Baitwell and wash down valves, can you run with those open?

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
My dealer said to not run with those open, he said that it could force water up through the wash down.

I've not looked under the boat to see how those get water, if the wash down is a scoop forward then I can see that but shouldn't the baitwell be sorted so that you can run with that on? I'm going crabbing, if I get crabs I want water circulating.

This is on a 2020 228.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
You can run just fine with the valves open. Even if water is forced in, no issue at all. When you are using the bait tank, the valve is open while running. If a little water gets in your bait tank, it will just drain out.
And what's the harm of water forced up through the wash down - IF it does at all?

Now having said all that - it is safer to have through hull valves closed if you're not using them.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you plan to be underway with them open, just make sure your wash down cap is secured. Mine wasn’t tightened enough and had water dripping out when running.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I run with my washdown valve open all the time with a hose attached. I keep the live well valve closed unless I am keeping live bait. The live well system will run a lot of water without the pump when the boat is on plane. I only use the pump when the boat is stationary. If I run with the live well valve open a lot of water will splash into the adjacent covered compartment that I use for storing lunch.

Reactions: Lt.Mike

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I pretty much always run with with washdown valve open. It has never caused a problem. With the livewell you have to be careful as it will force feed and overflow. If you have bait or fish in it the only problem is if you are leaning against it when it overflows. Since the livewell is insulated I also will use it as a cooler quite often. In this situation you want to make sure the valve is closed when running, as it will flood the compartment. The same would hold true if you used it as a storage compartment.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I run with both of mine open sometimes and other than forcing water into livewell which drains right out, never noticed any ill effects. Washdown usually has the hose on also.

Blaugrana

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, the first time I used the the livewell as a cooler I wondered where all the ice went so fast....

x2 Opened it up to put a fluke in there and thought I left the ice at the dock....

glad I’m not the only one that made that mistake

reelserious

Reaction score
All you guys running around with the baitwell valve open, even when there is no bait in it, just keep in mind that salt water weighs 8.6 pounds per gallon. That's 258 pounds for a 30 gallon tank. Like having a permanent passenger on board. As pointed out above, for safety reasons, all through hull valves should be closed when not in use, especially if the boat is kept on a slip or mooring.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Washdown - ok to run open.
Livewell - ok to run open except you may fill the baitwell and it may overflow into the cockpit. On my boat the livewell draws a lot of water underway without the pump on, fills up and overflows. The plug may stop this but I have not tried. I usually run the livewell closed unless using and the pump is on.

Fishtales

Reaction score
without the overflow tube plugged in it drains out as fast as it comes in...but takes your ice or soaks whatever is in there

Yes... I was not happy the first time I found that out and all our ice for the drinks was gone!

seasick

Reaction score
On MyOtherboat the livewell has a flow adjuster (nozzle type of valve) on the water inlet. On my smaller Grady the feed is not adjustable.
In the case of the tank with the nozzle, closing it will stop any flow either from the boat moving OR when the pump is powered. At sea at speed, it is not necessary to use the pump, the pressure of the sea water in the strainer/scoop is enough to fill the livewell. So, to make a long story even longer, on the small Grady the livewell may get wet with the seacock open. On the other boat, there seacock can be left open and the livewell can remain dry as long as the nozzle is closed.

I think the important question is whether you should leave the sea cocks open when not in use. It is advisable to keep them closed but mine are such a pain to get to and are hard to operate when you do get to them, I leave them open:)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree, best from a safety perspective and GW's advice is to keep them closed when not in use.