Bad Day On Water Now Need Advice

langski93

Reaction score
I am the second owner of a 1999 Adventure 208, very good shape, nice and clean, never painted and always maintained. Despite that, my 1999 fuel injected OX66 200 hp Yammie blew up yesterday. I was in the mouth of the Piscataqua River in Portsmouth, NH and dead in the water. If you know the river you know that things could go from bad to worse very quickly, but we got back safe and that is the important thing. On the other hand, important pieces from inside the engine are now in my pocket after taking a direct route through the motor's wall. After discussions with my long time mechanic, my options are replace with a new power head (not rebuilt), go completely new with four stroke and keep the hull or lastly buy a whole new boat. I have been thinking aloud recently about moving to a center console, but now my trade in value seems a bit reduced. Reglardless of direction, I will need to finance big time. I'd love to hear from owners who have gone through similiar situations and how you arrived at your decision to take the direction that you did.

One last thought. The Boat U.S. service was fantastic. I have the coverage and it was the best $149.00 I have ever spent. 2.25 hours for on site service and a 7 mile tow. If you are thinking about it go for it. To me its a no brainer.

Thanks to All,

Langski93

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A new OX66 power head is about $8K. For not too much more, you can hang a brand new 200 HPDI on the back.

I'd be wary of a 4stroke due to the extra weight.

Can the power head be rebuilt?

langski93

Reaction score
Parthery said:
A new OX66 power head is about $8K. For not too much more, you can hang a brand new 200 HPDI on the back.

I'd be wary of a 4stroke due to the extra weight.

Can the power head be rebuilt?

Thanks for your reply Parthery. Your quote for the new power head is about right, maybe on the lower side around here. What would a new 200 HPDI do for me instead of a new OX66 or a four stroke? I understand a weight advantage over the four stroke but what would it do over the OX 66 original motor?

I was also thinking about using this disaster as a time to trade for a different rig and get what I can for the hull, which is really good shape. If I put new 2 stroke power on it and sell in a couple of years I am not sure anyone would be looking for that.

Regarding a rebuild, my mechanic Dave, declared it DOA and I do trust him. I am not sure where the piece of the piston or crankshaft came through but there is now a hole in my motor. I am assuming an attempt at a fix would be throwing away good money. Dave also indicated that he would be able to use my current controls and other equipment to dress the motor if I decided to get a new OX66 head. He warned me off using a rebuilt one which are available, indicating I would be setting myself up for continued problems. He never brought up the HPDI option. Perhaps he was thinking of the available controls?

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I need a winning lottery ticket!

langski93

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Sorry to hear about your engine blowup.

The OX66 was made in both carbureator and EFI versions. The EFI were manifold injection, and a bit more efficient than the carbed version.

The HPDI is a DFI, or Direct Fuel Injection engine, and provided a pretty significant increase in fuel efficiency over the EFI version.

The difference in fuel efficiency between HPDI and 4S is not all that significant. The DFI is simpler, a bit less costly to maintain, but uses "Brown Gold" with the fuel.

We purchase our 2002 Islander new, with a 2001 250HP OX66 installed by the dealer. We repowered to twin F150s in October 2005 to increase our fuel efficiency enough to allow offshore fishing with the installed tankage. We achieved a 35%-40% increase in fuel efficiency, going from a reliable 1.2nm/gal to 1.6-1.7nm/gal when running offshore with heavy loads.

Best wishes with whichever COA you decide on.

Brian

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
An HPDI will bolt right up and use the existing rigging. I'd swap the tach for a new one with built in hour meter, and to be safe I'd swap the oil tank, but you can probably use the same prop.

Unless of course, this is an excuse to satisfy your 2 foot itis itch... :mrgreen:

Fish Tank

Reaction score
If you're looking to sell/trade in the near future:
1. Sell everything as is and let the new owner repower. You will never make back the money you spend selling the boat with a "new motor"
2. Search ebay, craigslist, scream and fly, local marinas that do repowers for any used yamaha in a similar horsepower and bolt it up, get it running and sell it
3. Rebuild what you have with a powerhead and sell it when the warranty gets close to the end (http://www.outboardexchange.com/powerheads.htm)

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can try selling a boat without power but it better be really clean and cheap. Price things out but you may be better off putting on a new Yami powerhead, it would have a 1 year warranty which may attract a buyer.

gw204

Reaction score
You should be able to find a solid, used 200 - 225 OX66 for under well $5000. I would go that route before I spent $8K on a powerhead...

langski93

Reaction score
Thanks for replies everyone. I have been travelling for business this past week, but I need to make a decision very shortly if I hope to salvage the last part of the season. I will let you know which route I take. There may be a hull for sale shortly, if you know of anyone with interest, tell them to watch the site. I am in New Hampshire.

langski93

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok how come nobody asked how the original motor blew up? Engine pieces, and hole in the block; sounds like she seized and threw a connecting rod?? That's a lubrication issue and you've possibly neglected your oiler. Yea, another OX66 is the way I would go. That's a bolt on that just about anyone can do. But if you don't pull the oil tank to clean and check the oiling system the same thing will happen. What did your mechanic say caused the problem? I've seen this engine sell on the used marked for $3500 in good shape & low hours. So many people are caught in the 4-stroke craze and repower for the perceved savings. Tons of these motors on the market.

