barrier coat and bottom paint

Reaction score
I am buying a 2007 GW 225 Tournament that never had bottom paint since it was a fresh water boat. My local marine guy tells me I need to strip the wax, apply barrier coat and bottom paint $1700.
My local GW dealer says strip wax, primer with barrier coat and bottom paint $660.
Now I know this looks like an obvious decision and I wanted to get your feedback if you have been through this process. Thanks

Reaction score
A couple years ago I purchased a GW225T, in Singapore. I had the bottom stripped in Phuket Thailand where I had Micron 66 applied to the hull and Trilux 33 to the aluminum drive. Make sure that you only apply Trilux 33 to the aluminum drive (Or other antifouling made specifically for application on aluminum) Also, make sure that you leave a space of at least 10cm around the aluminum drive and the Micron 66 (Or whatever else you're using) on the hull. This will help ensure that the antifouling you're using on the glass hull does not come in contact with the aluminum.

Have a look at the Interlux web-site. Micron 66 costs $500 USD per gallon in Thailand, but given the tropical conditions and the amount of growth we get, it was worth it. With 100% Tax & Duty, Thailand can be a very expensive place to live for expats.......

P1020749_zps63be4c43.jpg

P1020763.jpg

P1020759_zpse2c16090.jpg

photo_zps6c581c56.jpg

Have fun with your new GW225T,
We are.........

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the same thing to my 94 Sailfish which has lived on a lift all its life. I started the 80-grit bottom sanding over the weekend - not fun. Today I received 2 gallons of Pettit Protect Epoxy Primer from Defender and ordered two gallons of Hydrocoat - one gallon of red and one black. I'm going to put the black on top of the red and when I see red I'll repaint. I'm a fan of waterbased which is why I went with Pettit.

The Protect is $79/gal and the Hydrocoat is 129/gal at Defender but $109 and $154 at West Marine. I'm really annoyed that West Marine changed their price match policy to the 50-mile radius thing. If they were just 10% or so more expensive I would just buy there but not when they are 30% more expensive and sometimes even more than 30%. For example, last time I needed some fiberglass West Marine was selling a gallon at $49 and Home Depot had it for $22. West Marine for me is only for emergency purchases from now on...

Cheers,
-Scott

Reaction score
Thanks Scott. Your feedback is very helpful. I am undecided to whether or not to do myself. I hate painting anything...Take care, Paul from Marblehead

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Paul - is your dealer Baert Marine? I asked them how they paint new hulls and they said they first use Interlux Bottomcoat which is a hard bottom paint (not a barrier coat) followed by an ablative paint (I think it was Interlux ACT). For $660, that is probably what they quoted for you. The $1700 guy might be doing what I am doing with epoxy primer - it is a lot of work. I'm still in the sanding stage. The primer takes three coats and you have to wait 6 hours or so between coats. This topic was discussed some below. I do all my own work when I can because I am too cheap to pay someone else, and when I do, I'm usually not happy with the result... :)

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19704&p=121228&hilit=epoxy+primer#p121228

WIth an 07 hull in very good shape, I would tempted to skip the epoxy step and go with the Baert Marine approach; however, my 94 hull has had a fair bit of use so I'm doing the epoxy for piece of mind...

cgmiller

Reaction score
I did the barrier coat and switch to abaltive paint on the bottom of a 26 Shamrock and 17 Mako that I had one spring after I had 15 to 25 years of paint sand blasted off..I had to reseal the hull as the gel coat was impacted...I painted on 3 coats of barrier coat and before the last coast dried, I painted in the first coat of paint followed by 2 more in a different color....It was painless and as much joy as painting the bottom is..not....but I saved a bunch of money doing it myself....on a 2007, I would not think that you would need the barrier coat....

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you're not in the water year-round, it's a toss-up but if you do decide to do it later it'll cost more to strip off everything.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Have Baert's do it, they certainly know what they are doing. After this year, you can do it yourself or continue to to have them do it. It's a lot of work. In the process now. Hope to splash next weekend. Damn work keeps getting in the way of fun!