Bad day on the water

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It was a beautiful day here in the Low Country and I took my 208 out for a pleasure cruise, just me and a few cigars and some Gator Ade. After about and hour, my overheat alarm went off and my F200 Yammie backed off. After a few minutes I started her up again and noticed that she is not peeing like she should so I am guessing my impeller or my water pump is in need of replacement. I am going to wait until spring with the holidays coming up and three family birthdays in the next few months. I have use of a Carolina Skiff if I feel the need to go out again, which I know I will.

Anyone replace there own water pump? I have the Yammie repair CD and it looks fairly straightforward. The entire pump is only about $80 at Sims.
Or should I let the marina do it....they are pretty good but $$$ are tight for this old retiree.

Motor only has 180 hours. Gosh, I have a 35 year old car with the original water pump!

PS That $150 I spend for my Sea Tow each year is money well spent!

RAINMAKER

Reaction score
Pretty easy job, especially if you have the shop manual. Also you'll have the added benefit of KNOWING it was done right. Make sure to mark your trim anode ,and put waterproof grease on all bolts when you put them back in. Usually the hardest part of the job is getting the woodruff key outa' the shaft. If it gives you a fit take a small drill bit and drill it full of holes then a drift punch will usually bring it right out :wink: . Hope this helps ..........

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks, Rainmanker. The shop manual is pretty straight forward and it tells you what to grease and what to Loc Tite. The pump kit includes a new key so that won't be a problem. If I can keep my '75 Mercedes running for all these years, I guess I can do a Yammie water pump.

1st grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just did mine last weekend. Watch the order in which you remove the washers. Take your time removing bolts, use good tools, no Harbor freight stuff, When replacing the woodruff key, file the sides a little and use antisieze when replacing. To remove the key, use a sharp chisel along the top edge and tap downward. Make sure you keep the throttle in neutral before removing and prior to installing the lower unit. There is a bolt under the skeg. One of the folding workbenches works great at holding the gearcase while working on it. Just a few notes to keep in mind.

Fish Tank

Reaction score
The hardest part will probably be removing the bolts that hold the lower unit onto the engine without breaking them. Heat usually helps, especially if you can't remember the last time they were removed.
As far as a car water pump lasting 35 years, thats a metal wheel as opposed to a rubber impeller.

dduflo

Reaction score
Water pump replacement is not a difficult job. I have twin F225s and it took about 1 1/2 hrs start to finish. Simyamaha.com has step by step photos but I found even better photos on thehulltruth.com Go to their web site and search yamaha water pump replacement. If you have probleems finding it PM me and I'll forward a link to you. I bought two complete kits but because my motors are used in fresh water all I really needed were the impellers, even after over 500 hours. Your engine has so few hours on it I'd try cleaning out the pee hole with compressed air to see if that fixes your problem. Engine hours probably are not as important as engine age. Never ever start your engine when it is our of the water without using muffs because you can score the impeller. Good luck

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
180 hours is on the low side for it to be shot, I do mine every other year roughly 200 hours. I always do the complete kit the plates usually have some scoring and since it's apart anyway I just do them too. Follow the instructions in the manual it's not a hard job at all. One trick is to use soap when you put the cap over the impeller.