richard

fgunnr

Reaction score
I'm in. 5 bypass surgery 3 years ago. Now better than ever except for prostate cancer.

I was hunting in Mexico 4 months post op and pheasant hunting 6 months post op.

Good luck

Gary M

Reaction score
Make sure to do 110% of the Re-Hab that they want you to do!

I had a massive heart attack in 1995 in Orlando and I came within 1/4 of an inch of dropping like a sack of potatoes!!! When they wanted me to do Re-Hab, I was VERY motivated! When they wanted 10 minutes, I gave them 12......... Five months later I was spearing Grouper in the Bahamas!

Do NOT become a "cardiac cripple" where you camp out on the couch, afraid to go out and be active! Go fishing!