Batter charger

el jefe

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It looks like my Mastervolt 12/35 charger that I installed a little less than 4 years ago is a kaput. I am kind of surprised since the last charger I had lasted over 7 years. Any comments or recommendations for a replacement charger for my Marlin 300. I am not saying Mastervolt is not the way to go, but less than 4 years on a charger is suspect. thanks.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Pro Mariner has always done very good for me. Plus, it is what is used in many Sea Rays (I work part time there) and I very, very, very rarely come across any issues with them on owner's boats. Good customer service, too.

ttles714

Reaction score
If your Marlin is like mine, it probably has a fridge that runs on 12VDC. This puts a "load" on an ordinary charger when the boat is on shore power.. .. My original "Charles" charger crapped out. I installed a Noco Charger for the 2 starting batteries and a Samlex 12V power supply for the house batteries. I spoke to the people ( and purchased) at chargingchargers.com..... They were very knowledgeable. I also added a Samlex 2K watt inverter. Every now and then I will run the microwave or a small appliance or even the Hot water heater for a short while(while underway)...

fischer

Reaction score
I have the same boat as you. I talked to a guy who sells chargers and he recommended a dry mount charger. He claimed that for use with shore power and running 12v appliances, it was a better and more durable solution and it runs cooler. I went with the (now discontinued) Pro Mariner 1240i 40a 3 bank charger and moved the location to inside my battery compartment. The original location would probably have been fine though; if you have water that high, your battery charger is the least of your worries. Bolted it through the fish box, which I only use for storage. Had to remove the insulation from the backside of the fish box to mount it. Doesn't interfere with battery removal or maintenance. We overnight with shore power at least 2-3 times a month and so far, so good, although only about 16 months. If you want to talk to the guy, he's on THT as chargerguy and also on ebay as chargerguysales.

ahill

Reaction score
I bought a 4 bank Genius 4 from batterystuff.com in 2011. It is an incredible charger and have had no problems with it.
Their customer service guys are knowledgeable and helpful. Give them a try before you buy.