Basic Canvas/Upholstery -

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

I am very good with my hands and like to make things. However, I don't like to waste materials, so I don't want to be making things that don't have a use.

My current boat has spray wings and a leaning post cover and that's it for canvas. I just bought a heavy duty sewing machine and plan to make a console cover, some canvas covers for things that get constant sun exposure or that tend to get beat up while fishing.

To help offset the cost of the machine, I am thinking of perhaps doing some small work for people. The boat owner removes the pieces, drops them off and reinstalls them (they could even help with the work, if they like.)

Here's my question: do you think people would be willing to pay short money for "ok" work for small jobs?

Example 1: let's say a leaning post cover costs $1,000 (let's say $200 in materials, $800 in labor) at a canvas/upholstery shop. Would someone be happy paying $500 for an "ok" job.

Example 2: let's say coaming bolsters cost $1,500 (let's say $300 in materials, $1,200 in labor) at a canvas/upholstery shop. Would someone be happy paying $750 for an "ok" job.

Thanks.

J

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think some would. After a few years even the best jobs show age and wear/tear. Folks with older boats and those that are budget conscious are prime targets.
your skills will likely improve with each job as well. Still comes down to acceptance by the customer. Ok to one person may not be ok for others.

Reactions: JJF

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I build fishing rods as a hobby...for my own use and close friends & family. They pay for components and I build at my leisure.....usually over the winter. I am constantly told I should do it as a small business....charge people for my work etc. Nope....the minute somebody is paying me they have the right to B&^ch and complain....tell me to hurry up all that stuff. I don't want to hear it...and I don't want to lose friends. Be prepared....somebody may start out all nice and casual but........

Reactions: PointedRose

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Friends and family wouldn't be charged for labor.

I get your point, though.

Reactions: Uncle Joe

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I do my own work. I'm not fast but my work is very good. Some of my pieces for friends I won't let go out. Work not good enough and I'll re-do it (start over).

You really have to learn the craft. Upholstery has its tricks. Enclosures are more of a design project - building frames, zipper placement and details, sewing difficult matériels. First enclosure I did for my boat was a wraparound Makrolon front. Came out great. But I spent a lot of time walking the docks and on friends boats making notes and drawing pictures.

I also have done some repairs for friends. This work is harder than new. Materials fail and getting clear panels out sometimes make a mess.

I have a high standard for myself. If I wouldn't pay for the work its not good enough to go out of my shop.

Attachments

• New Enclosure.jpg
    New Enclosure.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Braintree

Reaction score
I am much like you, I think. I'm good with tools and can plan things out. I looked at the cost of a new T Top and figured I could do it. I think lots of people would especially for simple repairs like a broken zipper or ripped seam. I taught myself to sew in October and took a canvas class in November. I just completed a new T Top, surround for my center console and made new cushions for everything but the bow. I am happy with the results and clearly understand my mistakes but know what I did wrong. I have a cottage on Cape Cod and everyone I know has a boat. I will happily do minor repairs, for my friends, as I learn. It will be a long time, if ever, that I would feel confident enough to open a side business.

Father's Day

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
Hi,

I am very good with my hands and like to make things. However, I don't like to waste materials, so I don't want to be making things that don't have a use.

My current boat has spray wings and a leaning post cover and that's it for canvas. I just bought a heavy duty sewing machine and plan to make a console cover, some canvas covers for things that get constant sun exposure or that tend to get beat up while fishing.

To help offset the cost of the machine, I am thinking of perhaps doing some small work for people. The boat owner removes the pieces, drops them off and reinstalls them (they could even help with the work, if they like.)

Here's my question: do you think people would be willing to pay short money for "ok" work for small jobs?

Example 1: let's say a leaning post cover costs $1,000 (let's say $200 in materials, $800 in labor) at a canvas/upholstery shop. Would someone be happy paying $500 for an "ok" job.

Example 2: let's say coaming bolsters cost $1,500 (let's say $300 in materials, $1,200 in labor) at a canvas/upholstery shop. Would someone be happy paying $750 for an "ok" job.

Thanks.

J
I understand what your trying to do, but your asking for trouble. Some will say yeah sure, and then when they come to pick it up it a whole different story. People are funny when it comes to money, and i personally won't want an OK job. More importantly I don't think this will go well for you. Just my thoughts, good luck with whatever you decide, Stay safe and have fun

Reactions: Uncle Joe

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
I’ve done some minor sewing projects. Kind of a fun challenge. Get UV resistant thread and a good sewing machine. Sunbrella can be cut with a hot knife to seal seams. Sailrite website has a lot of helpful videos.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

I just bought a brand new SailRite LS1. SailRite also sells a material with a backing that prevents the material from fraying.

Thanks for words of encouragement.