Balancer Update Twin 150s?

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
So I bought my used 2008 Gulfstream 232 last year. The twin 150s had only 288 hrs on them. I put 165 additional hrs on them in my first year (a bunch of them at idle because I fish alone quite a bit and I don't like to turn them off when drifting Shinnecock Inlet). I have the maintenance records for the life of the boat and everything has been done to Yamaha schedule except for the impellers and thermostats which are being replaced this week before I put her in. I am a bit worried about the balancer issue on these early 4 stroke 150s. My records show that they replaced the balancer shafts in 2010 but the info I have seen is that the updated balancer fix came in 2012. I don't have any whine and other than having to replace the fuel sender everything has been good so far. Any of you guys with experience have advise for a newbie? Will I need to fix these again at some point? Appreciate any advise on this. Love my Grady!

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
They have done numerous balancer updates. I replaced one on a 2004 F150 in 2009. Each update seems to have been a little better than the previous one.

They generally don't grenade on you prior to getting the whine. Since you have twins, if I were you I'd wait and see if you get the whine in one of them before spending the money to upgrade a pair.

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks Doc! Glad to hear they don't generally get catastrophic right away. My records show it cost $1365 for the pair in 2010 so I am sure its more now. Like to avoid it if I can. It also said the previous owner was complaining of noise coming from the powerhead before they replaced them.

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Don't have that for sure! I see you are in Homosassa. My wife used to have a bunch of family there. When My father in law died we put a plaque on one of the benches in the Wildlife Park and spread some of his ashes in the river. He was a lifelong boater first in NJ and then in Homosassa.

Fishtales

Reaction score
sounds like a cheap swing machine...

seasick

Reaction score
Fishtales, you comment had me in stitches!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Doc thanks for the video and your other valuable input, I'm just up the road from you.