Back to back seat install

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just got my new seats. On the port side I am changing out the captain chair of my Grady White Tournament 19 with a back to back seat. I bought the Seats from Veada since they offered a higher base and I am happy with the quality.

My question is, what is the best way to install the base ? I read another post where a person described using stainless steel screws. What I would like to know is a little more detail from anyone who has done this. Without any advice I would probably get some SS angle clips and screw one into the base and the other into the floor using the same type of screw used on the pedestal seat that is being removed.

I would also seal those holes probably with 5200

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

T

mlaforge

Reaction score
Funny you ask as I just came inside after replacing my back-to-back seat with a new one from Veada in my '89 Tournament 19. Must say I'm impressed with the materials they used.

I used the same screws used with the old one, 2" stainless with doubled stainless washers above the 3/4 ply. If I had to guess, they were 12s. I needed to drill new holes as the old ones didn't line up, from the top of the ply through the fiberglass. I just used a 1/8 bit and rounded the edge of the fiberglass with the phillips bit from my drill to prevent spidering (not that you'd notice). I then gobbed a boatload of 5200 in and around the hole and lined it up. Four screws is all I needed and its a rock. Obviously, I filled the old holes with 5200.

It was easier than I thought. The only thing I was unsuccessful with was removing the rust stains. I tried a few different things with no luck. Any ideas?

Good luck.

tbyrne

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I really like the seats. I purchased the back to back set and a single pedestal helm seat that matches.

I`m with you on the rust stains. Not in that area but around the bow rail area in a few places. I have not been able to get it off.

I plan to take the same route with the seats. I just was not sure whether to go through the plywood or not, but if 4 bolts holds it solid, It should be fine.

Thanks again

Tom