BAD GAS

highlander

Reaction score
My 50 gal reserve tank needs to be emptied. I bought a fuel pump and tried removing through the fill opening.
No luck. I removed the aux fuel line from the water separator and attempted to suck it out. No luck. I opened the inspection plate to access the top of the tanks but the bolts look like someone tried removing them previously, some of the bolts were rounded out. So......any idea out there how to remove 50 gal of bad gas??

chrisk

Reaction score
I use a small fuel pump and hook it up to the barb for the fuel line off the tank. Done this many times to get fuel for my generator post hurricane. If you're not getting anything out of this line the pickup may be clogged. Try putting a line on the barb and using compressed air to unplug the line.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
You will need to take the sender off and run the intake hose for the fuel pump down into the tank, its the only way to empty the tank completely. If the screws are stripped you can either take a Dremel or oscillating tool and square off the screw so you can get a wrench on it or cut a notch and use a flat head screw driver.

Last edited:

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
You will need to take the sender off and run the intake hose for the fuel pump down into the tank, its the only way to empty the tank completely. If the screws are stripped you can either take a Dremel and square off the screw so you can get a wrench on it or cut a notch and use a flat head screw driver.
Dremel... sparks... fuel.... BE CAREFUL!

seasick

Reaction score
My 50 gal reserve tank needs to be emptied. I bought a fuel pump and tried removing through the fill opening.
No luck. I removed the aux fuel line from the water separator and attempted to suck it out. No luck. I opened the inspection plate to access the top of the tanks but the bolts look like someone tried removing them previously, some of the bolts were rounded out. So......any idea out there how to remove 50 gal of bad gas??
This can be a very dangerous job.. Be forewarned.
Remember that a tank full of gas is a lot less dangerous than partially or pretty empty tank. You will not be able to easily empty all the gas without pulling the sender but I don't recommend that at this point. If you need to do any work like grinding or drilling, you should take special precautions to avoid an explosion. That usually means flooding the tank and possibly tank coffin/bilge with carbon dioxide .

Hopefully you bought a transfer pump that is approved for gasoline. Although an automotive pump can work, they may need to be primed or immersed in the gas in the tank.
You should be able to pump gas using the hose that runs to the motor or better yet a new hose connected to the tank pickuo.
If you have a stuck anti-siphon valve or a blocked pickup, you will not be able to pump gas out.
You will not be able to blow air back into the tank if the anti-siphon valve is closed o blocked.

Should you be successful in pumping the gas out, you still have to get rid of it (legally).

It's your decision but I suggest you have a licensed person empty out the tank and dispose of the gas. It will be expensive but you won't be putting your well being at risk.

Oh, putting air into the tank using a compressor is also potentially dangerous. You should make sure you never exceed 5 psi. Otherwise you could burst the tank.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Off the top of my head, some options:

Try a vice grip on the sending unit's bolts. Crank it down tight on the bolt heads.

Don't use anything that will cause a spark.

You have to overcome the spring inside the anti-siphon valve. Remove the anti-siphon valve from the tank fitting and get a simple pipe to barb adapter so you hook-up your (gasoline approved) pump to the adapter. A cheap thing like a kerosene/gas "transfer" pump is not going to work - doesn't have enough suction to overcome the spring.

Remove the fill or vent hose at the tank and stick a hose down there to siphon out.

Finest Kind

Reaction score
You said your tried disconnecting the fuel line from where it enters the water separator filter (before it enters the motor) and "sucking it out", but that didn't work.
Try just connecting a long section of hose to that disconnected fuel line with a fuel primer bulb to SIPHON all the gas out into a fuel container located below the level of the tank. (if your boat is up on blocks, put the gas container on the ground).

seasick

Reaction score
You said your tried disconnecting the fuel line from where it enters the water separator filter (before it enters the motor) and "sucking it out", but that didn't work.
Try just connecting a long section of hose to that disconnected fuel line with a fuel primer bulb to SIPHON all the gas out into a fuel container located below the level of the tank. (if your boat is up on blocks, put the gas container on the ground).
If there is an anti-siphon valve, the distance from the gas level to where the gas is being siphoned into will need to be increased for the siphon effect to overcome the spring pressure on that valve. In other words, the siphon may not work if you cant get the hose lower than the keel line, If you can removing the ant siphon valve is advisable

I forgot to mention earlier that if the tank is full, opening the sender access often will result in gas pouring out into the bilge and or tank coffin.

Reactions: fordfisherman