Barrier coat?

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have an unpainted 2000 Marlin that will finally get bottom paint. How important is it to apply a barrier coat like Interlux prior to bottom paint?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I needs to be done if you are keeping a boat in the water for months. Gelcoat (polyester) will absorb water. You can get blisters. Then you have a real project. Epoxy is waterproof. Don't skimp. The barrier can last decades if done right and not disturbed.

Reactions: loubeer

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
With Interlux Interprotect barrier coat it's important to follow the re-coat times and number of coats to create a watertight surface before bottom painting. Sort of like applying layers of overlaping/interlocking fish scales. Re-coat times important too. Needs to re-applied before the epoxy fully cures for a good chemical bond.

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
With Interlux Interprotect barrier coat it's important to follow the re-coat times and number of coats to create a watertight surface before bottom painting. Sort of like applying layers of overlaping/interlocking fish scales.
Thanks Frank. I’m having the gel coat redone in a light blue a little lighter than you did

Billv

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I needs to be done if you are keeping a boat in the water for months. Gelcoat (polyester) will absorb water. You can get blisters. Then you have a real project. Epoxy is waterproof. Don't skimp. The barrier can last decades if done right and not disturbed.
Thanks I agree no short cuts

Fishtales

Reaction score
X3. 2 coats of barrier and then the same for the ablative bottom paint.