Ball Scuppers

phil217

Reaction score
So I have a 2004 228 and I have noticed waters gets in when there is a lot of weight to one side. I want to replace these with the ball scuppers but am a bit perplexed on how to get the SS portion off the boat? Is it just glued on? I dont see any screws...IMG_20190409_120057087.jpg

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you put new flappers in the existing through hulls, you will see a big improvement in stopping in-flow from listing. The old ones get stiff and stop doing their job. I have never been a fan of check balls.

dbiscayne

Reaction score
the SS portion is part of the thru hull, & is holding the drain hose in place, you're not getting that off. Find a Ball Scupper that'll fit over the SS.

scott1949

Reaction score
There is a large nut that holds the thru hole in place. I replaced mine with Gemlux and put the duckbill inserts which work great. You can contact Gemlux and provide them with the size of your present thru hole to see if their duckbill will work, if not, you need to purchase their thru hole and insert.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Try the flapper first. It is the easiest and most inexpensive method. If that doesn't produce results, you will need follow Scott's advice.

phil217

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, I will try and replace just the flaps for now. Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: Ky Grady