Baitwell Pump in the Aft Berth Bilge in the 33 x

gulfcart

Reaction score
So I gotta ask..I've had my 33 express about a year.. Over 400 hrs.. This weekend we're out fishing for Mangos.. Had bait left over, when we anchored out for the night..I forgot how irratating the sound of the bait well pump running is all night when your trying to sleep.. Why would they mount it in the aft berth bilge.. Put it in the aft bilge and insulate it..Geeeeez.. I now carry a bait holder so at night we can sleep!
Just IMO.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
sounds like you're back up and running. glad to see that.

i think someone thought that a shorter run to the livewell was better than sound isolation.

i don't know why builders wouldn't use the seachest approach. yeah, more expensive, but you control the placement and number of thru hulls.

gradyfish, any tech/engineering issues against the seachest?

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Depending on sea chect design's and location they can add disturbance to propeller's. We have stopped using them and now have cntralized sea water system's where I work, they are expensive and require more components so they are better suited for large boats.

The biggest issue with sea chests are if they are ever clogged nothing works, if you have various pick up's, you might lose one system, but rarely all of them. Also on smaller boat's, keeping runs shorter tends to lead to less problems. I do agree 100% that if it was below or near a living space the pump should have been boxed in or the bulkhead or floor that butts to the pump should contain some sound insulation to atleast dampen the sound. Since no Grady model's are huge boat's and moving the pump from the aft cabin to the cockpit near the transom is not a very far run, surprised they did not put it there since on many other models they are. Not sure if space or access was an issue and one spot was better then another. Also, maybe that model had issues with pick up strainers and thru hulls near one another causing a disturbance. There could be a few factor's, but I agree 100% something better should have been done to accomodate the noise.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
see, this i why i leave designing to the professionals. thx as always. ron

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
FWIW, i had the cover removed and install sound insullation on that wall, then put back the cover. The noise was almost gone. I was going to double the insullation, but i bought the boat i have now and never did it. I'm sure it would help some more.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
NEM....Glad to see this has been done. I figured it would not be too hard to do, makes you wonder why some builder's don't put the extra effort into the details. I have to admit, I see it at work though too, 50% of us in design/engineering actaully fish boats and understand this stuff, the other half are clueless and ride a boat 1 time a year so to them they do not understand the little details that make a difference. Luckily our dept manager is good at preventing anything like this, but it just ends up wasting time and $ to relocate stuff or redesign what less experienced workers did the first time around. I know adding insulation isn't too hard and would make a huge difference. Just designed and built a boat with a stateroom backing up to an engineroom, put no insulation in at first, then tested a few different one's, you'd be amazed what a simple 1/2" piece of sound proofing foam would do, although we went with something a little more techincal. It cut out about 85% of the noise, to get rid of it all would have cost a bundle....lot of ponies on the other side :D

NEM..what type of sound inulation did you use? Was it a sheet of foam, how thick? Or was it the spray can stuff that expands? I know there is some roll on stuff too that I have seen. Plenty of products out there that will get the job done

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used the one that looks like an egg case. They using it when sound proofing clubs and audio rooms. I had a friend working in a place like this at the time and was lucky enough to get a few pieces for free. Great stuff.