jellyfish

Reaction score
Put A New F200 4 stroke Yamaha on her and you are good to go. If you do sell the hull/boat please pm me or e-mail me at jmslimjim@aol.com

langski93

Reaction score
Tucker said:
Ok how come nobody asked how the original motor blew up? Engine pieces, and hole in the block; sounds like she seized and threw a connecting rod?? That's a lubrication issue and you've possibly neglected your oiler. Yea, another OX66 is the way I would go. That's a bolt on that just about anyone can do. But if you don't pull the oil tank to clean and check the oiling system the same thing will happen. What did your mechanic say caused the problem? I've seen this engine sell on the used marked for $3500 in good shape & low hours. So many people are caught in the 4-stroke craze and repower for the perceved savings. Tons of these motors on the market.

Hi Tucker,
You bring up an issue that I have had in the back of my mind as this motor was well maintained with preseason prep and then monitored during the season. Oil tanks have been drained completely and cleaned twice in the past 5 years, but I don't know what could have gone wrong further down the line. I have always insisted these motors don't like to troll and I was trolling for several hours. Do you think that had something to do with it? I have been focused on getting my boat back on the water vs. the autopsy of the motor. I have discounted a used motor or a rebuild as throwing good money after bad and maybe that's not the way to look at it. Do I spend another $3500 to $4500 for what could be someone else's problem (used motor) or spend $10,000 for a new from factory powerhead with a 1 year warranty or go to a new four stroke? The tide of opinion seems to be with the four strokes, though it appears that Yamaha still sells brand new HPDI 2 Strokes (leftovers?) These are the decisions I have to make while minimizing the additional $$ spent on subsequent repairs and maintenence. My wife is understanding but I owe it to her to do the right thing. The next poster says hang new 4 stroke power on it and move on. I know one thing. A new Grady is out of the question, the siren song of other new boats that don't compare will not be answered, as I know they are not as good as my 1999 hull and I will regret the step down. In one form or another it looks like a re-power.

langski

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Water in the fuel...water in the oil, or garbage sucked through the engine due to ethanol will all cause them to blow up.

I've been reading on THT and a number of folks with OX66 motors have had them blow up this year...I don't know if 15% Ethanol is finding it's way into the fuel supply, or if it's the cumulative effect of a couple years of Ethanol, or if it's just coincidental timing.

I know I am diligent on using Sta-Bil and Ring Free, even though the pump may say ethanol-free. I'm also replacing the fuel filter 2X a season. When I replaced the fuel sender a couple months ago, I took a flashlight and inspected the inside of the tank. It was shiny clean. This tells me that ethanol is scrubbing everything.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well lang, only a decision you can make. Only you know your financial situation. You have 3-choices to pick from each with extremely differnet financial outcomes. (A) New 200HP 4-stroke say, $15,000 when it's all done, None of your rigging or binacle will work. (B) $10K for a factory rebuild. Al work done by Yam tech? Assuming yes, or they won't give you a 1-year warranty. (C) Used 200HP OX66, say...$5K with labor installed. I'd go with a used motor with the following as a given and budgeted for: 1) Engine Survey, can be as simple as a compression test and sea trial. 2) Budget about $500 in parts to freshen things (new fuel & water pumps, PRV valve, oiler overhaul, 02 sensor, etc. I wouldn't care what the seller told me had been don, I would do all this stuff anyways. Too many of these motors out there running well. You had an issue and I would find out what it was, fix it, and move on.

langski93

Reaction score
Since there were many of you who offered up some good advice or issues I should consider, I thought I would give everyone an update. After speaking to a Grady Dealer, who said the new lighter weight four strokes would be out over the winter, I decided to hang it up for the season and have my repower done over the winter. My mechanic, who is a full Yamaha dealer, then tried to order one (or at least put on the list) and was told by his dealer rep. that those motors would not be ready until some time later next year at the earliest. Putting a current FS 150 would mean a drop of 50hp and a serious increase in weight. It was the Grady dealer who told me I would not be happy with the 150hp on my 208. Ok, so barring any unforseen problems, I am going with a rebuild of the motor with a reconditioned head. I get a one year warranty (possibly buy an extended warranty) and the supplier is a know quantity who stands behind their work. There are some items that are required to be replace like the water pump, but Mechanic Dave is going to replace anything that looks even slightly questionable, so we have already decided on a new oil pump, sensors etc. Final cost is $7200. A brand new powerhead with a few extras would be pushing $11,000 with a one year warranty. Complete new set up $20k to $22k for Yammie. Finally, if I get balance of this year and all next year, afterwards is bonus and I can decide next steps including a trade or sale with a boat that is running...much easier position in my opinion. So, I should be back on the water the week after next and I am not going to take the balance of season for granted.

langski

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Glad you decided which way to go lang. Believe you still need to correct what went wrong with the original powerhead or possibly be in the same boat. An OX66 doesn't blow up without a good reason. Has an autopsy been done??

langski93

Reaction score
Tucker,
I should have some info on what went wrong this week. The head was ordered Monday and other parts were called for. Mechanic Dave will have it in the shed and is going to have me on the water by next weekend. Wish me luck.

langski